LegacyGT.com

Legacy exterior styling turnoffs

atlascomplete

i have been into the whole street racing thing, and now its starting to get old and tiresome, so i am now looking into getting a car with more luxury instead of a more "sporty" looking car like my RSX. so my choices are in the 22k area, and the Legacy 2.5GT (all of my choices are going to be used, mind you) and the IS300.

the only reason the Legacy is turning me off is the fact that if i do things, such as rims or whatever, it may look goofy. I have browsed through the other sections looking at some pics, but ive never seen one in person. whats your take on the styling?

You may be asking the wrong people...This is a forum for Legacy owners and enthusiasts. Our opinions will certainly be biased towards the Legacy. I would suggest posting the thread in more of an unbiased environment (more like edmunds.com, car and driver, etc...), with a thread title not mentioning the actual vehicle to get unbiased opinions.

I would be surprised if there wasn't someone on this site from Nevada though that could show him a Legacy

Only advice I could give would be to check out the picture sections here for what they look like... or even play around on tirerack for rims if you're into that. The aftermarket supplies are growing, but not overly available with all items (like with WRX's). Truth be told, I like my LGT b/c it looks like a sleeper and I can have some fun with it. Nothing like AWD!!

I bought one. That means I like the way it looks. Why on earth would you buy a car that doesn't excite you? Nobody is forcing you to buy this car, so if you don't like the way it looks then you should buy one that you do like. And who says putting rims on it will look goofy? Sure if you put 20 inch chrome spinners on it then you are going to look like a retard, but I doubt you would do that. There are plenty of guys who have put aftermarket wheels on the car and it looks fine.

If you are a looking for a Lego car with lots of options for styling upgrades then you should probably stick with Hondas. The LGT is still pretty hard to get styling pieces for unless you feel like paying big bucks to have them imported from Japan. Personally I think it looks fine the way it is. Upgrading the looks of the wheels isn't hard and it doesn't look goofy. Body kits aren't really an option, but the other basic mods are.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

^^ what he said ;)

Personally, I think it looks very nice stock. Even my wagon.

With all the box-on-a-box cars, egg cars, silver cars, etc, my wagon sticks out. It looks unique.

Personally and honestly, I think the stock Legacy (sedan) looks boring. I think the rear end looks waaaay too much like a Camry. I wouldn't say it's ugly, but it sure as heck ain't pretty. :lol: Then again, it's purely my opinion. Hopefully when the Legacy gets redesigned with the new nose that the Tribeca and WRX have gotten, it'll look a little bit more "interesting". But that rear end... :rolleyes:

So why did I buy a car that I don't particularly like the looks of? Looks aren't everything. :D Performance, price, reliability were way more important factors for me.

Having said all that I have seen pics of modded Legacies, and some of them do look pretty hot. Most were JDM kits however.

P.S. I think you would be hard pressed to find an IS300 for 22k. Maybe used with loads of miles... And I believe a Legacy is faster than an IS300.

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

I was asking the same thing 3 weeks ago and soon will be the proud pappa of a used '05 black GT limited wagon.

I drove an IS300 and must admit I still think its one of the hottest looking cars out. But........I thought the inside styling was a bit old. And then there is the performance, or lack thereof after driving a LGT. I think the IS300 would be a fine choice (I do believe it to have better long term reliability as it is a Toyota). Check out the mpgs tho. A friend of mine says he is lucky to break 20 with his. My girlfriend gets 22/27 city/highway and she drives like a fiend.

what starlabs said. I think my Legacy is pretty ugly for what it is. I've seen the JDM ones with the non-bulldog severe underbite bumpers and they look much much better. But then I care about performance and usefulness of cargo area. I was looking at the audi A4 wagon.. It was a looker for sure, but that was pretty much it. 200 hp with 30 mpg on the highway (according to EPA) is nice and it looks nice and the interior is nice, but it's too small for my needs and the LGT was much bigger cargo area wise and had better performance to boot. Also, the moonroof on the wagon is killer.

