LegacyGT.com

Question about Whiteline ALK

blkscooby

I just bought an 05 LGT that has the White line ALK already installed. I have a nasty clunkjng/ clacking from the front suspension and figured it was the front bushings so I ordered White lines and got new ball joints too.

Starting taking the car apart tonight and noticed there may be an issue with the ALKs. The offset collar has play on the stock bolt. The ID of the collar looks as if it is galled from constantly spinning and wear the nut is clearly showed signs of movement.

So is there an issue or were they simply not tight enough? What is the torque value?

According to the FSM, the bolt and nut that secure the ALK bushing require 81.1 ft-lbs. The bracket bolts holding them require 110.6 ft-lbs. The front bolt/nut requires 70.1 ft-lbs. I would reinstall and torque to spec, but be absolutely sure that you torque with full load on the suspension (with the car level).

Usually clunking like you said you heard is from the endlinks and swaybar bushings. I would double check the torque values on those (endlinks are 33.2 ft-lbs and swaybar bushings are 18.1 ft-lbs). If the whiteline ALK was installed, I bet there is an aftermarket swaybar/bushings/endlinks. Be sure to check the swaybar bushings still have grease.

Be careful with the pinch bolt that holds the ball joint in, it will snap if your not lucky.

New knuckle/splidles are about $120 each side.

It you have issues, just go get a new one. Unless you have all the proper tools.

But as said above, endlinks are the main cause of the noise in these cars.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Be careful with the pinch bolt that holds the ball joint in, it will snap if your not lucky.

No kidding. I broke the ball joint bolt, then about 4 drill bits and 3 broken easy outs later, I gave in and bought a new knuckle. The ball joins were fine so I left the pass side alone.

Turns out the clunking I had in the front was the ALK. Either came loose or wasn't torqued with load. The bushings were also dry as a bone. Lubed up and torqued properly, changed the inner bushings to Whitelines, adjusted the endlinks and lubed the sway bar. Now no noise and turns great.

Archived