LegacyGT.com

Snow tires versus all seasons

Yeah I have a TJ with the 4cyl. I like it but its pretty far gone and needs many dollars invested to be nice. Its gotten me through a lot of hardship. It has replaced 5 blown up trucks! Truck would split in half... oops there's the jeep.

I've got the 5mt. I am a skilled driver but... That torque split gets you in trouble she likes to climb sideways.

For what its worth...

I ski every weekend in the winter in new england. I bought a set of snow tires on rims when I bought the car, but on even used old all seasons the car goes so darn good I never need to put the snow tires on. In three ski seasons.

I replaced my michelin pilot exhalto all seasons with some new TOYO three season tires I got off craigslist. Even the three season tires got me around fine in the snow. Last year I even took them up a "SNOW TIRES OR CHAINS REQUIRED" road in northern vermont to get to sugarbush in a 6" snow storm.

That was SUPER DUMB. But I white knuckled it up the hill, then down the hill. It was sketchy and dumb and I won't do it again. I put other people at risk, but its a testiment to how good these cars are in the snow.

Without snow tires the car goes just fine. Problem is it doesn't stop that great and downhill is real sketchy on three season tires.

This year my snows are going on, but if I did have all seasons I wouldn't put them on.

With snow tires subaru's are TANKS in the snow. I can tow a boat through my yard in the snow with snow tires. Its insane.

http://i44.tinypic.com/nvo1li.jpg

these nokian truck weight HAKKAPELIITTA R4s are tits in the snow here in colorado.

i see it weekly for about 7 months a year - last year i was running pirelli all seasons and might or might not have drifted into some banks because of loss of traction.

its not going to happen this year.

Everyone saying that the car is "fine" without winter tires is correct. However, until you actually experience the difference that winter tires effect, you won't understand how much more safety they afford you.

I never got stuck with all-seasons, even in deep snow. I also had a lot of fun drifting all over the place. The winter tires are so grippy in the snow that it was almost disappointing how hard it was to drift around turns because they simply didn't want to let go. It's the added security in turns / evasive maneuvers / braking that makes winter tires WELL worth the investment if you do a lot of snow driving.

As I continue to argue with myself about whether I want to just continue running A/S in winter or to pony up for snows this year.....I have a feeling it's going to be a bad winter for some reason.

Anyhow, I've always wondered something, at what point does a used snow tire get passed up in performance by a brand new A/S. The ole intersect line on the graph so to speak.

As I continue to argue with myself about whether I want to just continue running A/S in winter or to pony up for snows this year.....I have a feeling it's going to be a bad winter for some reason.

Anyhow, I've always wondered something, at what point does a used snow tire get passed up in performance by a brand new A/S. The ole intersect line on the graph so to speak.

I guess my logic is this.... there is no better winter performance modification than traction. Its a cheap mod that puts you ahead of the pack.

I don't know the answer to the second part.

AWD and All-Seasons and I'm not worried. Now RWD or FWD, I've had a separate set of winters

AWD with all-seasons will definitely do as well as FWD or RWD with snows...

...until you have to use the brakes, or negotiate a turn. I maintain my position that if you live in an area with significant (common) snow on the roads during the winter, you really should get a set of dedicated winter tires. There is a reason you see so many cars far North running steelies in the winter months.

As far as used winters vs. new all-seasons, there are several things to note.

1. Tread depth. Winter tires have deep tread, and lots of sipes to help grip the snow/ice surface. If this is significantly worn down, you will obviously lose a lot of grip.

2. Tread compound. The WS-70s that I have on my car, for example, only use the special winter rubber compound for the outer 2/3 of the tread block. So once your tread is 2/3 worn down, you will be running on normal rubber, and lose most of the benefit of the winter tire, at which point a new or even used all-season would likely be better.

Archived