LegacyGT.com

2.5i (no Turbo) Blue Smoke

All stock 2005 Legacy 2.5i

Let my car sit in the garage for 3 days. This morning fired it up.

Right after cranking it fired up (like normal) but the idle was rough, and there was blue smoke out the tailpipe (burning oil). Also a rattle from the engine. Sounded kind of like it was from the valvetrain on driver side, but really hard to judge.

After about 3-5 seconds the idle smoothed out and the smoke stopped and the rattle died down and everything was normal.

Drove to work and it was perfect....

Never seen this before. It is my daily driver.

Lets play the "guess whats wrong" game! I am open ears.

I thought getting rid of my WRX would get rid of blue smoke/oil consumption for good? guess not...

Maybe oil bled out of the lifter after sitting so long, then it was all pissed off when running until oil got back into it.

I just noticed I have some oil in my spark plug tubes as well, better change the valv cover gaskets...

The lifter isn' the issue if anything it would be a bad valve stem seal allowing oil to seep into the chamber on the exhaust stroke. I think given the age of the engine sometimes sitting is the worse thing for it.

When you get a chance take the cat-pipe loose from the manifold and see if there is any residue in the flange. If there is gunk then you might have one of a few problems: too rich condition caused by a bad AFR excess fuel being dumped down the manifold OR a bad valve stem seal or a bad PCV valve

• 4 weeks later...

I found a little oil in the spark plug wells, so I replaced plugs, wires and valve cover gaskets (80k on plugs and they were quite worn out). I have let the car sit for 4-5 days without driving many times and the problem has not come back after that one time. So I think it was just a momentary anomally.

Depreciation and car loans: Chalk this up to two more reasons why I dont like to buy new cars.:)

Archived