LegacyGT.com

USA members eat your hearts out... new GT for OZ soon!

Robdownunder

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can see a lot of pple being disapointed abt Nick Senior's "exitement"... sorry if i'm bursting anyone's bubble...

I'm willing to bet that the Aust built car is going to have about retail 5grand of parts (from their exisiting Sti parts bin), replacing the std stuff and thats about it...

I've been a sube customer for far too long to get exited abt anything that Nick or Derek market.

Bye,

Mo

I'm willing to bet that the Aust built car is going to have about retail 5grand of parts (from their exisiting Sti parts bin), replacing the std stuff and thats about it...

Bye,

Mo

Now, that's a funny screwed-up edit!:lol: Looks like somebody had second thoughts about insulting this Nick guy!:lol:

It will be interesting to see if this amounts to a special edition dress-up of what would otherwise be a "GT Spec B"

Bilsteins, Brembos, other suspention tweeks, BBS 18x7 forged ten-spokes, special red-stitched black leather interior, and three colors, silver, regal blue, and WR blue. STi catalog spoilers and mufflers, etc.

That is what the JDM STI seems to be. Not that it is a bad thing at all. I'd seriously consider one if they were in this country, and were the avenue to get a WR Blue Legacy GT sedan.

I wonder if they have red stitching on the steering wheel, and the STi logo airbag that the WRX STi gets... It would make sense with the rest of the interior.

I wish some of these things were available in North America. Blitzen, WR Limited, GT Spec B (regular production option) Legacy 3.0R and Spec B 6MT. Solid Red paint, WR Blue, Violet Grey, Urban Grey, black/red interior, black/blue interior, black with red stitching, grey leather and burl wood trim. McIntosh stereo options, HID projectors, and the list can go on and on.

If the economy is going to be a global economy, and since we do live in the information age, where I can read information from Japan, Europe, Austrailia, and other points, in a matter of minutes... Then why have so many different variations dependent on which market the products are sold in. Most models should be available in most markets, IMHO. It might cost a tad bit more in some ways, but having so many different distribution channels and part-sets can't be cheap either. Gotta spend money to make money, anyway.

I can see legal safety and environmental legal reasons for differences by market, even if I think they are too strict, especially in the US, but that has nothing to do with what colors are available and where, and other less crucial differences.

With proper marketing and emphasis, the Legacy, once brought to people's attention, will do well to sell itself, especially with enhanced equipment.

IWSS, you make perfect sense I do have to admit. When you compile a list like you have, you can certainly see the advantages that we do now get here in Australia. The colours as of yet have been "Officially Unconfirmed" but I think yr list of colours wouldnt be far off the real deal list. Apparently the LibertySTi will also debut for the first time with Xenon Lights but brake package is unconfirmed also including the style of the rims. This will no doubt factor in the shape and design of not only the rims but the boots they wear.

Ada///M.

agctr - I hope i'm wrong and the Aust added GT Ltd Ed does get a few more goodies than just the spoilers, wheels, etc. Then i can buy those parts and fit em to my car :D

IwannaSportSedan - the JDM STi tuned GT does not get the red stiched /STI logo on the steering wheel.

As for the brakes, I seriously doubt that the Aust Ltd Ed would get the brembos - the brakes would cost well over A$5000 and I don't see Sube Australia adding that AND:

• 18" wheels (about A$2500 atleast) the 18" BBS as on the JDM STI would cost well over A$4000 for 4.

• Sti boot spoiler ( A$650aprx)

• Sti front lip (A$500aprx)

• Sti springs (A$250aprx) - which were designed to work on the JDM car with Beilstein shocks as std.

• STi exhaust - either the mufflers with twin tailpipes or the Genome ones (atleast A$1500 - I bought a pair of the twin tail pipe mufflers for a friend and cost close to A$1800!!!)

The prices I have quoted are not what Subaru sells these items for here but what I have paid or been quoted from much cheaper sources...

The way i see it, the springs + spoilers + exhaust + wheels + an ECU tune would be about as good a package that Sube would do for an extra A$5000 - as an add on.

They could replace some of things but I don't see what else they could replace other than trim, leather colours (the JDM WR LTD get blue and black leather), body colours (we don't get the WR blue here), etc.

Well, i guess we'll find out in another few days...

Bye,

Mo

If the economy is going to be a global economy, and since we do live in the information age, where I can read information from Japan, Europe, Austrailia, and other points, in a matter of minutes... Then why have so many different variations dependent on which market the products are sold in. Most models should be available in most markets, IMHO. It might cost a tad bit more in some ways, but having so many different distribution channels and part-sets can't be cheap either. Gotta spend money to make money, anyway.

I can see legal safety and environmental legal reasons for differences by market, even if I think they are too strict, especially in the US, but that has nothing to do with what colors are available and where, and other less crucial differences.

I understand your points very well - i asked something similar a while back when Australians were petitioning Sube Australia to import the BE5 Legacy /Liberty B4.

The different variations are due to climatic /road /fuel conditions (Sube Aust reason for our detuned motor and different suspension) and also IMO mainly due to costs.

Sube /FHI Japan, can afford to have all the variations in the domestic market as their distribution chanells are different to the ones in export markets. Like here in Aust, Sube Aust has to buy a certain no of cars in certain trim and colours - thats we we don't have a interior choice or any choice except for man /auto and colour.

And import taxes also play a part, in most countries (eg: Singapore) the various car importers import the cars in tha barest trim and add everything on after the car's have been bought according to customer's requirements - things like a/c, stereo, wheels, interior, etc. but this can be costly too.

End of the day decession makers have a make a cost vs demand decession and "tailor" a product for the specific market and them market the product as such.

Personaly, I'd given up the McIntosh stereo, sunroof and leather (which are all optional extras in Japan), for Bilsteins, alloy lower control arms(both are std on JDM cars) and a cheaper price tag but since majority of GT customers here prefered to have these options thats what Sube Aust imports...(we used to have 2 models - cloth interior, no sunroof and no McIntosh and these didn't sell - mind you these were all auto only).

Bye,

Mo

Here's some news, this is what the Aust built Gt will have:

• Tyres Pirelli P Zero Rosso 215/45 R18 93W

• Wheels 5 X STI Alloy Wheel 18 x 7.5 55mm

• Suspension front Bilstein Strut type with STI lowered springs

• Suspension rear Bilstein multi link type with STI lowered springs

• STI front Strut brace

• Black leather seats with Alcantara inserts and STI logo and red stitching

• Black interior roof lining

• Red luminescent instrument meters

• STI rear suspension lateral links with pilot ball joints

• STI tuned engine management ECU

• Twin pipe sports mufflers

• Aluminium pedal set

• STI short shift gear lever mechanism on manual transmission

• STI Front lip spoiler

• STI Rear boot spoiler (sedan models)

• Tuned by STI badging

Full article here: http://subaru.com.au/promotions/?promoid=246

I do have to say that the upgrades are worth the $5000 extra. Well done Nick and SA, first product in the last 10 or so years that has impressed me :)

Bye,

Mo

+1

Still only Black, Brilliant Silver, and Urban Grey. What is with Subie knocking down the color on these cars. Does Japan reserve the right for a solid red or WR Blue Legacy? they get both, and NOBODY else gets either one?

I am gonna order that Tuned by STi badge when I get a legacy... that'll show em! :lol:

Fantastic looking setup and seriously a very mean looking unit. Love everything about the STi, didnt come with the brake package or xenons that I wanted but think it will have everything else as suggested. Will be in Sydney over the coming days (not Friday like I hoped) to have a look. Going to take some pics and post if ppl dont beat me to it.

+1 Order already... done.

Ada///M.

Guest *Jedimaster*
KW? So, like, you guys are getting electric Libertys? I think I'll stay here where we get Liberty automatically and the toilets flush in the right direction :p

I wonder how the existing H6 would hold up with a turbo at 13psi of boost. I am sure that it would need some new tougher internals, no?

Also, might be a bit boring with the Auto, however the auto might be nice when dealing with 350 HP...

It would have to be a lower-compression version of the H6, and probably beefed-up internals as well, but Subaru has plenty of experience with turbo engines, and I'm sure it wouldn't pose a problem for them. Packaging might be a bigger problem than engineering.

I think that we'll soon see a H6 turbo - twin turbo is another story but a single turbo 6cyl is something that we can expect to see in the near future.

There's not much in need for new internals...as exisiting internals from other engines would fit. Only thing i see them needing are a stronger crank but i think the H6 crank would handle being force fed.

Only problem is space in the engine bay of current models to accomodate the turbo, intercooler, etc.

For those in Aust, whats the on road $$ for the GT with Sti bits ? What do you pay in LCT ?

Bye,

Mo

I don't think a turbo 3.0 or 3.7 liter H6 would be too hard for FHI. It would be harder to Fab up in the shop behind the house, due to not many people having rapid-prototyping and metalcasting and extensive fabricating facilities at hand.

BTW, if you consider the EJ257 engines bore and stroke of 99.5mm x 79mm, you get 2.4694 liters of displacement (if my math is correct, (bore*pi)*stroke= cubic millimeters of displacement x 1000 to convert to liters of volume.) for 4 cylinders. With two more cylinders of the same size...

2.4694 liters x 1.5 = ~3.7041 liters.

