LegacyGT.com

Help ID this aftermarket port?

Working on brakes on my 98 wagon (rebuild calipers, new flex lines, fluid replace). Following the FSM's process, now that I've bled all the lines, I'm looking for the ABS Diagnostic Connector that is supposed to be near the driver's footwell heater.

For the life of me, I cannot find it.

What I do have is this add-on port which I have never used (from the original owner) and do not know what it would do for me. Can anyone ID it?

I'm wondering if the addition of this port deleted the ABS diagnostic connector. Any ideas?

http://i.imgur.com/0UplUqu.jpg

It looks like it ties into the Subaru keyless/alarm system with this plug and the other similar one behind it, black male side, blue/white female:

http://i.imgur.com/8GnmdVu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XVX1NMx.jpg

I can tell you that this plug is the starter interupt

Thanks, that helps, and makes sense.

I can't work out why that access port would be tapped into starter interrupt harness. A system programmer for the factory alarm? Allows for alarm system override? My electrical engineering knowledge isn't good enough to figure this out on my own.

I have one of those in my car too...and its got a red light!!!

I'm not sure what it is, I have never messed with it. Behind it in the steering column cover there is a small black box that says msd, it may be an ignition interrupter or kill switch..but I don't have the courage to snip the black or red wire for fear of being blown up.

Was your car previously owned by a drunk?

Kinda reminds me of the plugs the put in for the breathalizer inhibuitor units around here.

You must know what they look like from experience? LOL

The first pic is a old school alarm system but it must be disconnected because theres supposed to be a card in there. When removed the car won't start.

Op, what are you needing the abs port for and I think they're on the passenger side by the kick panel.

so have you pulled the wiring diagram yet?

No, but I hope to today. Thanks for following up.

The first pic is a old school alarm system but it must be disconnected because theres supposed to be a card in there. When removed the car won't start.

Op, what are you needing the abs port for and I think they're on the passenger side by the kick panel.

The car definitely starts, and the alarm does work, but that makes sense based on what the wiring looks like.

FSM says once you've replaced brake fluid, put the ABS system in diagnostic mode. The book isn't very clear on *why*, but I gather from searching that it cycles the ABS system to purge any air trapped in that system. And there's definitely air in there somewhere.

Archived