Well I decided LGT over trying to talk my parents into letting me get an sti because I think the LGT looks a lot better. The front is beautiful (once you take care of that ugly chrome). I like the sleekness, the smaller hoodscoop and I love the way the headlights look the front reminds me of an Eagle(the bird) for some reason it looks kinda mean. Many people dont like the back but I love it its plain and basic the, I like how the lights are anglular and not rounded, but the dual tips just say its more than just a family hauler. But than again if you ask someone with a 330ci they just might think the LGT is butt ugly. heh.

The only part of the Legacy I have not liked is in the wagon tail light setup.

The pointy bit is horrible and the lens way too large and too much red that is fake and does nothing.

However saying that, the JDM rear lens garnish has made a huge difference to the look of the arse end and now I adore it.

Rob.

WEll i don't like anything about my car! It's WAAAAYYYY to underpowered, the exterior color choices are gay, the sunroof is too big, the dash sucks, the leather seats suck, the tires suck, I hate the "turbo lag", I hate not having a nav system in the car, xm radio stock, the tires suck...........oh I already said that, I hate AWD, etc etc etc...............

:D

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

WEll i don't like anything about my car! It's WAAAAYYYY to underpowered, the exterior color choices are gay, the sunroof is too big, the dash sucks, the leather seats suck, the tires suck, I hate the "turbo lag", I hate not having a nav system in the car, xm radio stock, the tires suck...........oh I already said that, I hate AWD, etc etc etc...............

i agree man... the legacy is suck.

I did the Camry thing. I saw it from the rear, and was like WTF, mate? And I got all excited and tried to hump the tailpipe, then I realized it was a CAMRY, and it was like The Crying Game, and I threw up and was horrified.

I think the Acura TSX, Legacy GT, and Mazda 6 are the three sexiest cars in class that I have EVER laid eyes on, and in that order. If the TSX was AWD and forced induction, it would be a tougher decision. We smoked the taillights and corners, took it to Cobb Stage 1, and no one could have a sexier car than this black beauty.

That said, I've been referring to the sedan. The wagon, meh. At least the black OBXT is sexy.

I love the Legacy GT, it's so stealth that even the STi drivers cock an eyebrow after you pull a car length on them at a stop light.

Never start modding, kids. It's too late for me, save yourselves!

Hooray for 07+ AccessPORT!

The wagon looks better anyway.

As someone else said the US spec bumpers are god awful and make the car look somewhat agricultural. It's amazing how much better the JDM version looks just because of the bumpers!

Anyway, most of the 'sporty' looking alternatives look pretty lame disappearing in the rear view mirror

Here's my question for you: why do you feel the urge to "do things" to the car?

I'm not into modding. I buy a car to drive it. If I don't like how a car drives, then I buy a car that I do like.

I have never understood the appeal of aftermarket rims, unless there is a specific goal in mind, e.g. snow tires, lower-profile tires, etc. But I am not interested in the "bling" factor. YMMV, of course. But if you're moving away from the "street racing thing," then you may also want to choose a car that will allow you to do mods if you like, but that won't need mods to achieve your goals.

Styling is purely subjective, and some people find it more important than others. I think the LGT looks perfectly acceptable, but I put more weight in the tangibles: how comfortable it is, how well it handles, how much stuff I can haul, how smooth and tractable the engine is, etc.

HTH.

i have been into the whole street racing thing, and now its starting to get old and tiresome, so i am now looking into getting a car with more luxury instead of a more "sporty" looking car like my RSX. so my choices are in the 22k area, and the Legacy 2.5GT (all of my choices are going to be used, mind you) and the IS300.

the only reason the Legacy is turning me off is the fact that if i do things, such as rims or whatever, it may look goofy. I have browsed through the other sections looking at some pics, but ive never seen one in person. whats your take on the styling?

Archived