LegacyGT.com

Looking for Help with Springs

Hi,

I have a set of Bilstein HDs on the way. Also acquired all the additional hardware such as the Spec B top hats, dust boots, spacers for the saggy rear end...etc.

Unfortunately, I just can't seem to overcome the spring delema...

I have an 05 LGT that is badly in need of some suspension work.

What I would like:

1) Little to no drop (I will tolerate 1inch if necessary)

2) Rates stiffer than stock

3) Not destroy my bank account. If I was planning to do that, I would have ordered some high end coilover set up. The car is not going to be tracked, just street and light autox use.

Overall, I want my baby to work well for years to come, and yes in the Canadian winters! That means to kill some of the body roll we are all to familiar with, and not remove much of the precious little bump travel the Subaru Mac Strut set up has graced us with.

My extensive research has ruled out Swifts, S Techs, Progress, Eibach and H&Rs as being either too low, too soft, or all around just wrong.

Leaves me with three options as far as I can see:

1) Tein H tech. Acceptable drop, not bad front spring rate, rear rate identical to stock wthhh!? --> Just doesnt seem perfect to me

2) STi Pinks. The 3302010 and 2802010 (JDM GT Wagon MTs) seem spot on in every way, rate, drop...etc. I just cant seem to get my hands on anything at a reasonable price here. HELP?? I would die to have these but I can't seem to make it happen!

3) USDM Spec B MY2007. Spent an unreasonable amount of time trying to ring any information on these out of the local dealer with no luck. I have no idea what the rates are, or what the drop is (My guess is some unknown amount stiffer, and no drop or maybe even a touch of 4x4ing due to the lighter LGT). I do also know thanks to a post by unclemat that the USDM Spec B (Rev C) set up came with largely weak suspension bits over the previous JDM revision A and Bs.

Anyway, I would really like to make this happen. I just want it to drive like my buddy's bone stock (+ RSB) Speed 6. Needless to say I have no issue chasing him at the lights, but the ride on that thing is just superb.

If anyone has any information on the USDM Spec B springs and what that will do for me, or where to get the Pinks (pleaseeeeeee :wub:) I would be in your debt. There is more than enough info on the H techs around, and certainly enough to convince me its a last resort.

Thanks!!

Cheers all

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

eny169, good call! I nearly jumped off my seat when I found this thread. Had not heard of these before: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/epic-engineering-lowering-springs-141238.html

Will get in touch with Fred Beans tomorrow to see if this is still available. The rates seem perfect!

BarManBean, are the outback springs a much stiffer rate in addition to being taller I assume?

• 2 weeks later...

I had h-techs before and they are low. Lol. They drop more than my eibachs right now...

So if you rule out eibach, I would rule out the h-techs too.

Spec B springs might be a good solution. Try searching on the forums for people selling their stock set up.

Or...I dont know if this would work but what about outback aftermarket springs? I dont know if they are any different than wagon springs. You need to do research on that as i am not sure

The front top hats must be replaced with Spec B units. The rears can be reused.

I called up the guys at Fred Beans (who carry two kits, a full [all top hats, boots, spacers, seats, other hardware...etc] and bare bones [just front top hats]) and I determines where all the pricing comes from.

Not ordering the rear top hats will save your $50 per side.

I ended up ordering the HDs locally, so I got the full kit from Fred Beans minus the struts (quoted 262), for 160 because I knocked off the rears. Why didn't I just get the bare bones kit? Well I really wanted the new spring seats as that is a pretty decent wear item and I would beat myself up if I got clunking afterwards.

Also, on the note about Eibach vs Teins, yes the drop its nuts for both. Too nuts for my desired results. I ended up ordering the Swift Sport Machs for 4 reasons:

1) With the HDs, the drop is just less than 1 inch in the front (20mm/10mm), and less in the rear to even things out

2) They are the most linear spring I could find still available

3) They are the stiffest things still available (even more than the S-techs, but without the outrageous drop *insert Jeremy Clarkson smile*). The H-techs have a stock rear spring rate -_-

4) The price isn't 100 per spring plus import charges... I think I paid 255, so probably around 3-350 by the time it shows up in Canada eh! I saved the money and bought group N mounts all around and a torque solutions pitch stop for some extra NVH and all around badassery :)

Also if anyone is interested in the nerdy side. I have worked out the approximate differences from brand new stock hardware:

1) Bilstein B6 HD - FT/RR compression rates: 0.52m/s --> FT +46%, RR +65%

2) Swift Sport FT/RR rates: 241inlb/370 inlb --> FT +23%, RR +20%

Thanks guys for all the help. If anyone has some questions on my build or in general reply here or PM me. Lord knows I have absolutely beat this thing to death research wise in this summer, including personally consulting people who have done some of these builds.

Cheers

I'm doing the exact same thing to my gt. Swift springs, swift sways, and bilsteins. But I won't have it on the car until I get a new vf40. Also selling off my tein springs I had on it previously to make my oklahoma day to day drive a bit smoother. 80 miles round trip 5 days a week got painful.

Archived