LegacyGT.com

Pricing a 2005?

specinvstr

Hey all,

I received a quote for a 2005 GT Ltd 5 speed for $25,222. This price includes the rebates and the MSRP is $29,175. Because this is a '05, I feel like I should be able to do better. Any thoughts on a figure I should aim for? I'm thinking $22-23K.

Thanks.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey-

I just took delivery of a 2005 2.5GT 5MT wagon this weekend. I thought I'd post here to thank the many people that provided info that allowed me to get a great price. Mine has autodimming mirror, security upgrade and cargo tray. Out the door it was $23,500 + TTL (including all rebates, incentives, etc.). The dealer was really motivated to deal and get rid of a 2005. To my knowledge he also has the only remaining like car in the Pacific Northwest. I hope that this helps.

It depends on where you are at I guess. Supply and demand will have a lot to do with what you will pick up an '05 for at this point. If the dealership is rich with '05s that are exactly what you want then you should be able to haggle. If you are looking at the only car in 1500 miles with the options you want then you will have to pay what they want. 22,000 is kind of a lowball offer for an LGT limited. That is $5K or more below sticker at dealerships around here. I don't see any reason why dealerships would want to clear out a car for $22 that they know they can sell for $25K or more.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I picked up a red 05' GT Limited last week for my wife and we got out of there for about $1800 under invoice. The $1800 included the $1500 rebate of course. So before the trade on her car, the price was $25500. I think that's pretty dang good and didn't bother trying to talk them down any further. It obviously does depend on your location but I think you'd be hard pressed to get them down much further than that.

I picked up a red 05' GT Limited last week for my wife and we got out of there for about $1800 under invoice. The $1800 included the $1500 rebate of course. So before the trade on her car, the price was $25500. I think that's pretty dang good and didn't bother trying to talk them down any further. It obviously does depend on your location but I think you'd be hard pressed to get them down much further than that.

Agreed. I am in the good position of not really needing to get the car. So, I'll see if I can push my luck. I think it is a very good deal as it stands though...

Best of luck to you. You wont be sorry. I love this little car. I'm almost bitter that my wife gets to drive it every day. :) She had a 98 Mustang GT that we traded in on the Subi and there is no comparison. Obviously it's apples to oranges, but still. The Subi handles just as well, and is quicker, plus it has the all wheel drive and better interior appointments. I still can't believe how much car we got for the money. The big problem around here was finding one in red. We basically got the only red one with taupe interior and a 5-spd tranny left in Texas. Seriously, I even had another dealer verify. Since they're not going to be putting them out in red next year, we had to buy this car. Anyway, we couldn't be happier.

Best of luck to you.

Best of luck to you. You wont be sorry. I love this little car. I'm almost bitter that my wife gets to drive it every day. :) She had a 98 Mustang GT that we traded in on the Subi and there is no comparison. Obviously it's apples to oranges, but still. The Subi handles just as well, and is quicker, plus it has the all wheel drive and better interior appointments. I still can't believe how much car we got for the money. The big problem around here was finding one in red. We basically got the only red one with taupe interior and a 5-spd tranny left in Texas. Seriously, I even had another dealer verify. Since they're not going to be putting them out in red next year, we had to buy this car. Anyway, we couldn't be happier.

Best of luck to you.

Funny, I am looking at the subie to keep miles off my f-body. I was actually considering the new Mustang. STI insurance makes it cost prohibitive. The Legacy looks like a great fit. I am scared to look at the car, I might pick it up! We'll see if they still have it next week as I am too busy to check it out any sooner...

Yeah, my wife's GT was 7 years old and even though it didn't have that many miles and mechanically it was cherry, there were little things starting to die. Window motors were getting twitchy, cassette deck was on the fritz, cd player only worked half the time, etc. It was a good car though. I'm not bagging on the Mustang at all, it was just past it's prime. :) Luckily, our insurance actually went down with the Subi. Beware... if you test drive it, you're going to want to buy it.

Hmm, I just looked in the book and base INVOICE on a 5BG 2.5 GT Limited (5 spd Wagon) was $27,038 in FL 04/04 and MSRP was $30,270.

For a non Limited GT base INVOICE was $25,673 and MSRP $27,570.

Keep in mind they had two price increases since then and so $25,222 is a good price.

Hmm, I just looked in the book and base INVOICE on a 5BG 2.5 GT Limited (5 spd Wagon) was $27,038 in FL 04/04 and MSRP was $30,270.

For a non Limited GT base INVOICE was $25,673 and MSRP $27,570.

Keep in mind they had two price increases since then and so $25,222 is a good price.

Thanks again.

Hey all,

I received a quote for a 2005 GT Ltd 5 speed for $25,222. This price includes the rebates and the MSRP is $29,175. Because this is a '05, I feel like I should be able to do better. Any thoughts on a figure I should aim for? I'm thinking $22-23K.

Thanks.

Spec - It's hard to say if this is truly a good price as you didn't state what options (if any) are on the car, but I tend to agree with you, I think you should do better. In the Midwest, Legacy GT Limited sedans with 5spdMT, and no options could have a base MSRP and (invoice) of $29,070 (26,763) or $29,170 (26,869) or $29,320 (27,027) depending on it's production date. There have been 2 price increases on the '05s since their introduction.

To have an MSRP of $29,175 (unless this is a typo :) ), you must be looking at either a pre 9/04 vehicle or pre 4/05 vehicle. But, say your car was manufactured last November, then invoice (not including options) would be $26,869. Your price would be about $1647 under invoice, and the current rebates total $2000 ($1500 rebate + $500 factory to dealer). I've heard of dealers selling '05 Legacys under invoice, and right now, getting into close-out season?...I'd say this price isn't all that great. You should at least get them to knock off another $500-$750.

