LegacyGT.com

HID kit in JDM projectors.

I have a BD legacy, and I bought some JDM projectors for it. I opened them to do the cutoff, plus I'll probably black them out, and possibly install some xbaled halo's on the projector lenses.

My question though, pertains to HID kits. I've read that its bad to put HIDs in some projectors that were originally for halogens. I live in an area with VERY few unlit roads, and I would certainly forego hid's, if it meant improper lighting, and blinding other drivers.

Being that its partially an aesthetic choice (keep in mind, I'd be getting 4300-5000k, not that gay purple stuff), I don't see it being worth the cost of retrofitting for me. So my main questions are,

Is it worth putting HIDS in halogen projectors?

Are the more expensive kits like morimoto worth the 500% price increase over the DDMTuning kits?

I read somewhere on HIDPlanet, not to bother with H1 hids. That it isn't worth it unless you're converting to d2s bulbs. Is that true, or just people being elitist?

Some halogen projectors handle them better than others. The JDM projectors produce a ton of glare. You could try swapping in some clear projector lenses, that might reduce it to an acceptable level. I wound up ditching them entirely and did a mini H1 retrofit in some USDM two piece headlights.

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr260/TurboThom/1997%20OB/USDM%20Retrofit/OUTPUT-COMPARISON_zps6e7ef457.jpg

Morimoto bulbs are worth the price over DDM, and if you have d2s projectors the OEM philips and osrams are worth the price over anything else on the market. No idea if the Morimoto ballasts are worth the price since I'm still running my DDM 35w ballasts.

The whole H1 vs D2s thing... OEM D2S bulbs are better quality and the aftermarket H1 projectors and bulbs can't quite match the performance. That doesn't mean they suck... it just means that the D2S stuff can be slightly better. A more even and wider beam pattern, better build quality, more consistent color, etc

And that's just a lens? So the whole retrofit isn't required?

Also, if your only 2 choices were halogens in JDM projectors, or HID'S in JDM projectors, would you stick with halogen?

I understand that a retrofit is the best solution, but unfortunately other things are a higher priority right now, and I don't think I'll be opening my headlights twice.

he's talking about the glass of the projector, the plastic headlight lenses themselves have a clear opening in front of the projector

I've been running DDM 4500K HIDs in OEM JDM projectors and haven't had a problem blinding other drivers and the light output was, clearly much better

for $40 the DDMtuning HID kit has lasted me about 4 years without issue so if a retro is out of the immediate picture..a cutoff swap and HID kits will leave you satisfied

Sounds good, I did a little research on clear lenses and it makes a little more sense now. I actually read a post over on hidplanet where a guy clearcoated a frosted lens like ours, and it took away the frosted effect, so I may try that with some good professional quality clear coat, and see how it works.

I noticed a TINY bubble or two in my projector lenses, is this normal?

Also, it seems like my projector shield is already for LHD. The shield is higher on the left side. Does the lens reverse the light projection?

If you don't see any obvious modification of the cutoff shield, it's still RHD. Remember that the lens flips everything upside down. The bubbles are normal, stock lenses aren't of the best quality.

I never got flashed for the glare from HIDs in stock halogen projectors, but I had a friend drive my car towards me once and it was obnoxious as hell. Not as bad as HID in halogen reflectors but still super annoying.

Great, thanks for the replies from both of you. While the retrofit seems like it'd be nice, I can't bring myself to do it in a car with 180k on the clock. Maybe if I get the forester I'm wanting.

I think my plan now, is clearcoat the lenses, xbaled halos, and the ddm 35w kit.

Thanks again.

• 2 years later...
I know I'm reviving this thread from the dead but my question is for those who bought hids for the Jdm projector headlights buying a H1 hid kit will hook up no problem to my car? The car came with stock h4 harness from the non projector oem one piece headlights. I have not wired up the headlights yet to the car, I just picked them up and currently splitting them to do the lhd beam pattern conversion. Thanks in advance

Archived