LegacyGT.com

Engine won't crank, dash has "Er HC" on odometer

^I re-did my bottom grounds ($4 for some wire and connectors at home depot. WIN) and went to the dealer's service station. They said there's probably a break in a wire of either of the cam sensors, the crank sensor, and/or the knock sensor.

So guess what I get to do tomorrow!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never mind, I've found a relay under the dash that when buzzing, it throws the er hc code. When its not buzzing, the car will turn over but not start. Its a brown relay to the right of the glove box. When this relay is buzzing the tachometer is going absolutely nutso. This happens when the crank position sensor is connected and disconnected.

Does this help?

Never mind, I've found a relay under the dash that when buzzing, it throws the er hc code. When its not buzzing, the car will turn over but not start. Its a brown relay to the right of the glove box. When this relay is buzzing the tachometer is going absolutely nutso. This happens when the crank position sensor is connected and disconnected.

Does this help?

So did replacing this, fix your problem ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Beautiful. Not a scratch. Although, one side (1&3 IIRC) looked as if the rings hadn't seated properly yet because there was oil inside the combustion chamber when I removed the head. I also read the codes right before the engine got pulled and got a P2007, intake manifold stuck closed. I'm not sure if it was a fluke or not. I can't remember the other code, only that it was pending and it was a P04xx. It might have been because of the new up-pipe that has no converter in it.

I now know why 1&3 looked so fouled with oil, it was actually carbon from incomplete combustion. Why? The TGV on that side will not even budge.

How can I go about fixing this? Is a new TGV assembly in order, a new motor or solenoid maybe? Or can I fix it some other way (WD-40, B'laster, concussive persuasion?)

If you've come this far, look into the TGV delete kit.

I would think you should be able to movethe butterfly inside hte TGV by hand.

Contact m sprank and get his input, before you do much else.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I can't afford the TGV and the tune to make it work right. I asked a technician at the dealer who is very knowledgeable about aftermarket parts and he said a TGV delete was not only useless until you build a 400+HP engine, but without a tune, it will run like absolute crap.

I can't afford the TGV and the tune to make it work right. I asked a technician at the dealer who is very knowledgeable about aftermarket parts and he said a TGV delete was not only useless until you build a 400+HP engine, but without a tune, it will run like absolute crap.

So did you get yours to free up and move ?

Have you sprayed it with something like PB Blaster ?

How do you plan to lube it before you put it back in?

Have you removed the sensor from the end ?

Does the sensor seem to be holding it back ?

Your friend is very knowledgeable about STOCK cars. Remove the butterflies but leave the shaft. The car won't know you removed them.

But you should probably take the TGV apart and rebuild it so the sensor and motor spin together and don't fight each other.

The TGV's are only used under cold start. So yes, you're cold start might not be as good as before, but the car certainly won't run like crap.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Put in the freed up TGV. Still won't start. Sent another P2007 code and knocks when trying to run. Took off the sensor to see if the motor for the TGV worked, it did, so there is no reason for a manifold stuck closed code and a no start situation. Not to mention the horrifying knock it has now on the passenger side...

I give up.

Archived