Spec - It's hard to say if this is truly a good price as you didn't state what options (if any) are on the car, but I tend to agree with you, I think you should do better. In the Midwest, Legacy GT Limited sedans with 5spdMT, and no options could have a base MSRP and (invoice) of $29,070 (26,763) or $29,170 (26,869) or $29,320 (27,027) depending on it's production date. There have been 2 price increases on the '05s since their introduction.

To have an MSRP of $29,175 (unless this is a typo :) ), you must be looking at either a pre 9/04 vehicle or pre 4/05 vehicle. But, say you're car was manufactured last November, then invoice (not including options) would be $26,869. Your price would be about $1647 under invoice, and the current rebates total $2000 ($1500 rebate + $500 factory to dealer). I've heard of dealers selling '05 Legacys under invoice, and right now, getting into close-out season?...I'd say this price isn't all that great. You should at least get them to knock off another $500-$750.

Thanks for the info skibum. I did not realize that car was such an early build. I agree with you regarding price too, especially since they are expecting 06s in a couple of weeks. I hope to look at the car next week...

Thanks for the info skibum. I did not realize that car was such an early build. I agree with you regarding price too, especially since they are expecting 06s in a couple of weeks. I hope to look at the car next week...

The current incentives run thru Sept. 6, and you must take delivery by then. So, the question becomes: What, if anything is Subie going to offer on 2005's going forward? If we only knew the answer to that! :rolleyes:

Anyhow good luck with your search, and yeah, either ask the salesperson what the build date is, or check it out for yourself if you're looking at the car in-person. I believe it's on the driver's side door jam. Might also be printed someplace on the window sticker.

After some pretty serious name calling from one dealer (I had them refund my deposit!) I think I've scored a cherry of a deal:

$25,000 on a new '05 Legacy Limited GT Wagon 5MT. (It was actually $25,200 because I ordered the roof rack bars and the momo shift knob)

List price on the car was $30,420.

Albert

After some pretty serious name calling from one dealer (I had them refund my deposit!) I think I've scored a cherry of a deal:

$25,000 on a new '05 Legacy Limited GT Wagon 5MT. (It was actually $25,200 because I ordered the roof rack bars and the momo shift knob)

List price on the car was $30,420.

Albert

For the wagon, that seems like a great deal, since new MT LGT wagons are nearly extinct.

Maybe a dealer would go a little lower than $25K on a Limited sedan, but I think $23K is overly optimistic, unless it's a demo or someting. If there are still some '05's around next spring and summer (and I'm sure there will be somewhere), maybe you could shoot for a price in that range, but you won't have much choice for colors and options. Obviously, it's worth paying a little more for the exact car that you want.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wonder when more Audi guys are going to wake up and smell the coffee.

Okay fellas, I bit the bullet and I will pick up my 05 on Friday. I paid more because it was the color combo I wanted, silver ext./black int. I wish it was a later build -- the build date is Nov. 04. It was sitting on the lot for a while. No trouble on the test drive and I tried to replicate the stuttering. Anyway, the car stickered at just under 30k and I paid $25,XXX after the 1k rebate and special financing. Actually, I think I took 2k and went for the higher interest rate b/c the monthly was actually a couple bucks less that way. So that would make it $24,XXX. :D Anyway, there is always a better deal to be found, but this was the car for me. Should I be concerned with the Nov. 04 build date? Nothing modding won't fix.:lol:

sounds like a good deal - assuming your XXX was in the low hundreds...

Just picked up my wagon yesterday - $25,000 before TTL, roof bars, and shift knob

4.9% financing through Chase

Well, it wasn't low, but it was right down the middle (500). I think the XXX makes me feel better though...:lol:

Well, it wasn't low, but it was right down the middle (500). I think the XXX makes me feel better though...:lol:

Not to belabor the point, but didn't you say the price was $25,222 a while back? Different car and/or dealer, eh? Anyway, congrats on the new Legacy.

Not to belabor the point, but didn't you say the price was $25,222 a while back? Different car and/or dealer, eh? Anyway, congrats on the new Legacy.

Good memory skibum. Yep, the original quote was on a different car at a different dealer. That was a black on black with less options. The car I got was actually cheaper at $24,500...and it was my top color choice too. By the way, should I have any concerns about the Nov. build date? Thanks.

Good memory skibum. Yep, the original quote was on a different car at a different dealer. That was a black on black with less options. The car I got was actually cheaper at $24,500...and it was my top color choice too. By the way, should I have any concerns about the Nov. build date? Thanks.

Where did you purchase it? There's a black one left? As for 11/04 build date, while I'm no expert, I'd say nothing to worry about. Besides, you have a brand new warranty. ;)

Where did you purchase it? There's a black one left? As for 11/04 build date, while I'm no expert, I'd say nothing to worry about. Besides, you have a brand new warranty. ;)

Thanks.

They have a black on black sedan at:

http://www.libertysubaru.com/en_US/

They also have a 5sp wagon left. They also have a couple 5sp wagons at:

http://www.town-motors.com/index.htm;jsessionid=491d62bq7t0c4?bhcp=1

Thanks.

They have a black on black sedan at:

http://www.libertysubaru.com/en_US/

They also have a 5sp wagon left. They also have a couple 5sp wagons at:

http://www.town-motors.com/index.htm;jsessionid=491d62bq7t0c4?bhcp=1

Thank you. I guess the 5sp wagon at Liberty is this one: (2005 Subaru Legacy 05 2.5 GT Wagon Manual Obsidian Black Pearl $27,833 Stock no. 6042 VIN: 4S3BP686956314735)

I'll call them in the AM to get particulars, but will they deal?

Archived