LegacyGT.com

5th gen vs spec b help, time for a new next subie

dek715

So

Found a 09 spec b 49200 miles asking 22k private seller

Seems stock looks like sti or rota rims supposed 1 owner(father/son)

Anything I should look for? Things to check out...seems very low miles for the age of car. Anyone could recommend a good mechanic around nc/Durham that could check out the car.

This would also be a DD car. Kinda feel bad to have such a unique car that will rack up miles vs 10-12 lgt limited.

So

said it before, will say it again. As much as I love spec Bs, anything over 20k is just too close to Brand spanking new WRX off the lot man. 25k gets you basic WRX. If performance is of any concerns- look at it that way: WRX is 300 LBS lighter it has VF52 that will get you close to 300TQ on basic stage 1 tune and most importantly you are set service wise for another 60k miles. SPec B is a 4 year old car now and it would make sense to buy it for that price only if you can guarantee that nothing brakes within next 50k miles. My 0.02

said it before, will say it again. As much as I love spec Bs, anything over 20k is just too close to Brand spanking new WRX off the lot man. 25k gets you basic WRX. If performance is of any concerns- look at it that way: WRX is 300 LBS lighter it has VF52 that will get you close to 300TQ on basic stage 1 tune and most importantly you are set service wise for another 60k miles. SPec B is a 4 year old car now and it would make sense to buy it for that price only if you can guarantee that nothing brakes within next 50k miles. My 0.02

Maybe but insurance on a WRX is a lot more than what it is for a spec.B. Also there is a huge difference in refinement between a LGT and a WRX.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

I had both a spec b and now have one of the very last 5th gens made.....there are definitely pros and cons and you have to weigh them vs what is important to you. the one thing that i miss the most from the spec b are the seats. If you love a very supportive seat and that is important to you, you may not love the 5th gen. having said that, i like my 5th gen in every other way. it is much faster (both stage 2 customer tuned by cobb) and much larger, and gets same mpg (we average 27 combined)....in short, if you have family or several people that will regularly ride in the car, the spec b will get old...if you are single and love tossing it around, spec b may be more fun....keep us posted on what you do

Agreed a new wrx could be had for around the same price. Honestly only way I would go to wrx would be a hatch sti that's about it. Want a little more refinement like said moon roof leather larger seating.

I'm in ny so our winters can be nothing or can be a tundra. Have to commute to work regardless of weather. Only thing also that kinda gets me is 10-12 have electronic e brake? Not fun.

Insurance is a lot more for a wrx vs legacy even if it's a spec b. insurance sees wrx turbo and then $$$$$$

As it is my 07 seats suck, have a somewhat bad back need a little more cushion but also don't want a Cadillac soft couch seat

Not really looking for a performance beast. Will def do some bolt ons for minor upgrades but not gonna make it a track killer or time challenge machine. A DD with some speed and refinement

So

Seems stock looks like sti or rota rims supposed 1 owner(father/son)

Anything I should look for? Things to check out...seems very low miles for the age of car. Anyone could recommend a good mechanic around nc/Durham that could check out the car.

This would also be a DD car. Kinda feel bad to have such a unique car that will rack up miles vs 10-12 lgt limited.

49k miles is just on the low side of average for a 4 or 5 year old car.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm

At 60k miles it's going to need spark plugs, coolant, trans/diff oil, and whatever else I'm missing for the 60k service. You start to get into major service items at +90k miles (timing belt, clutch, etc.). How much you drive annually and how DIY-capable you are will affect when and how much you shell out. I'm not trying to sway you; my specB had 90k on it when I bought it. Just factor that in.

Maybe but insurance on a WRX is a lot more than what it is for a spec.B. Also there is a huge difference in refinement between a LGT and a WRX.

True. I know insurance varies a lot, but for example, I'm 25 and my '07 specB costs less to insure than the '07 Focus 5-door that it replaced (exact same insurance). Maybe it helps that in Michigan, my specB is registered as a station wagon ;)

difference in interest paid on used car vs. new car financing will pay for difference in insurance easily. I don't know if there HUGE diff. in refinement but again I said : if performance is more important, new WRX will be better platform.

My interest rate on my spec.B was 2.99% and on a brand new 2011 WRX I was offered 1.5%. The difference in monthly payments was not enough to cover the extra $800 a year on insurance the WRX was going to cost me. I was cross shopping a new WRX with the LGT in 2011. I nearly bought a brand new WRX then and actually walked away from the deal simply because of insurance costs and lack of refinement in the WRX.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Spec b - car, 5th gen - sedan... IMO.

Sometime I've got to drive a spec b with a six speed... I like mine in my 5th gen. I do have the STi SS. power threshold of it? Im almost at 50k with 35k pushing quite a bit on stock.

This is simply a taste issue. Drive 'em both. Pick one.

• 2 months later...

Back again.....so now the search continues. I have a new job so have a little more money to finance or buy a lgt now. But add to the fact that my wife 2010 passat lease is about 1500 miles away from hers mileage and has about a yr left on the lease:mad:trying to convince her to test drive and look for a NA leather w sunroof. Any advice of 3.6r vs 2.5i or event 2.5gt. She needs auto

So going backto points about 5th gen lgt. Try to look for 2010 end yr 2011+ to avoid shimmy issue. Are there other things to look for in diff model years or are they only slight variances. Also, driving A lot I need amazing lighting. So for lights are they projector halogen or hid on lgt those years? Would hid conversion be a PIA? Fogs for that matter also.

Navigation...is it decent to use as a full time vs getting aftermarket DVD/nav unit?

Yup, test drive a 3.6R. 2010-2011s: Set tire pressure to 35 front/33 rear. Look at tread wear for alignment issues (front and rear tires); find a smooth stretch of highway and take the car from 65 - 80 mph slowly. If the "shimmy" exists, there will be a mechanical vibration that is only felt in a 3-5mph region. Example: Shimmy peak is 76 mph Starts at 74, ends at 78.

So we are focusing on the wife for now. Test drove a 2014 2.5i limited. She will most likely be getting a legacy now just determining lease vs finance since vw lease is a mess. Finance new for her is still a little too high for us at this point. CPO or lease a 2014.

Are there changes that were made between 2011/2012 vs 2013/2014 models. Anything nice of 2013 vs 2014. If I can find a nice CPO 2013 which can save some depreciation on the car.

Get a 13 over the 10-12s if you can swing it. Improved suspension for stiffer ride, better looking grille, bumper and lights. Second gen CVT is lighter and should operate smoother. FB25 engine is new. Don't know much about it. Others do.

Archived