LegacyGT.com

My Mechanic Recommends Replacing Front Struts...

I own a stock 06LGT with 77.4k miles. Upon my last oil change, my trusted mechanic told me my right front strut was starting to seep and needed to be replaced "in the near future." Now, 4k miles later, I am due for another oil change. I"m wondering whether to take them up on this advice to replace the front struts.

I have not noticed any appreciable difference in the ride or handling of the car since this problem was brought to my attention.

While I trust my shop and have been using them for years, does it seem plausible that a front strut would be going out at 77k miles? Anyone have thoughts on how long struts should last on a car that is driven mostly highway miles under stock conditions?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

so....I have 249k on my car. rears were replaced about 9k ago when one blew during an oil change:lol:

my fronts are getting replaced shortly. I experience rough rides in city driving so I know that it's time. taking it into a suspension shop to have him take a look. I've had my end links replace before..might need to be done again. also had my CA bushings replaced once. those will be do again.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I own a stock 06LGT with 77.4k miles. Upon my last oil change, my trusted mechanic told me my right front strut was starting to seep and needed to be replaced "in the near future." Now, 4k miles later, I am due for another oil change. I"m wondering whether to take them up on this advice to replace the front struts.

I have not noticed any appreciable difference in the ride or handling of the car since this problem was brought to my attention.

While I trust my shop and have been using them for years, does it seem plausible that a front strut would be going out at 77k miles? Anyone have thoughts on how long struts should last on a car that is driven mostly highway miles under stock conditions?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

It CAN be perfectly reasonble that by 77K you would need it to be replaced, depending on your driving conditions.

You have a lot of options. Best to do your research here before you just hand it off to your mechanic to replace it with god-knows-what. If looking for cheap and the same as OEM and pretty much no performance improvement, just get KYB GR2 and reuse your stock springs. About $82 a piece for front, $71 a piece for the rear from FredBeansParts. PM them for a price quote, maybe they can knock off a bit, maybe not. Worth a shot.

I highly recommend replacing the front upper strut mounts (top hats) as they have a bearing that goes bad with age/use.

I just finished doing a bit of research on these shocks/struts the KYB GR2 is being transitioned into the Excel G, same manufacturing and product just in Black, no knock on FB but the fronts & rears can be purchased for $230.72 w/shipping incl. from KYBoutlet.com Thx for the top mount info too iNVAR!

My LGT has 83k, from what I can tell the struts/shocks are fine but I was thinking after 83k they must have lost some ability to function as they did when new. The roads/highways in the areas I've lived are decent, no huge potholes, so I would say they have not been abused much. When driving on a well maintained road the car feels and rides great, when there are cracks (filled or not) or bumps there is noticeable difference, trying to figure out if it's the shocks/struts, worn bushings or a combo!

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

PM m sprank, he'll know.

But the GB is for Koni's and Epic springs. The Koni's are adjustable so you can run them soft if you like.

I have mine about half way between hard and soft on the front and one turn off hard on the rear. I think 1/2 way front and rear would work well. I think I read there are 4 turns in the adjustment.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived