LegacyGT.com

Misfire on two cylinders after idle cool down

05 lgt wagon mt 222k miles. Drove 15 miles over to a friends on the way to pick up my head and itbs for another car from getting ported. I ran pretty hard over there and pulled in the driveway allowed the car to stay running while going inside to let the turbo cool down. Came back out after 10 min jumped in and him and I left to go get my parts. By the time I made it out the driveway the car started the check engine light flashing. Gimped it back and pulled codes at his his house. Got codes for misfire cyl 2 and 3. This happened last week with a misfire on 2-3-4 and I cleaned maf and it cleared up. This time I cleaned maf to no avail, cleaned it again nothing. Pulled intercooler and all couplings to check for boost leaks nothing, if I idle the throttle while it diesels it pulls 15-20 in hg. Decided to gimp back home to allow it to cool and pull plugs. So while I wait for this hot bugger to cool and pull plugs, any idea what could cause misfire on two cylinders opposite each other? It won't hardly idle and only codes are p0302 p0303.

Could be a number of things:

Plugs (sounds like you're going to check them) With that many miles, when were they last changed?

Coil pack (which you can swap with 1 and 3)

Injectors (which you can also swap, just do a search for the steps for injector swapping as it needs to be done correctly)

I would check those items first.

Do you have a laptop, or Accessport for logging?

After cool down pulled coil packs and plugs to find one coil pack connector had backed out. But brings in a new question why did it throw a code for two cylinders. Are the coil packs grounded to one another in a chain series? Car is running correctly again now. Plugs are clean with no issues and 10k on them.

These cars eat coil packs. I had an issue with #3 and changed the pack (now having changed all 4 at 88K miles) and it came back. I took all 4 of them out, put a slight twist on the 3 pins where the plug goes to make sure they had good contact and the issue has gone away and not returned in over 4K miles.

My car sits for extended periods in the garage and seems to manufacture it's own problems without any provocation (just had front O2 go bad from sitting) so, check those pins.

These cars eat coil packs. I had an issue with #3 and changed the pack (now having changed all 4 at 88K miles) and it came back. I took all 4 of them out, put a slight twist on the 3 pins where the plug goes to make sure they had good contact and the issue has gone away and not returned in over 4K miles.

My car sits for extended periods in the garage and seems to manufacture it's own problems without any provocation (just had front O2 go bad from sitting) so, check those pins.

Exactly. With the amount of miles your car has, it could be more than one coil.

Also, make sure you have the correct, high quality iridium plugs gaped and installed correctly.

If you still have misfires, could be an injector issue, or worse case scenario, a burn valve or similar.

Oddly enough mine was just the plug on the coil pack fell off from doing a change a few weeks ago and not getting it fully seated. That said I am in the process of replacing as much of the electronics as possible slowly, I actually waiting for the engine to pop for rebuild and would like upgraded coil packs and new sensors to have for the new motor when dropped in. Figure ill give this motor it's chance to shine till then. Other than medium oil use only present from blow by and high rpm boost it runs amazing. Every time something has failed on this car it's been a easy issue, such as dirty maf, coil plug wire, blow intercooler pipe etc

My manifold gaskets do have there fair share of oil seeping from one side. Yes actually it's 223k now on turbo motor, it uses maybe 1/4 quart 500 miles rotella t6 and motorkote, turbo died 3k ago, clutch is on it's last leg releasing late but still gripping, axles are in the back of the car waiting to be swapped in do to torn boots, end links are shot, crank pulley needs replaced as I noticed it has a small wobble, intercooler couple is iffy, but other than that healthy engine. I'm tempted to start increasing power substantially but I will slowly mod it, first mod is new up pipe, down pipe and single exhaust. I test fitted my spearco 750hp wta intercooler the other day and looks like a perfect fit, so that will be switched our soon, suspension will be swapped for strut spring combo soon as well.

My manifold gaskets do have there fair share of oil seeping from one side. Yes actually it's 223k now on turbo motor, it uses maybe 1/4 quart 500 miles rotella t6 and motorkote, turbo died 3k ago, clutch is on it's last leg releasing late but still gripping, axles are in the back of the car waiting to be swapped in do to torn boots, end links are shot, crank pulley needs replaced as I noticed it has a small wobble, intercooler couple is iffy, but other than that healthy engine. I'm tempted to start increasing power substantially but I will slowly mod it, first mod is new up pipe, down pipe and single exhaust. I test fitted my spearco 750hp wta intercooler the other day and looks like a perfect fit, so that will be switched our soon, suspension will be swapped for strut spring combo soon as well.

So that's

1. 220k on original turbo and motor.
  2. ~ 2 quarts per OCI. I guess it's acceptable with this mileage
  3. stock clutch for 220k. If yes, I can't believe your TOB lasted that long.

This is awesome!

Archived