LegacyGT.com

Coolant hoses I need parts numbers

I'm replacing the radiator and while waiting for the new one to arrive I want to gather some new hoses.

I see there is a hose off the thermostat housing that goes over to the oil filter housing. What is that called, an oil cooler hose? What is the part number?

I imagine there are two transmission lines - part numbers?

The other hoses inlet / outlet will be easy to price.

There is no way I will go to my local Subbie dealer because they are (I won't be kind) they are a rip-off.

If I do use a dealer it will be the one that is 30 miles to my north because they charge about 70% of my local dealer.

I saw the one hose on a Subaru parts site - OEM 1997 Subaru Legacy Bypass Hose - Thermostat To Pipe-3 and that little hose was $23. WTH? My Jaguar hose never ever never cost so much and they were big hoses, some oddly formed. I could buy an entire Jaguar hose kit (about 13 hoses) for $90. $24 for one small hose is crazy!!

So I need the parts nmaes and or numbers so I can shop around. Subbie parts are rather proud of their pricing.

Thanks that is a good site. But I couldn't find the hoses in the included pictures. It is a hose that connects to the thermostat housing, then there is a pipe and then a hose at the other end that connects at the oil filter housing.

What the heck! I've searched the internet and can not find a 1997 Outback Limited with a thermo housing that has two hoses. I know it is a 2.5 but now I'm wondering what 2.5 model car did the previous owner snatch this engine transplant.

I did see a picture here

http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25279

PB110014.JPG.be3b310351aaf5a94b4b586ed73de2fa.JPG

PB110015.JPG.0b27e139ef98c0876c33df5b7d7b880f.JPG

You can't find it because that is actually an oil cooler setup and no Legacy or Impreza came with it. It cools oil as it flow through the oil filter.

That motor actually came out of a Forester, and I believe only Forester with a "tow package" came with that setup. I also believe that you have a Phase 2 bottom end there, with a Phase 1 top end.

Search '99 to '02 Foresters for that part.

Just rebuilt the same motor. 98 Forester originally. The curved hose is 807611071. Cost me almost $7 at my dealer.. The straight hose you can replace with the same size heater hose.

The 98 is still phase one. 48mm rod journals and thrust on #3.

O.

Do you have a Napa nearby?

Should just be regular radiator hose. So you can bargain bin it as long as there isn't any crazy turns and it's not a formed hose. Barring that, you should be able to go to any of the parts places and get a piece and cut it to what you need. Unless you only have small stores near you that don't stock the "general use" type stuff....in which case i'd say keep looking for part numbers. I don't trust 16yr olds in polos to order the right things.

So I have a Frankenstein motor? A Fraken-motor with a piece from this model, a bit from that model, etc. When I get parts should I get Forester or Outback parts?

If there is a Forester motor in there should I have a different ECU, MAF, etc.?

You can't find it because that is actually an oil cooler setup and no Legacy or Impreza came with it. It cools oil as it flow through the oil filter.

That motor actually came out of a Forester, and I believe only Forester with a "tow package" came with that setup. I also believe that you have a Phase 2 bottom end there, with a Phase 1 top end.

Search '99 to '02 Foresters for that part.

I don't do towing, it isn't a turbo that I beat the crap out of so why even cool the oil. When it is zero degrees outside I don't want any oil cooling.

I could just get another thermostat housing (Outback one) and not even use the pipe connection arrangement to the oil cooler? Two less hoses out of the mix is a good thing.

Although I have not ascertained how the coolant flows back into the radiator. There is no connection to the radiator from the cooler.

The elbow at the thermostat housing looks like a prime location for fatigue and I am wondering about taking the pipe out of the mix and going with one long piece of hose.

So I have a Frankenstein motor? A Fraken-motor with a piece from this model, a bit from that model, etc. When I get parts should I get Forester or Outback parts?

If there is a Forester motor in there should I have a different ECU, MAF, etc.?

Possibly (if so, it's like the motor that came in the '99 Outback), or you do have a '98 Forester engine (as Osei suggested). If that is the case, it is one whole motor that is a Phase 1. If you're buying parts, unless it's for the oil cooler, you can order them for a Legacy GT, Outback, or Forester. As far as the ECU, MAF, etc, are concerned, there is no reason that they would have been swapped over with the engine. Unless they were damaged, it's safe to say that they haven't been touched.

Although I have not ascertained how the coolant flows back into the radiator. There is no connection to the radiator from the cooler./QUOTE]

This, I do not know. I have never actually taken that close of a look.

I'm getting so M'f-in ticked off at this car I feel like selling it as soon as I get the new rad installed. I CAN NOT find one picture all over the internet of someone selling the thermostat with the extra hose. I search the Forester and 99 Outback.

My dealer parts guy said they didn't have the part 807611071 in stock and could not verify what it looked like or which engines it fit.

I changed the rad on my 95 2.2 in about 45 minutes (included clean-up). Finding the hoses was no problem at my local parts store. :spin:

Possibly (if so, it's like the motor that came in the '99 Outback), or you do have a '98 Forester engine (as Osei suggested). If that is the case, it is one whole motor that is a Phase 1. If you're buying parts, unless it's for the oil cooler, you can order them for a Legacy GT, Outback, or Forester. As far as the ECU, MAF, etc, are concerned, there is no reason that they would have been swapped over with the engine. Unless they were damaged, it's safe to say that they haven't been touched.

Although I have not ascertained how the coolant flows back into the radiator. There is no connection to the radiator from the cooler./QUOTE]

This, I do not know. I have never actually taken that close of a look.

So, if you do a search for ' subaru OEM oil cooler ' you will get some good images.

In the picture you posted, you can just see another hose fitting in the top of the frame. The hose comes out, takes a 90 and goes up into the block. Presumably to a difficult to see and equally difficult to access area behind the cooler.

If you want to remove the cooler it should be pretty straight forward, it is basically an oil filter extension. Remove the oil filter, unscrew the flow through extender, remove the the cooler and lines, remove the hose fitting on the block and replace it with a stock plug, replace your thermostat housing with one without the extra hose fitting, and bingo bango, no more cooler.

Then, since the cooler is worth a couple hundred dollars, sell it make up for the frustration it has caused you!

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoKqJdIJS4GUAmh6JzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTIyajUzNDRqBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZAMxYWQ3ZjA3ZjI4ODA0YTNiZGUyNmVkMzk0ZWYyMmU4ZARncG9zAzIEaXQDYmluZw--?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dsubaru%2Boem%2Boil%2Bcooler%26fr%3Dyfp-hrtab-901%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D2&w=286&h=300&imgurl=i.ebayimg.com%2Ft%2FSUBARU-OEM-21311AA010-Engine-Oil-Cooler-%2F00%2Fs%2FMTA0N1gxMDAw%2Fz%2FR6YAAMXQfFJRXUuw%2F%24T2eC16d%2C%21zoE9s5ngH4pBR%28UuvER7%21%7E%7E60_35.JPG&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FSUBARU-OEM-21311AA010-Engine-Oil-Cooler-%2F251256106466&size=25.4KB&name=%3Cb%3ESUBARU%3C%2Fb%3E-%3Cb%3EOEM%3C%2Fb%3E-21311AA010-Engine-%3Cb%3EOil%3C%2Fb%3E-%3Cb%3ECooler%3C%2Fb%3E&p=subaru+oem+oil+cooler&oid=1ad7f07f28804a3bde26ed394ef22e8d&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-hrtab-901&tt=%3Cb%3ESUBARU%3C%2Fb%3E-%3Cb%3EOEM%3C%2Fb%3E-21311AA010-Engine-%3Cb%3EOil%3C%2Fb%3E-%3Cb%3ECooler%3C%2Fb%3E&b=0&ni=144&no=2&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=12dib1543&sigb=13i5mb5sr&sigi=148dek73u&.crumb=3OCLgk48SNS&fr=yfp-hrtab-901

http://groovesubaruparts.com/parts/2001/SUBARU/Forester/L/?siteid=218146&vehicleid=174935&section=COOLING%20SYSTEM

Thanks.

I didn't use "subaru OEM oil cooler" without adding Outback or Forester. I get hits with only subaru OEM oil cooler. They are pricey little things aren't they.

I'll call my dealer about the piece. The image is for a 2001 Forester L --- I wonder if that is what my engine is from?

http://groovesubaruparts.com/parts/2001/SUBARU/Forester/L?siteid=218146&vehicleid=174935&diagram=7601060

So, if you do a search for ' subaru OEM oil cooler ' you will get some good images.

In the picture you posted, you can just see another hose fitting in the top of the frame. The hose comes out, takes a 90 and goes up into the block. Presumably to a difficult to see and equally difficult to access area behind the cooler.

If you want to remove the cooler it should be pretty straight forward, it is basically an oil filter extension. Remove the oil filter, unscrew the flow through extender, remove the the cooler and lines, remove the hose fitting on the block and replace it with a stock plug, replace your thermostat housing with one without the extra hose fitting, and bingo bango, no more cooler.

Then, since the cooler is worth a couple hundred dollars, sell it make up for the frustration it has caused you!

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoKqJdIJS4GUAmh6JzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTIyajUzNDRqBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZAMxYWQ3ZjA3ZjI4ODA0YTNiZGUyNmVkMzk0ZWYyMmU4ZARncG9zAzIEaXQDYmluZw--?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dsubaru%2Boem%2Boil%2Bcooler%26fr%3Dyfp-hrtab-901%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D2&w=286&h=300&imgurl=i.ebayimg.com%2Ft%2FSUBARU-OEM-21311AA010-Engine-Oil-Cooler-%2F00%2Fs%2FMTA0N1gxMDAw%2Fz%2FR6YAAMXQfFJRXUuw%2F%24T2eC16d%2C%21zoE9s5ngH4pBR%28UuvER7%21%7E%7E60_35.JPG&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FSUBARU-OEM-21311AA010-Engine-Oil-Cooler-%2F251256106466&size=25.4KB&name=%3Cb%3ESUBARU%3C%2Fb%3E-%3Cb%3EOEM%3C%2Fb%3E-21311AA010-Engine-%3Cb%3EOil%3C%2Fb%3E-%3Cb%3ECooler%3C%2Fb%3E&p=subaru+oem+oil+cooler&oid=1ad7f07f28804a3bde26ed394ef22e8d&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-hrtab-901&tt=%3Cb%3ESUBARU%3C%2Fb%3E-%3Cb%3EOEM%3C%2Fb%3E-21311AA010-Engine-%3Cb%3EOil%3C%2Fb%3E-%3Cb%3ECooler%3C%2Fb%3E&b=0&ni=144&no=2&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=12dib1543&sigb=13i5mb5sr&sigi=148dek73u&.crumb=3OCLgk48SNS&fr=yfp-hrtab-901

http://groovesubaruparts.com/parts/2001/SUBARU/Forester/L/?siteid=218146&vehicleid=174935&section=COOLING%20SYSTEM

Ok. I have decided to just change the radiator. My local dealer has the part for $22 which is absurd for a two inch hose but that isn't the reason I'm leaving it alone.

The previous owner torqued the one thermostat housing bolt so much that the head on the bolt is rounded. I PB-blasted the bolts and one came loose and the other won't budge. So my fear is that I will break a bolt off and that would not be fun.

So I will just install my radiator and the upper and lower hoses are so new that they still have the stickers on them. The previous owner must have changed them when the engine was installed.

I will keep the numbers for the part and tackle it in the summer. I just can't do my usual protocol of changing all hoses when I do the radiator.

Thanks

You can remove the cooler as suggested or I can order the hose from my dealer. $7 plus $2 to ship. PM me if interested.

You basically have an EJ25D, of unknown phase. Doesn't matter. The 2.2 ecu up to 98 will run this engine no problem. As many who have swapped 2.2's into OB/GT can attest.

The cooler takes coolant from the block and runs it into the t stat housing so that it circulates with the other stuff.

The T stat housing with the extra nipple cost me $22, so are you sure they are quoting you a price for the hose?

Don't think a regular parts store hose will work. The opening is slightly larger on the nipple side.

Package is marked 11x18x47x47, which I "assume" is the dia and lengths of the sections in mm.

O.

My local dealer is insanely over priced. If I go thirty miles north a part that my local would $20 for I can get at the northern dealer for about half.

It is the hose, they qualified that it is a hose. They said it is Part 807611031 and it is a hose.

You can remove the cooler as suggested or I can order the hose from my dealer. $7 plus $2 to ship. PM me if interested.

You basically have an EJ25D, of unknown phase. Doesn't matter. The 2.2 ecu up to 98 will run this engine no problem. As many who have swapped 2.2's into OB/GT can attest.

The cooler takes coolant from the block and runs it into the t stat housing so that it circulates with the other stuff.

The T stat housing with the extra nipple cost me $22, so are you sure they are quoting you a price for the hose?

Don't think a regular parts store hose will work. The opening is slightly larger on the nipple side.

Package is marked 11x18x47x47, which I "assume" is the dia and lengths of the sections in mm.

O.

Archived