LegacyGT.com

Turbo Replaced, Oil pump replaced, Fingers Crossed

Last week I posted about a turbo replacement for my gt. Ended up having my shop do it. Put in a VF46 filled the car with oil, no pressure. My shop had to replace the oil pump. It was stuck closed by some sort of debris. Complete starvation of oil snapped the compressor shaft in half. The pump failure also collapsed the oil filter on itself. New pump and turbo and the car runs smoother then it ever has now.

My concern is that soon in the near future the engine will blow and I will have to have it rebuilt. How soon can I expect this? Really don't want to rebuild it. Might just sell it.

What are my options, what do you guys think?

Thanks,

Marc

Keep an eye on the oil and that will be your guide. Change after 500 miles or so. If not pull the plug and drain about a quart and top off. Check the oil you drain for ANY sign of metal particles.
If you woke up today, you have another chance to do it right.

If you remove all potential blockages and your oil is clean you could be fine.

Oil cooler & oil pump, banjo bolts, ocv's should be replaced if you find debris anywhere. I would drop the oil pan and look for metal there too if my turbo went on me.

Not sure if they checked the OCV's, aren't they easy to check? I will attempt if not to impossible. I know the checked the banjo bolts the oil cooler and oil pump(replaced pump). Also are there any good aftermarket coolers for our cars? Should i get an oil pressure gauge just to keep an eye on it?

No aftermarket coolers.

A oil pressure gauge is a always a good thing, but most of us never get one.

Did they remove the banjo filters, there are two of them. The front one, you need to grind/cut the top off it and then put the 17mm wrench on it and it will come out without having to remove the timing belt cover and stuff.

I didn't have your issue but both my filters are removed.

The OCV's are fairly easy to remove.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

Not sure you have those yet.

Good Luck

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived