LegacyGT.com

Misfire codes on 2 & 3?

Once in a while when idling my LGT will pulse and the RPM will fluctuate almost like a boost leak... then stop. Only happens for a matter of seconds and then smooths out. Then shortly after i get a CEL. Ive checked it with the CAP and at first it read misfire on cylinder 2. I thought it might have been because i had recently installed a Forge BPV and wasn't running the correct spring. I changed it from the green to yellow spring, problem still occured. Checked for boost leaks... nothing. Next i changed the plugs, one of them was pretty bad. I used NGK Iridium, one step colder. Car ran beautifully for another week, then i threw another CEL. It read misfires on cylinders 2 & 3. The car still runs well and has plenty of power, but the misfire codes are still pretty unsettling. After a little more research, i was told that these motors have a problem with the rings... fantastic news. I sincerely hope that this isn't the case. Planning an engine pull and major tune up in the next week. Timing kit, headgasket kit, etc. I'm probably going to do some Wiseco 99.5 drop ins and new rod bearings just to be on the safe side.

Anyone run these codes or had a similar experience?

You want to make sure the car is running good before you rebuild it only to have the same miss fire caused by a coil or injector.

Don't buy pistons until the machine shop tells you what size to buy.

here's my thread from last year for info for you.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The block needs to be honed... Most of the time the drop in pistons don't exactly just drop in. Even on brand new short blocks. Plus if you go through the trouble of taking apart the short block why wouldn't you! Also have your heads resurfaced while they are off and use all new gaskets.

Master gasket set...dose it have the half moons ?

Didn't think so.

Oh, what about the crush washers for the banjo bolts?

Didn't think so either.

Bought the OEM gasket set too, it wasn't complete.

Are your valves in good shape ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Before you pull it, check the plugs that go into the coil packs. Twist the pins in the coil packs slightly to make sure that you are getting good contact from the plug. These things have an issue with the contact on the plug/pack connection and sometimes that's all it takes to solve the problem. It did with my cylinder 3 misfire.

My valves are fine, and i'm a dealer... i can just order sh!t from Subaru at cost. I'll worry about whats missing when i put it back together. Right now i'm just getting different ideas on what i could be facing for issues. You've never steered me wrong, Max. So i'll def make sure to double check the kit for missing parts.

My valves are fine, and i'm a dealer... i can just order sh!t from Subaru at cost. I'll worry about whats missing when i put it back together. Right now i'm just getting different ideas on what i could be facing for issues. You've never steered me wrong, Max. So i'll def make sure to double check the kit for missing parts.

So get one of your mechs to run some testing...

Archived