My ideas for a Turbo or Twin Turbo H6 are fairly straight-forward...

We know that the Transmission is the fixed point. It must stay in the same position in order to drive the front wheels. So we can use the bellhousing mounting surface as the static point to which the engine is mounted. Adding two cylinders then extends the engine forward. Not great for chassis dynamics, but necessary for drivetrain placement. Plus, we know it fits, because the 3.0R legacys and outbacks do this.

So. if the rear wall of the rearward cylinders of the H4 and H6 are in the same place, we know there is room there for an up-pipe and down pipe. Since the Legacy Turbo models are available elsewhere in the world are available in RHD, and the Turbo stays on the Right hand side of the engine (as looking at the car from the back to the front) we know the steering and other mechanicals can fit around the turbocharger, even if they have to be transposed to the left side in LHD countries, Twin turbochargers should be possible, one on each side.

Each header would mate to an up-pipe on it's own side. Perhaps a balance pipe between them, but perhaps none would be needed. Basically three cylinders would feed each turbo. OR, for a single turbo variant, meld the headers to a single larger up-pipe for a single turbo, much like the current H4 Turbos. I prefer the thought of two moderate turbos offering quick spooling, and a good amount of combined boost.

The turbos would probably need to be rotated in relation to each other, and thus a dedicated right or left turbo. (compressor outlets facing inboard, both impeller inlets facing aft/down to mate with the up-pipes and down-pipes.)

From there it could go one of two ways. FMIC, or TMIC. We'll get back to that in a second...

The intake manifolds... Instead of spanning one intake manifold across the wide horizontal block... I would go with two intake manifolds, one for each bank. A runner from front to back, mounted directly over the intake ports on the corresponding head. This would leave the center of the block open for a larger TMIC, Forced-cold-air airbox, or by canting the intake manifolds toward the engine centerline, perhaps some crossover plenum work to create a variable length intake setup.

The TMIC option would put a large core TMIC in the same general location as the LGT intercooler, with two inlets near the firewall, and one or two outlets toward the front. One or two throttle-bodies (common TB, or separate, one for each intake plenum) could be housed between the TMIC and the alternator, feeding the intake plenums on each side.

The FMIC would be slightly different. It might even be better to swap sides for the turbos, to face the compressor outlets outboard, for piping to go forward along both sides of the engine bay, to feed a common or twin FMICs behind the front bumper skin. Again, the outlet(s) of the FMIC(s) could connect with hard piping to one common, or two individual throttle bodies for the intake plenums. (TBs could even be mounted on the forward facing end of the intake plenums, right above each head. That would definitely leave some open space above the engine block. Perhaps that open space could house a hood-scoop fed-airbox and MAFs to feed the intake side of the turbochargers.

Those are just my ideas. I think they would work, but I have no way of implementing, testing, or optimizing them. It would be fun to do so.

Subaru has already shown a H6TT/5EAT in the B11S concept car, which I beleive was actually driven on at least one occaision. Subaru already has this engine. Whether it is emissions compliant, manufacture-ready, and up to their exacting reliability standards, we don't know. But the engineers have been working for some time on it...

Supposedly that car, I beleive it had a 3.0 liter TT, made in the very near neighborhood of 400hp and similar torque.

I don't know much about the 3.0R engine internals, whether it is open block or semi-closed like the EJ20 and EJ25. But I would think that it would be very similar cylinder dimensions to the EJ20. 6 Ej20 forged pistons and rods of about 8.5-9.0:1 compression, forged 3.0R/Ej20 hybrid crankshaft, and some 3.0R cam blanks carved to EJ20 specs, along with matching the EJ20's valve and combustion chamber characteristics (if not the same already) and I would think this would be very viable.

Up it to EJ25-derived specs with Ej257-derived heads, cams, and valves, forged internals, etc... and you'd have a very serious 3.7 liter Twin Turbo flat 6, significantly north of 400hp, that might give Porsche's 3.6 TT engine a little bit of pause.

As a little more icing on the cake, my ideal engine of this line would be along these lines, but essentially siamesing two EJ257 blocks, for an H8, with similar adaptations, and having each bank of 4 cylinders feeding a twin-scroll turbo. A Twin-TwinScroll, as it were. 5 Liters (4.9388) of pure DOHC turbocharged Flat-eight. It would probably 550-600hp, if done correctly. Direct Fuel Injection would allow it to have a bit higher static compression, and offer true displacement-on-demand. Shutting down various fuel injectors based on demand would turn those cylinders into air-compressors, with no detrimental effects of pushing unburned fuel into the exhaust...

That would be just about perfect for a mid-engine drivetrain, RWD with a Porsche transaxle. Subaru-powered supercar anybody? :D :D :D

Archived