LegacyGT.com

Tried to fix my starter...

Following some advice on a thread on another subaru forum, I attempted to repair my starter.

It was clicking a single time when I turned the key, and would usually start the car if I kept clicking the key, or if I smacked the starter with something.

So, I ordered some contacts, and a plunger, and replaced them. Put the starter back in, and now the starter motor spins, but sometimes it just spins free, and doesn't engage the flywheel. Sometimes it engages the flywheel, then seems like it goes on and off, if that makes sense. Like it isn't able to keep the gear extended.

Is this something fixable? Did I install the contacts wrong? (seemed pretty self explanatory) Or am I just due for a new starter?

It sounds like a loose connection of some sort is causing the plunger to operate unreliably. I'm unfamiliar with how the current flows through the various parts of the plunger assembly, but since the only thing you [should have] disturbed in your replacement of parts was the collection of pieces on each of the L-shaped contacts, I'd look there and make sure everything is correct. One side, as I note in my walk-through (here) has a very thinly connected wire to a flimsy aluminum plate. I'm not sure what it does, but offhand I can see that possibly having broken when you were replacing the contacts.

I'll check out both of these things, because they are both along the lines of what I was thinking.

I THOUGHT I put the shims back how they were, but then again I wasn't really thinking shims, so I didn't put a whole lot of attention to that. Is there any method to "re setting" the heights of the contacts?

There isn't really any adjustment to be made to the contacts - so long as you stacked the pieces back in the right order. I did notice when I took my starter apart the second time, that the wear marks on the contacts were uneven because when you screw everything down, they can rotate a bit. So one of the contacts was obviously only touching the plunger on one corner. So I adjusted them a bit so that they would be a bit more flush against the surface of the plunger. But that shouldn't affect the plunger moving in and out - just the current flowing through the assembly when the plunger is fully extended.

Do you still have the origional plunger? The new plunger may be too short. The plunger does 2 key steps while engaging.

1. Completes the circuit between the 2 contacts VIA the copper ring at the top of the plunger.

2. The base of the plunger activates a fork which moves the starters pinion gears to the flywheel.

If the plunger is too short or not moving it's full extention, than the fork may not be moving the gear far enough to engage.

http://www.cdxetextbook.com/electrical/chargStartLight/start/starterengage.html

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Do you still have the origional plunger? The new plunger may be too short. The plunger does 2 key steps while engaging.

1. Completes the circuit between the 2 contacts VIA the copper ring at the top of the plunger.

2. The base of the plunger activates a fork which moves the starters pinion gears to the flywheel.

If the plunger is too short or not moving it's full extention, than the fork may not be moving the gear far enough to engage.

http://www.cdxetextbook.com/electrical/chargStartLight/start/starterengage.html

I was unaware of that. I do have the original, and I will definitely check that out when I pull it back out this weekend. Thank you.

Archived