LegacyGT.com

gas door won't open

• 5 months later...

Lift up the cover of the latch and pop it off. Usually a lot of dirt gets in there so you can snap the whole thing off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprised no one mentioned the less invasive method. When my gas door failed to open on my sedan, I popped the trunk and pulled back on the liner. Then followed the gas door cable through the inside panel. Once you reach the end of the cable push it and turn (clockwise I believe) then pull it out. Takes around 1-2 mins and zero chance of body damage.

I'm not sure if the process is the same on a wagon but it's nice to know that you don't need a butter knife to fill up a sedan. :)

With a wagon it's not that easy to get the panels off.

Mine was just the bent hinge on the gas door from the buffing the body shop did.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 7 months later...

My wife just had this problem on ours at the gas station when almost completely out of fuel--pulled on the door release and nothing. Here's how I fixed it.

First, get the door open. The plastic cover surrounding the release lever has two parts. The smaller part is closer to the driver seat. I popped that off and got some access to the cable. I pulled the release lever all the way up with my left hand, and then pulled up on the cable with my right index finger. This is the easiest way to pop the door open if you're in an emergency when you're at the gas pump.

Then I silicone-greased the rubbery/plastic release near the fuel cap. Still no dice, so I made very slight adjustments to the metal catch on the door (it's an easily bendable metal tab with a hole in it) by bending it in either direction. This involved a little bit of trial and error--bend it too much in one direction and it won't close, too much in the other direction and it won't open again. I did this until it was just right. I tested it several times, and so far so good.

I would suggest keeping the adjustments small not only for being able to work properly, but so the door aligns with the body/fender, too.

Archived