LegacyGT.com

Do I replace timing belt and water pump before selling 2006 Spec B?

Hi All,

I am going to be selling my beloved 2006 Spec B soon and I am wondering if I should replace the timing belt, water pump, tensioner and pulleys before selling? I have 104k miles on it and it is due now, I actually have an appointment with a very reputable Subaru mechanic who is also a tuner shop, so they know these cars inside and out.

Question is, since I plan on selling it as soon as I can get pics posted, do I waste money on the replacement? I am of the mindset that I always do every bit of maintenance when it is due no matter when I am going to sell. But I am starting to think maybe someone would want to do it on their own?

Am I throwing money away? Thanks for any advice.

By the way, my car is mint, always has been. Maintained like clock-work and kept byu a fanatical, almost obsessed owner.

I suppose it depends on who you're selling it to.

The question is, will you recoup the cost of the service by being able to command a premium over a similar model for sale with similar miles that hasn't had the service performed.

My gut says no.

If you were doing the work yourself, I'd say you probably could get it back. . .but if you're paying someone to do it, probably not. You'll be able to get some back, but probably not dollar for dollar what the service cost.

I do all my own work, so I'm biased.

Yeah, this is my struggle. I would want to think that since I am doing all this work and the car will be 100% ready to go that I could command a higher price, but we all know how buyers haggle. I kind of feel like they will haggle that it is worth nothing if I do it, or haggle that it needs to be done so drop the price.

I feel screwed either way.

Basically I am looking for someone who really knows the value of maintenance and will pay a slight premium for it. This car will be like new once I do the TB. Since I am not in any hurry to sell it, I may just do the work and drive the car until I feel I have gotten my own moneys worth in the maintenance, then pass off the car to the next person who knows he will have about 100k miles before it needs to be done again.

I am struggling with this.

I'll put it like this:

Have you ever recoup'd the cost of a set of tires when selling a car? And that's something people can see.

People are gonna haggle, period. You know what the service costs (presumably), and you know what your expectations are for what you want out of it (also presumably), so just don't negotiate beyond sales price-service cost. If they push you beyond that, tell them you'll have the service done and they can pay the higher price. Usually they either shut up or pay up at that point.

I'd say change the belt. Maybe you wont get the exact amount of dollars back, to be fair probably not. But it will be a hell lot mor attractive on the market.. For example when i'm looking to buy a used car. I always filter away those who have not had the cambelt/timing belt recentlyreplaced. At least if they are in the mileage where it should be replaced soon. Did that make any sense? :) My point: I would do it since i would feel it to be an easier sell.

On this, you must let your conscience be your guide. Personally, I wouldn't feel very good about myself if I sold the car and then the new owner had a problem 5K down the road. Perhaps, if you do have it done, and show the potential buyer that you did and how much you spent, it would remove that haggling part. Everyone knows that when someone lists "New Battery" or "New Brakes", it doesn't really matter because the car simply won't run without it.

If you disclose to the potential buyer that he will have to incur those expenses immediately after buying, think he'll stick around? Have it done and tell him simply, this what I spent and now you're good for at least another 100K and show him in the Subaru maintenance guide that it's supposed to be done. It will CERTAINLY give you a lot more credibility as a seller and reinforce your asking price.

This is a tuff choice. If you plan to sell it here, there is the buying that will DIY and save a few hundred.

Get the cost of the TB job from the dealer. Post your sale price less the timing belt, put the cost of the TB job in the ad. If the buyer wants you to do it, then the buyer will know what the cost is.

If the buyer wants to DIY, he can pay less money.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thank you all for the thoughtful responses. As much as I want to forgo the TB change, I am going to do it and then plan to sell when I am ready. This way the car will be 100% and I will get to drive it for a short while.

This thread says a lot about your own personal integrity-something that's difficult to find anymore. I give you a thumbs up for your conscientiousness and caring and I'm sure that a potential buyer will be able to see for themselves that you are honest and solid and I predict you'll be able to get your asking price without too much haggle.

Just think about how many threads on here that talk about "I just bought the car and the turbo blew" or "I got the car about a month ago and had to put a clutch in it". NO ONE will ever post that about your car and that's a good thing for your own peace of mind.

;)

Agree, when I bought my used 09 SpecB the owner had all the service records and all the detail shop reciepts.

I didn't hangle much, it was obvious the car was well cared for.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

This is a tuff choice. If you plan to sell it here, there is the buying that will DIY and save a few hundred.

Get the cost of the TB job from the dealer. Post your sale price less the timing belt, put the cost of the TB job in the ad. If the buyer wants you to do it, then the buyer will know what the cost is.

If the buyer wants to DIY, he can pay less money.

I would have done this. Be up front about it. If the buyer haggles about it and nothing else, you don't lose much on the sale.

IMO your making the right decision having it done. You may not get all of your money back, but it should will be a much easier and quicker sale. Figure if you were stuck with the car for a while the "carrying cost" (taxes, insurance, etc..) might add up so whatever helps you get a quicker sale might be worth it.

Personally I would just change the required part timing belt. The tensioners/pulleys can get inspected etc. If the water pump is not leaking forget it.

My wife(not worth arguing) chose this route(her 05LGT wagon) and we are at 170k miles now no issues. Her feeling was last two Honda's did fine like this. Spent $300 at 105k see if the gamble pays off.

NO ONE will ever post that about your car and that's a good thing for your own peace of mind.

;)

It's a used car, not a kidney transplant.

Peace of mind and treefiddy will get you a tall latte at Starbucks. Being upfront and honest that a car you're selling is due for necessary service is a far cry from malicious omissions like not mentioning a recently grenaded and replaced turbo.

It's simple economics. You know what the service costs, take your asking price and deduct the price of the service from it. It's a lot safer bet than spending the money and then hoping to get it back.

Thanks. Since the car is my daily driver the carrying cost is really irrelevant. The way I see it once the work is done it is only to my financial advantage to keep driving it as those will be more months where I don't have any car payment. I am doing the full ball of wax (belt, water pump, tensioner, all pulleys and thermostat) in the event I wind up driving her for another 6-12 months.

I am planning on moving up to a 335Xi so the longer I can stave off that car payment the better. It is a shame to me that Subaru just abandoned the "poor man's" Bmw335 or Audi S4. I am wanting a successor to the Spec B but they just don't make one. The STi is too much of a boy racer for me and sadly the new STi I have seen in spy photos looks like a Honda civic. So I am stuck.

Archived