LegacyGT.com

2013 VW Passat TDI SEL

6sp DSG is only offered on the TDI and VR6

X

In the passat maybe, the car I can compare it to is the jetta 2.0t DSG. The passat not having a 2.0t gasser option is a new thing. They used to have a 2.0t gas option.

I rented a Passat with the 6 spd DSG, although not a TDI. The one thing that I did not like about it was that it felt like the throttle was an on/off switch. If i hit the throttle a small amount to leave a stop light it would barely accelerate. I would push the throttle down a little more and the thing would just take off like a rocket. Sport mode seemed to help this.

Total opposite with the TDI. I have to be very easy on the throttle leaving a light or the tires will spin. It has almost as much torque as a stock LGT (236 ftlbs here). Granted, there's zero top end, redline on the tach is at 5000, tho the transmission upshifts at about 4550. The TDI/DSG are super smooth too, with the rush of torque it tricks you into thinking you're going faster than you are. Which is good for someone like myself with a bit of a lead foot.

0-60 is something like 9.x sec I think, so pretty much everything but a chevy spark will beat it..

I have come from a VW background. The Passat is a wonderful family car and is really comfy. the TDI is an excellent platform to work on, I have a friend with a Jetta TDI that is pulling 11 sec 1/4 miles. Though he's done a lot of work to it. When I get back to the states, I am thinking about getting a TDI because of the MPG's. The Torque is amazing on them.

The DSG box is now very good! most of the problems that people talk about are from the first two generations of the DSG gear box, after that they became very solid and reliable transmissions, and smooth to boot!

I have come from a VW background. The Passat is a wonderful family car and is really comfy. the TDI is an excellent platform to work on, I have a friend with a Jetta TDI that is pulling 11 sec 1/4 miles. Though he's done a lot of work to it. When I get back to the states, I am thinking about getting a TDI because of the MPG's. The Torque is amazing on them.

The DSG box is now very good! most of the problems that people talk about are from the first two generations of the DSG gear box, after that they became very solid and reliable transmissions, and smooth to boot!

I've heard you can do quite alot with the TDI platform... I really don't think I'll be going there. Though I can say I would like to be able to keep up with a shitbox econo car, so I may have to chip it or something. I dunno. I have other priorities. I just ordered parts for stage 2 for the LGT this evening (probably about as far as I'll go with go-fast mods), and I'm thinking about adding a vette in a few years...

What engine did it have... the 2.0t gasser? If so I know what you mean. I think it is the extremely small turbos they use. You either are still in lag mode and feels sluggish then you give it just a little bit more gas and it suddenly spools and you chirp the tires.

it was the 2.5L with 6 spd. The 6 spd comes with the 2.5 in all trim levels

6sp DSG is only offered on the TDI and VR6

X

Maybe your right, looks like the DSG is only on the TDI and V6 but they appear to have a regular 6 spd on the others.

Im confused now because a coworker has a 2012 jetta 2.5L and I swear it has the DSG, it has a very noticeable feel to it. Their website doesnt specifically mention the DSG in the gasser jetta though.

it was the 2.5L with 6 spd. The 6 spd comes with the 2.5 in all trim levels

Well that is strange as I wouldn't think it would be so on/off with a n/a car. If the trans really is the culprit then imagine how it is with a turbo engine.

Other than the low speed, low rpms on/off feel of it I like it. Shifts very fast, makes a 5EAT legacy look like a joke. Also like that you can feel it grabbing while decel.

Archived