LegacyGT.com

Super stiff clutch and loud squeaking.

Dragoeth

2006 Legacy GT Limited 5MT with 150k miles on it. TOB blew at 120k 2 years ago and ended up replacing it with clutch and flywheel all with oem parts at a Subaru dealership. Always felt that the work wasn't done exactly right but they never helped. Just kind of lived with it...

Lately however the clutch pedal has become much stiffer. My leg actually gets tired holding it down for more than 5 seconds, although usually I just pop it into the neutral at a light. There is also a loud squeak when its cold every time the pedal is pushed in or out. Other than that though it engages perfectly with no slip at right about half travel. No strange noises (other than squeak) and the shifting is smooth. Is it possible that something wasn't properly lubed during installation? And if so any suggestions on the cheapest way to fix this? I'm not the biggest mechanic, but I also don't have more than a couple hundred dollars to spend at the moment and would really like to fix it before it snowballs into something worse like another blown TOB. If its something I can google and do without moving the transmission or engine itself I'm up for it. Warranty on the work is over and the dealership who fixed it is completely piss poor when it comes to dealing with problems (only one for about 50 miles).

Car has not been launched hard or anything of the sort. Its simply my daily driver.

I did some searching on the forums for about 15 minutes but couldn't find much. Hoping I didn't miss anything since I don't come on here that often.

• Moderators

Try bleeding the clutch system (master cylinder and slave cylinder) to see if that helps with the pedal pressure.

If it's always been that way since replacement, sounds like an install issue or maybe a defective pressure plate...

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I live in Indy now. Previously was in West Lafayette by Purdue University where the aforementioned Subaru dealership was. But I'll go ahead and try lubing the pivot points. What kind of lube should I use? Some grease or just something like WD-40?

• Moderators
I live in Indy now. Previously was in West Lafayette by Purdue University where the aforementioned Subaru dealership was. But I'll go ahead and try lubing the pivot points. What kind of lube should I use? Some grease or just something like WD-40?

Outside of the transmission I used superlube. Inside the transmission (not that it really matters in this case) I used moly grease.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 3 weeks later...
I appreciate the help guys! I start by greasing the pivot points and if that doesn't help I'll try bleeding the cylinders.

well,what happened???

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

• 2 months later...
not sure if anyone is following this thread. i had similar issue. i put grease between the slave cylinder and the throw out bearing arm. then wd40 around the shaft that goes into the slave cylinder. i believe the latter is what solved my issue. new clutch was installed 25,000 miles earlier with the TOB service kit.

Archived