LegacyGT.com

guys help!!!

wow, zero compression. not good. you're sure the timing belt didn't skip a few teeth?
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Sorry to hear that,

Which cylinder has zero compression ?

Or are you saying all four have zero compression ?

Either way it sounds like the engine is coming out.

Who's the mechanic ? did you find someone closer to your home ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It is possible (but improbable) that the timing belt jumped a few teeth and the valves are out of time with the compression stroke and maybe the valves did not hit the pistons.

With our interference engines, it is more probable that this scenerario would

most likely bend valves from impacting the pistons.

To find out, you need to pull at least the outer timing belt plastic covers and rotate the crank to the place where the timing marks allign.

Here is an exerpt from the Shop Manual:

Timing Belt

3) Installation of timing belt:

Align the alignment mark on the timing belt with marks on the sprockets in the alphabetical order shown in

the figure. While aligning marks, position the timing belt properly.

CAUTION:

• Disengagement of more than three timing belt teeth may result in interference between valve and

piston.

Not saying it's not possible but the car was running fine a few day's ago.

He just had the BNR16g put on.

He bought the car used as far as I recall. This just could be the result of damage to the engine before his time.

I'll have to check my PM's and see what info he gave me a few month's back.

My trusted mechanic's guy's did the turbo install and pipe's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

ive seen a sheared off crank pulley before it was still in place and turning but crank didnt move...

get proper readings on compression u cant just have 0 on all 4 cylinders

if the belt jumped you would more than likely had misfires and knocking from the engine(valves)

ive seen a sheared off crank pulley before it was still in place and turning but crank didnt move...

get proper readings on compression u cant just have 0 on all 4 cylinders

if the belt jumped you would more than likely had misfires and knocking from the engine(valves)

I was thinking that too, but he says when cranking, all the belts move.

But if the belt skipped a few teeth it could cause no compression in all cyls.

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

I would think that you have definitely jumped a timing belt. There is no way that you popped all 4 pistons at once, especially if it was running OK a few days ago. I would bet that it's about 3 teeth off and that the tensioner failed allowing the belt to jump.

Take your belt covers off (and everything else that's in the way so you can actually see the path of the belt) and see how much tension is on the belt. Rotate the crank pulley back and forth slightly and see if the belt sags anywhere. My guess is that it happened when you last shut the car off and it caused enough of a slight backfire to pop the belt over the pulleys.

IF this is the case, you may be lucky enough that it didn't do any valve damage as of yet, but if you keep cranking it over, you just might. Check the belt before you turn it over any more.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived