LegacyGT.com

First time Subaru owner and my cars body is in rough shape.

I've owned a Ford Focus before this but this is my first Subaru. I got the car for free after it sat for about 6 months under a tree. Due to this the front fender has a 3 inch hole in it and one rocker panel is completely gone. I have never had to do body work before and don't really even know where to begin. I'm a university student so I don't have a lot of money to get this done professionally

I was hoping that someone may be able to point me towards articles or videos on the best way to do body work without a welder.

Thanks for the help!

I've owned a Ford Focus before this but this is my first Subaru. I got the car for free after it sat for about 6 months under a tree. Due to this the front fender has a 3 inch hole in it and one rocker panel is completely gone.

Better late than never, welcome. Any pictures?

the best way to do body work without a welder

Depending on the scope of the damage, That could be interesting. :eek:

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj605/Idahorec/018D0056-B409-4CB4-A1CF-5D1910F2C2D5-670-0000006BD1235A65_zps52125e23.jpg

The front fender is easily replaced so I wouldn't bother trying to fix it. The rocker panel could be (theoretically) fixed by cutting out the metal and JB welding in some sheet metal. I saw a guy do this on his Explorer on a forum a while back but not an ideal fix. Check out my bodywork thread for an idea on how much work it is to fix a rear quarter panel: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/monkeyposeurs-hatch-replacement-and-body-work-thread-175934.html

Post some pics so we can see the damage and give you a better idea of what a repair would entail.

But first things first. Start with some maintenance (plugs, wires, timing belt, filters, etc.)

well....Monkey is right about the fender....they can be picked up all day long at a yard and are normally in decent/good shape.

Pretty much every 2nd gen i've seen has gotten the subaru rocker rust unless it was meticulously taken care of....perks of living in a state that loves road salt mixed with multiple layers of metal coming together above the wheel to make a little rust pocket.

Without welding will be tough, but not impossible. If I had to suggest something, I'd say cut your rocker and channel/flange it, then cut a patch panel and rivet it in then go crazy with body filler to cover the rivet heads and panel lines....sand and paint. I can't see any reason why the JB wouldn't work either so you could go that route as well. It all depends on the extent of the repair and where, as well as how much solid metal you have around it to work with.

Oh, and welcome!

I'm a big fan of pop riveting metal patches in place of rust. It's worked pretty well over the years for my '88 Nissan Hardbody truck (Virginia doesn't use a lot of road salt, but late 80's Nissan trucks didn't have the rust protection that the 90's versions had). It's a good alternative if you don't have a welding torch handy.

People here freak out as soon as they see snow and start crashing into everything. So the good ole D.O.T goes out and just dumps truckloads of salt. There are literally speedbumps made purely out of road salt in places during winter. And most of the time when they go salt crazy, the snow has already melted leaving nothing but insta-rust everywhere.

Rivets are next best to welds as far as I'm concerned....and sometimes better depending on who you're letting weld your panel. No distortion to deal with.

I'm a big fan of pop riveting metal patches in place of rust. It's worked pretty well over the years for my '88 Nissan Hardbody truck (Virginia doesn't use a lot of road salt, but late 80's Nissan trucks didn't have the rust protection that the 90's versions had). It's a good alternative if you don't have a welding torch handy.

Not sure what part of VA you're in, but they salt the shit out of the roads out my way.

Not sure what part of VA you're in, but they salt the shit out of the roads out my way.

Culpeper county- don't do squat with the roads around here in the winter- i don't see much salt until I get into Prince William county going to work. Actually my '98 spent its first 15 winters up in Montgomery County, MD- no rust so far (fingers crossed).

Culpeper county- don't do squat with the roads around here in the winter- i don't see much salt until I get into Prince William county going to work. Actually my '98 spent its first 15 winters up in Montgomery County, MD- no rust so far (fingers crossed).

Tazewell county salted the roads today because its supposed to get below freezing tonight :icon_conf

they changed todays, high of 91. yay us! lol

Ugghhh- no thanks- left that weather back in August and it can stay there!. I would like it warmer than the 39 degrees we have now (mid 60's by this weekend). Looks like I'll be waiting longer to see my Subie in the snow here in VA.

Archived