LegacyGT.com

Good information

Here is a link that everyone that owns a Subaru should go to. There is a lot of information that maybe we didn't know about warranties that are put forth by Subaru. When you look at the second page, you'll notice that this was updated in March of 2013 so this is the most current information available.

I hope this could possibly help out anyone that's having issues that COULD be covered under a warranty so examine this closely and keep the link for yourself as it will most likely come in handy. Especially take a look at the Federal Emissions Extended Defect Warranty-believe it or not, your ECM is covered under this warranty as it's part of the emissions controls so if your car is 2006 or newer with less than 80K on it and you've been having issues with ECM (read "EXPENSIVE") repairs, then get on the phone to SOA and chew their ass.

http://sltg.subarunet.com/static/pdf/Quick_Reference_Material.pdf

This link shows every single recall that has been issued by SOA and if your car is on the list and you haven't received the recall, then again, get on the phone can chew their ass. Some of these recalls are for expensive failures so if you fall under the recall, do what you need to do and have them foot the bill.

http://www.cars101.com/recalls.html

I hope these help everyone out. My brother's 2009 OB just had an ECM failure with 67K on it and he was looking at about $1600 to fix it and his tech (who used to work as a Subaru regional rep and also tech) told him that it has an extended warranty to 80K. He's taking the car to Subaru today and going to have it repaired under warranty even though he's past the 60K, so it won't cost him anything.

He found these links and forwarded them to me to share with everyone. If someone has already posted these in the past, please forgive me for re-posting them but you can never have too much of this kind of information, especially if you drive a Subaru.

:hide::bbq::icon_razz

Something to keep in mind about the ECM...the ECM is covered by the emissions warranty only if the the ECM failure is tied to the emissions system codes. If you are having a problem with the say the coil drivers or the voltage regulator for example, the repair is not covered. Have a cat or evap code that is being caused by the ECM? Then you are good to go.

Any dealer can run your VIN and see what, if any, outstanding recalls still need to be done to the car.

I will also add that ALL Subaru seat belts are covered for lifetime against defect. This doesn't mean that if your dog chews them up they will cover them, but fraying, or loose stitching is covered.

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

I will also add that ALL Subaru seat belts are covered for lifetime against defect. This doesn't mean that if your dog chews them up they will cover them, but fraying, or loose stitching is covered.

This I did NOT know. I have a 97 OB that has a frayed DS seatbelt. I can get this replaced for free under warranty?

Go ahead and try that and let us know how it works out for you...

It should be covered.

Oh, I see it now, I'm sure your car is past it's "useful life" ... read the fine print :)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Go ahead and try that and let us know how it works out for you...

It should be covered.

Oh, I see it now, I'm sure your car is past it's "useful life" ... read the fine print :)

Yeah.....my thinking exactly.

"Ohhh...Your car has how many miles on it? Almost 250K? Well then, of course it should have been in the junkyard by now and we don't cover that."

Kind of what I expect when I make the phone call.

Here is another link with some more good information regarding the US EPA Emissions Warranties for cars and trucks beginning in model year 1995. They talk about A. Performance Warranty and B. Design and Defect Warranty. The second one is the key to the 80K/8Year warranty.

This document is directly from the EPA regarding the things they consider as part of the emissions control systems and it spells out everything in pretty good detail and at the end on the last page, it even gives a contact name, phone number, and email address as well as their office address. Good to keep handy.

Good reading as the last several pages are questions and answers and some of the answers are things that most of us did not realize and based on these pages, it seems as though the EPA has actually done something to protect the consumer.

Take a look and you'll be glad you did.

http://www.epa.gov/obd/pubs/420f09048.pdf

Yeah.....my thinking exactly.

"Ohhh...Your car has how many miles on it? Almost 250K? Well then, of course it should have been in the junkyard by now and we don't cover that."

Kind of what I expect when I make the phone call.

If the part is available, it will be replaced. I haven't had a car come in yet that the belts weren't still available. Subaru takes safety devices pretty seriously.

I have a 97 OB that has a frayed DS seatbelt. I can get this replaced for free under warranty?

While I don't have your VIN to be 100% sure, what I have looked up for your Outback is part # 64619AC230MU There are 181 of them available in the US right now. Swing by your dealer and have them order it up for you.

If the part is available, it will be replaced. I haven't had a car come in yet that the belts weren't still available. Subaru takes safety devices pretty seriously.

While I don't have your VIN to be 100% sure, what I have looked up for your Outback is part # 64619AC230MU There are 181 of them available in the US right now. Swing by your dealer and have them order it up for you.

If they are not willing to order the belts under a warranty, is this something you can possibly do? I do really appreciate the information and if I could get a new belt out of it, I would really feel much better as I'm giving my son the car for his first car and safety is going to be tantamount.

If they are not willing to order the belts under a warranty, is this something you can possibly do? I do really appreciate the information and if I could get a new belt out of it, I would really feel much better as I'm giving my son the car for his first car and safety is going to be tantamount.

Unfortunately, I cannot. To do a part order under warranty, the service department must verify the part being ordered is under warranty conditions and applicable to the vehicle. At our dealer, a RO is opened for the complaint and the part is ordered from it. Once the part is in, you bring the car in to have the warranty part put on. Yes, labor is covered as well.

There is no reason you should have any problems with your dealer getting it ordered for you.

Unfortunately, I cannot. To do a part order under warranty, the service department must verify the part being ordered is under warranty conditions and applicable to the vehicle. At our dealer, a RO is opened for the complaint and the part is ordered from it. Once the part is in, you bring the car in to have the warranty part put on. Yes, labor is covered as well.

There is no reason you should have any problems with your dealer getting it ordered for you.

Thanks much for this information. I'll give it a try and see what happens. I'll post in this thread the results.

Archived