LegacyGT.com

USA members eat your hearts out... new GT for OZ soon!

Robdownunder

Hmm I know what u mean Darren. I have to agree, what was the idea behind the blue and black. I was desperate to have leather but NOT THAT BAD. The rims were... yeah and would have been a real PITA to clean, not that the STi rims we are getting are much behind. I dislike cleaning the 5 spokes I have now, let alone the 12 that are coming.

I love driving my Dad's Audi allroad 2.7 TT setup. It certainly CRANKS. Its the biggest sleeper going around. Totally destroys 99% of cars on the road and track. Certainly one of the fastest cars I have driven..... But will the STi deliver ? Thats the question.....

Ada///M.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mate an XT wouldnt even touch it.....

Ada///M.

Hmmm, not sure what you're basing that on, but I just did a quick Google survey of 0-60 times, and the XT seems to come in at ~5.9 seconds, vs. ~6.4 seconds for the Allroad 2.7T (both with MT).

Also, the Allroad weighs 600-700 lbs. more, with nearly identical peak torque and hp numbers.

Seriously, get in one and drive it. ITS A PURE WEAPON. A REAL SLEEPER.

It totally owns my sisters WRX. The KICK is amazing and can seriously haul some a..

Ada///M.

Some cars feel faster than they are for some reason, but I'm not convinced the Allroad is faster, at least not below, say, 80 mph.

Trust me, an XT, WRX or GT wouldnt touch the allroad in REAL time runs.

On the track if it can destroy a LS2 6.0L V8 297kW HSV, Im sure the XT wouldnt do much better.

0 - 62 the XT, WRX and GT + the HSV might do ok, but after that, its GAME OVER, the AUDI lowers itself and says BYE.

Forget what the stats say, go drive one and u will know where I am coming from.

Ada///M.

Trust me, an XT, WRX or GT wouldnt touch the allroad in REAL time runs.

Forget what the stats say, go drive one and u will know where I am coming from.

Ada///M.

What exactly are "real time runs"? I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but I'd like to see data or an opinion from an objective testing source. If there are many sources on the internet that say the Outback XT does 0-60 in 5.9, and many more that say the Allroad does it in 6.3 (that's the fastest I could find), I think the preponderance of the evidence says that the XT is faster from 0-60. Now, the difference in power delivery, or some other variable, may make the Allroad feel faster on the "butt dyno", but I can't find anything to corroborate the Allroad actually being faster.

Maybe in the 1/4 mile, the Allroad will catch up or even surpass the XT (I didn't research 1/4-mile times, so I don't know), but it can't be by much. For ungoverned top speed, I don't know -- it would probably depend on aerodynamics more than anything.

However, by any criterion, I don't believe it's accurate to say the XT "wouldn't touch" the Allroad.

Edit (since I don't want to make another off-topic post): I don't have an XT, I have an LGT, and even if I did it wouldn't be very practical to take it to Australia to race you. For all I know, you're a better driver than me anyway, which might make the car you're driving faster.

I guess without any proof, it's Adam's empirical opinion against every published source I can find. We'll leave it at that.

Edit #2: Adam, perhaps these cars are of different specifications in the USA vs. Australia, in which case we might both be right. I was referring to U.S.-spec models. Also, you don't mention ever having driven an XT. In any case, I always like to consider the possibility that I might be wrong, something you may or may not find useful. I plead guilty to going off-topic, but I was merely responding to your post #83.

Thanks Sebberry for going to that level of detail.

I said before not to worry about that stats but now that U have posted them up, they look pretty good. As I said before, GET OUT AND DRIVE THE allroad, its a lot faster than those times predict. If Im beating cars just under the 400HP category, it has to be a lot faster than those times predict.

Anyways, moving back onto topic........ there are a few LibertySTi threads floating around at the moment with some great pics BUT still no real deal pics of the interior. Seen a lot from the motorshow in Sydney but again nothing really from inside...... always the way I suppose.

Ada///M.

