LegacyGT.com

Help... car sputters when stopped at a light

I have a automatic 98 lgt wagon and just put the motor back in after replacing the head gasket, valve cover gasket, intake & exhaust gasket, cam & crank seals and spark plugs and wires. Car starts and idles fine when in park. However when in drive it bogs down and sputters when stopped at a light. Also the lights on the dash also start to dim as if there's a problem with the alternator. Car had thrown a code for P0106 once put has not reappeared since. Would greatly appreciate if anyone can offer advice on what the problem might possibly be.

Clean your MAF And check your connection, check your pugs and wires, replace your fuel filter, check your fuel pressure, check coil pack and injectors. Check your grounds, have your alternator and battery checked. Vacuum lines...

If it wasn't dimming pre HG....then I would automatically say grounds. Chances of something else electrical going catawampus in that time is pretty slim....but don't rule it out.

Stumbling issue....I'd say to check all your vacuum lines first....small ones like to hide while re-attaching everything. Especially with the 106 code...as leaks can sometimes throw a map code.

Good luck,

-LT

Dimming is normal not enough rpm to build voltage.

Does your car have the phase 2 2.2 engine 98.5 had them I think? Does it stumble if you mash the throttle in neutral at idle? I have the same issue.. pretty sure it is MAF related.

ive checked over the car and i realized there was a few vacuum leaks, ive connected all of them except one. in the pic below there is a vacuum line right above the coil pack but i cant seem to figure out where it goes, does anyone know where this line hooks up to?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f242/icecube95/downloadfhj_zps2e2fc683.jpg

Not near my car or else I'd just wander out and open the hood to check.

Vacuum diagram attached....from a 99, but should be the same. Ought to be one of these under your hood somewhere unless it got removed.

vacuum_EJ25.jpg.b7f3b909a2ec432e7b49616f61a9d08f.jpg

Maybe this'll help, i'll try to check whenever I get out to my car what goes where. But from what you're describing....seems like the line for the EVAP to re-enter the intake from the purge solenoid. Its the little plastic doodad under passenger side of intake. Has two vacuum ports, one electrical connector, and has a metal bracket attached to it that has a single bolt holding it to intake. Careful with it as the older solenoid's vacuum ports like to crack/snap if you're rough with them.

problem solved, turned out to be a problem with the coil pack, i removed the msd coil and put the stock one back and the car runs great. I will rewire the msd later and hopefully it will work properly. thank you to everyone who provided help! as for the the vacuum line on the manifold, i still see no where for it to plug into, so i just capped it off and it doesnt seem to be giving any problems!

Good to hear you got it figured out. If it turns out to be the purge solenoid vacuum line you'll throw a code after about 12-20mi once the evap system gets a chance to try and throw fumes back in for combustion. And the valve will vent to atmos.

Then again you might not get a code....the emissions codes can be weird sometimes.

Archived