LegacyGT.com

PS belt replacement.. seeking advice

Hi folks:

looking for some advice. I needed to replace my PS belt as it was squealing on cold starts and it was slipping under load conditions. So, I took it to a local shop who replaced the belt for $100. But, the guy came to me and said, the radiator was broken, at the spot where the return hose attached to the outlet pipe to the top portion of the radiator. He had the hose clamp off. I was furious and asked the guy how that could have been broken when I came in as there was no leakage of coolant in my house where I had the car running for 30 mins while inspecting the belts before I took it to this place, or at the spot in the shop where it stood for 20 mins before they took it into the repair bay. What could have been $100 now ends up being $500:mad::mad:

Having not done this myself before, my question is, why do you need to touch the radiator or the hose to replace the PS belt? My assumption is that they broke it while trying to looses a bolt or someting, or tighten the belt while reinstalling the new belt. Of course, I can't prove that they did it now.

I appreciate your wisdom and advice from anyone that has done this job.

Sounds like they damaged it when changing the belt maybe lean on it?. Just did mine recently and it was nothing to it didn't have to remove the hose at all. $100 sounds kinda steep considering the belt only costs like 8-12 bucks.

• Moderators

Nobody would remove the radiator to get at the accessory belts :lol:

The radiators on these cars DO break, but yeah it's possible that they helped it along...on one side you do have a new radiator, but I think they likely influenced the problem and then charged you full price on the install / replacement. What kind of radiator did they throw in there, OEM?

I would try to argue for a couple hundred off and be happy with that if you can get there. Kind of depends on what you agreed to throughout the process as well.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I'm guessing they hit the hose with the ratchet or a hand while breaking the bolts loose which put force on the neck of the plastic radiator tank.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks to everyone for you feedback. I guess there is nothing:mad: I can do now, should have checked before I brought it to this shop. I hope this is of assistance to other members in case they run into this in future.

Archived