No need to apologise or go to the 9th degree at all. Yes you are right, the allroad in Australia may have totally different specs compared to its cousin in the USofA, thats something that I dont think either of us took into consideration from the very start. Having said that, I have driven an XT and seriously it doesnt seem as fast as the allroad. Im sure u are a very good driver yrself and could give me a run for my money so to speak.........

No harm no foul. Thanks for posting up.

Great to see that ppl can have good debates without getting toooo fired up. Hey its a forum after all.

Thanks again for the info though, great stuff ...........

LOL, now back to topic.

Ada///M.

What exactly are "real time runs"? I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but I'd like to see data or an opinion from an objective testing source. If there are many sources on the internet that say the Outback XT does 0-60 in 5.9, and many more that say the Allroad does it in 6.3 (that's the fastest I could find), I think the preponderance of the evidence says that the XT is faster from 0-60. Now, the difference in power delivery, or some other variable, may make the Allroad feel faster on the "butt dyno", but I can't find anything to corroborate the Allroad actually being faster.

Maybe in the 1/4 mile, the Allroad will catch up or even surpass the XT (I didn't research 1/4-mile times, so I don't know), but it can't be by much. For ungoverned top speed, I don't know -- it would probably depend on aerodynamics more than anything.

However, by any criterion, I don't believe it's accurate to say the XT "wouldn't touch" the Allroad.

Edit (since I don't want to make another off-topic post): I don't have an XT, I have an LGT, and even if I did it wouldn't be very practical to take it to Australia to race you. For all I know, you're a better driver than me anyway, which might make the car you're driving faster.

I guess without any proof, it's Adam's empirical opinion against every published source I can find. We'll leave it at that.

Edit #2: Adam, perhaps these cars are of different specifications in the USA vs. Australia, in which case we might both be right. I was referring to U.S.-spec models. Also, you don't mention ever having driven an XT. In any case, I always like to consider the possibility that I might be wrong, something you may or may not find useful. I plead guilty to going off-topic, but I was merely responding to your post #83.

I think the reason there are no interior pics is because the cars haven't actually been built yet? The one at the motorshow was a standard GT with the visible add-ons (wheels, 'zorst, strut brace, etc) so the interior wasn't right (I think they put the STi dash in).

The mules at Docklands are also modified local spec cars. I'm 99% sure that the interior with the Alcantara seats is what you see on the Japanese STi website - the interior package we'll be getting is definitely same spec as the current Liberrty STi.

Anyways, moving back onto topic........ there are a few LibertySTi threads floating around at the moment with some great pics BUT still no real deal pics of the interior. Seen a lot from the motorshow in Sydney but again nothing really from inside...... always the way I suppose.

Ada///M.

Here you go buddy:

Seats - red stiching (not sure if Aust will get the embosed STI logo)

http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/LEGACY/catalog/interior/02/imgs/top.jpg

http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/LEGACY/catalog/interior/01/imgs/top_01.jpg

All red instrument cluster

http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/LEGACY/catalog/interior/imgs/top.jpg

Yeah seen those pics 400000000 times. Was hoping with all the pics around of the STi at the MotorShow in Sydney... surely someone took pics of the inside. Thats what I meant by real pics.

Thanks for PICing up anyways Mo. And yes we will be getting the stiching including the STi logo.

Ada///M.

Hi all, Has anyone had any experience with Alcantara seating before? What actually is it, it appears to be suede like from the photos? If that is the case I'd be interested to hear about how it stands up in terms of does it wear well, does it stain easily, etc. Will it last well or would we have been better off with all leather? Cheers, Rick

G'Day Rick,

Yes u are about right with the suede comments as its quite similar. Alcantara is pretty hard wearing, its the same material that is found on the M3 seats including the M3 CSL. It is pretty hard wearing, maybe not as sturdy as overall leather but it will give good wear. Stains and stuff Im unsure of, hence the reason I will be going with Subaru Protection.

A member from the M3Forum has a CSL, I will try and post up one of his interior pics. The Alcantara is also on the steering wheel. Members have complained that after 6 months the Alcantara starts to look very shabby BUT I think the steering wheel would have more abuse than the seat IMHO.

Stay Tuned.

What have u personally ordered or thinking about ?

Ada///M.

Here is the seat pic from the M3.

Ada///M.

PS Just remember, this CSL has done a fair bit of track work etc as well and because the material moves like suede, it will look a bit like that from time to time. If u were to brush the material back the other way with yr hand, it would look fine. Its just the angle and the movement of the material that makes it looks so used so to speak.

1839720513_BMWM3CSLSeatPic.JPG.4d63fd384f6835381733fc3b4d8f1236.JPG

Looking at pictures of the new MY06 WRXSTi S203, this material (Alcantara)is going to become one of the most sort after pieces as it may only be used for the upmodel STi Vehicles. The seats in the S203 will be built in conjunction with Recaro and they look AMAZING. Similar idea to the CSL and GT3 seats, very slimline back etc. The S203 will be a limited STi Japan run of 555 Vehicles.

I wonder why they picked this number Sube555 aka Seth ??????

Ada///M.

The S203 will be a limited STi Japan run of 555 Vehicles.

I wonder why they picked this number Sube555 aka Seth ??????

Ada///M.

I wonder if that production number was a part of their sponsorship contract with BAT, or if Subaru just did it on their own. Surely, they wouldn't give the cig company that advertising for free...

Thanks for the info and pics Adam, I feel a little better about it's wear characteristics now. Apparently it's also used in the new EVO so must be ok if so many major manufacturers are using it.

I have ordered a Silver sedan with auto trans. Just couldn't live with the manual on a daily basis and find the sport auto a suitable enough compromise.

Funnily enough I went through exactly the same thought process as yourself...........can't afford an M3 at the prices we pay in Oz so this was the next best thing. :)

I wonder if that production number was a part of their sponsorship contract with BAT, or if Subaru just did it on their own. Surely, they wouldn't give the cig company that advertising for free...

Surely this would have something to do with sponsorship, cant see why they would limit the run to that number otherwise.

Thanks for the info and pics Adam, I feel a little better about it's wear characteristics now. Apparently it's also used in the new EVO so must be ok if so many major manufacturers are using it.

I have ordered a Silver sedan with auto trans. Just couldn't live with the manual on a daily basis and find the sport auto a suitable enough compromise.

Funnily enough I went through exactly the same thought process as yourself...........can't afford an M3 at the prices we pay in Oz so this was the next best thing. :)

Just curious where about you live etc, can you provide a bit more info. Also post up in "Where are all the Aussies" and introduce yrself in there too.

Yes the ///M3 was certainly on the list but was unable to find the exact specs that I wanted. Ti or SG on Imola MY03.5 > SMGII with roughly 30K on the clock would have been nice but they are very very rare. I was seriously looking at jumping ship prior to the launch of the STi and now Im very happy. I also mod at M3Forum.com so there isn't much I dont know about BMW or the ///M (growing every day) Fleet.

Ada///M.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all, Has anyone had any experience with Alcantara seating before? What actually is it, it appears to be suede like from the photos? If that is the case I'd be interested to hear about how it stands up in terms of does it wear well, does it stain easily, etc. Will it last well or would we have been better off with all leather? Cheers, Rick

Sorry for picking up on this a bit late, but you'll find info on Alcantara at http://www.alcantara.com If you go to the European site you can download the maintenance instructions as a pdf

I was also a bit dubious at first. "Fake suede" was never my cup of tea. But this synthetic textile was developed in Japan and is manufactured in Italy, so is state of the art. Also used by most of the prestige carmakers, so this is a pretty good recommendation. As a bonus it also grips better than leather so you wont slide around so much when testing the physical limits of symmetrical AWD! LOL. Also warmer than leather on cold winter mornings! (my kids always complain about the leather!)

Archived