LegacyGT.com

Who races there LGTs and how are they holding up?

I've been to one track day this year and loved it. I want to get into more for next summer but need some advice on what I can do to keep my car reliable.

I have Stoptech pads and rotors, ATE Super blue fluid and technafit steel braided lines.

for suspension I have JDM SpecB RevA Bilsteins

Engine is stock besides COBB AP Stage1, COBB SF Intake and STi genome axlebacks.

I've been to one track day this year and loved it. I want to get into more for next summer but need some advice on what I can do to keep my car reliable.

I have Stoptech pads and rotors, ATE Super blue fluid and technafit steel braided lines.

for suspension I have JDM SpecB RevA Bilsteins

Engine is stock besides COBB AP Stage1, COBB SF Intake and STi genome axlebacks.

You might start here - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/amateur-motorsports-and-you-can-get-involved-you-legacy-199487.html

Other than checking your oil levels before every session, you've covered all the weak links. As your speeds pick up (cornering loads), you'll see increased wheel bearing wear. Tire tuning will become important, too. Also, your suspension parts will have increased wear, be sure to keep things lubed up well.

What are you running for tires?

At this point, I'd look into driver training, as this will have the biggest impact on the longevity of your car.

Upgraded cooling system. Oem radiator will break

radiator is weak? That would be a first. After 20k hard track miles on top of 101k road miles, I'm still on my original radiator.

I have done a full season of autox not the same as a road course but my only issue has been a wheel bearing but it had over 100k miles on it. Just keep a eye in all your fluids and use quality oils. I've heard also to overfill your motor oil.

Don't be cheap on maintence.

I have done a full season of autox not the same as a road course but my only issue has been a wheel bearing but it had over 100k miles on it. Just keep a eye in all your fluids and use quality oils. I've heard also to overfill your motor oil.

Don't be cheap on maintence.

overfill your oil is less than a half quart over. I pre-filled to make up for blow-by for a long session.

Adding a deeper/bigger oil pan will help more - look at the KillerB pan/windage tray/pickup.

If you are running fast on the track, you'll start heating up your wheelbearings and burn them out. Be sure to buy the OEM brand to get the 12 month/12000 mile warranty. I'm on set #5 in 2 years, paying each time (kept changing shops and lost the warranty everytime).

I've done one track day and a advanced driving course on all season Bridgestones and the car held up fine. No cel, overheating issues.

But lately I have been getting misfires under wot.

All season tires will not hold up on track. If you think so, buy mine - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-seattle-michelin-pilot-sport-avs-plus-set-4-250-200104.html?t=200104

I used 108 octane unleaded race gas in my wagon. No ethanol. Never had problems. Using Costco or other cheap gas caused misfires. 76/Shell 93 octane worked pretty good, especially when mixed with race gas (net 96). Use this chart to work out a good mix - http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/Octanemix.html

All season tires will not hold up on track. If you think so, buy mine - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-seattle-michelin-pilot-sport-avs-plus-set-4-250-200104.html?t=200104

I used 108 octane unleaded race gas in my wagon. No ethanol. Never had problems. Using Costco or other cheap gas caused misfires. 76/Shell 93 octane worked pretty good, especially when mixed with race gas (net 96). Use this chart to work out a good mix - http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/Octanemix.html

Oh yeah the all seasons are rubbish. I meant the car itself did pretty well. Although I only run about 2-3 hot laps before taking a break.

Thanks for info.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Oh yeah the all seasons are rubbish. I meant the car itself did pretty well. Although I only run about 2-3 hot laps before taking a break.

Thanks for info.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

2-3 hot laps isn't going to do much damage as long as you run high enough pressure (40+ psi cold in the front).

This pic is Michelin all-season tires under hard cornering:

http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=5622&d=1328695311

I also ran 20+ track days with oem radiator and ran fine. That was starting when my 08 spec.b was brand new through 90k miles. With my 05 wagon and 125k miles on the block, I have upgraded to a mishimoto to protect the engine, as well as a tranny cooler.

Keep your fluids fresh, change to synthetic tranny + diff oil if you're not yet already. don't skimp on cheap fuel. I also add either octane boost or 1-2 gallons of higher octane fuel to the mix to decrease chance of knock.

I would take the cobb box off, it doesn't add power and might mess with your tune if you're just using an OTS map.

CHeck your tire pressures through the day, adjust for wear & feel.

I also ran 20+ track days with oem radiator and ran fine. That was starting when my 08 spec.b was brand new through 90k miles. With my 05 wagon and 125k miles on the block, I have upgraded to a mishimoto to protect the engine, as well as a tranny cooler.

Keep your fluids fresh, change to synthetic tranny + diff oil if you're not yet already. don't skimp on cheap fuel. I also add either octane boost or 1-2 gallons of higher octane fuel to the mix to decrease chance of knock.

I would take the cobb box off, it doesn't add power and might mess with your tune if you're just using an OTS map.

CHeck your tire pressures through the day, adjust for wear & feel.

Thanks for the input, I have Subaru Extra-S in the transmission just not in the rear diff, I should do that soon.

COBB has a Map for their SF Intake now so its safe.

Archived