LegacyGT.com

Help in picking a 2nd aftermarket clutch

jcole05

Hi guys. Have an '05 LGT, MT, running E85 and a BNR16g with all basic supporting mods. I have a clutchmasters CX300 which is failing after ~22K miles or so. Maybe a combination of reasons but I think that part is simply the power level of the car relative to the capacity of that clutch (based upon opinion of a reputable shop in my area and a reputable person on lgt.com).

I've really liked the feel of this clutch as a replacement for stock as this car is 100% my DD. Can anyone give their opinion based upon their setup or experienced with other cars they've driven about the best possible way for me to go when I replace the fx300?

Thanks.

Do you know why this clutch only lasted a short time and do you plan to fix that ?

Before I installed my Spec 2 clutch, I wiped the new flywheel and pressure plate surface with acetone to remove any oil that may have been there.

The Spec 2+ I had in there before I put the new shortblock in had 85,0000 + miles and was still going strong.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well, from speaking to others I've assumed that the main factor shortening life is simply a mismatch between power output of the car and holding capacity of the clutch.

One reason I posted here, though, was to see if others who had the same CM clutch had been able to put through upper 300s in terms of wtq (~370-390 depending upon conditions - this is airboy / virtual dyno mind you so take with whatever grain of salt necessary) and mid 300s (~340 - 350) whp without issue. If so, then maybe, as you are implying, there are other factors which led to shortening of the clutch life.

Archived