LegacyGT.com

Reliability questions; LGT vs FXT

blk

My wife's Civic is getting closer to retirement so we're beginning to brainstorm a next car for her. I drive an 06 Saab 9-2x Aero (Saabaru; same car as the WRX for the unfamiliar) and have been pretty happy with it. We're considering trying to hunt down a lower miles 5MT LGT wagon for her, or possibly a 5MT FXT. She may also be happy with a 5EAT in the LGT, but if the FXT has the 4EAT I think it does I'd like to avoid it. We're aiming for wagons/hatches because we'd like ample room for a dog.

I've been trying to cull info on known 4th gen LGT issues from this forum and other Subaru forums; it sounds like there are many, including piston ring land failures, turbo failures of all stripes, short lifespan of wheel bearings, etc. I'm having a hard time understanding how common all of these are. How many of you have encountered these or other significant issues? Several Subaru fans have advised me that the FXT is a more reliable car - would you believe that to be true?

A search on the turbo oil filter should tell you what model year Subaru removed those on the LGT's. That was the main thing I worried about when I was looking for my used Outback XT.

Yes, before MY 2009, the automatic Subaru Forester XT (Sports and Limited trims) had either a 4EAT or a 5MT. Limited = 4EAT and Sports = MT. I'd have to disagree on the "FXT is more reliable." ;D In my opinion they're about the same (between the FXT, LGT, and Outback XT).

Can you tell us why you're considering the FXT and LGT wagon but not the Outback XT?

Lower mileage 5mt wagon...good luck with that.

You may get lucky and find a OBXT with a 5mt.

My ski buddy just traded his black one in on a 2014 Outback.

As far as reliability, those things need lots of TLC. If you can do the requried up keep they are a fun car and great bang for the buck.

These are not Honda's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

A search on the turbo oil filter should tell you what model year Subaru removed those on the LGT's. That was the main thing I worried about when I was looking for my used Outback XT.

Yes, before MY 2009, the automatic Subaru Forester XT (Sports and Limited trims) had either a 4EAT or a 5MT. Limited = 4EAT and Sports = MT. I'd have to disagree on the "FXT is more reliable." ;D In my opinion they're about the same (between the FXT, LGT, and Outback XT).

Can you tell us why you're considering the FXT and LGT wagon but not the Outback XT?

Thanks - her parents drive a regular Outback of the same generation and she says she doesn't like the ride and height. I know that's something we could change if we really wanted, but I haven't done research on cost yet.

Lower mileage 5mt wagon...good luck with that.

You may get lucky and find a OBXT with a 5mt.

My ski buddy just traded his black one in on a 2014 Outback.

As far as reliability, those things need lots of TLC. If you can do the requried up keep they are a fun car and great bang for the buck.

These are not Honda's.

Yeah, I meant lower in a relative sense (sub 100k). Is there a preventative maintenance guide somewhere with a list of all the problems (and problem symptoms) to keep an eye out for?

Rear wheels bearing yes but many were replaced under warranty.

Turbo issues with 100k mile+ 05/06's especially because of oil starvation. preventive maintenance would be to replace the turbo, return oil line, & remove banjo filter. A failed turbo can ruin the motor. Stay away from vehicles with a just replaced new turbo.

Ringland issues are due to detonation from almost always poor tuned modified engines.

If you're after a turbo charged subaru: Reliability cannot be your primary focus. I have purchased some cars for economy, and I have purchased some vehicles for fun. My LGT wagon was purchased for the latter. Now, between the two there are no MAJOR differences. I would just go with whatever you like more.

As far as a 5EAT vs. 5MT wagon: I've driven both, and if you're planning on staying stock I prefer the 5EAT. The 5MT is fun and all, but anything longer than 15 minutes of stop and go, and you start to get the achy leg.

Archived