LegacyGT.com

Poor engine performance and periodic accelerated rpm's

My first time posting.

My 1996 subaru legacy starts very poorly sometimes, especially after driven and when hot. I seems to flood as I strongly smell raw gas and it starts as thou very flooded. Then when the gas clears and the engine starts to run without stalling the rpm will be about 2500 and I have to pop it out of gear and let it slowly lower the rpm before contiueing. I replaced the gas filter, air filter and spark plugs but still does not remedy the problem. The engine light is on. Any sugestions as to whatI can check in a process of elimination.

Thanks,

Harvey

Hey Harvey welcome, first thing to do is to get that code checked if you haven't already, that will help everyone including yourself narrow down a fueling or spark issue. What plugs are you running and are they gapped to .044?

Thanks for your prompt response!

I am useing an exspensive plug NGK R ; PFR5B 11 and yes they are gapped at .044. I tend to think it's a fuel flooding problem and my next attempt is to try a fuel injector cleaner in the gas. The car only less than 70,000 kms.

Thanks again,

Harvey

^

I'm ordering a scanguage2 in a couple of weeks, I have heard good things about them and they have a few different types. They read codes and clear them, the fuel consumption and usage, some expansions will calculate horsepower and torque. They are not overpriced and you leave it on the diagnostic port for everyday usage.

What is a MAF and where would I find it on the car? There is no knocking of the engine and when it runs fine the mix and everything seems good. It's only half the time it acts up.

Thanks again for all the suggestions,

Harvey

Harvey, you can take your subie to any auto parts store and they will pull the code for free in case you didn't know.

The MAF is integrated to the airbox that sits on top of the air filter. You unplug the wiring harness, remove the bolts and/or clips that hold the air box on, remove it, and spray the MAF. It looks like a needle and is protected by a screen.

Yep, clean the MAF. And whatever you do, DO NOT spray it when it is hot. Do it in the morning when the engine compartment is at it's coolest. If it's not the MAF, you could have a failing injector.

Get the code checked however you able to.

Thanks for all the advice,

I'm from Vancouver, Canada. With what do I clean the MAF? I assume I spray it with some cleaner based on the comment to not spray it when it's hot.

Is there some way of checking for a foulty injector?

Thanks again,

Harvey

Yes. Go buy some MAF cleaner from a parts store.

Put the tip of a screw driver on the top of the injectors and put your ear on the handle. The clicking from all of them should sound the same. But, your issues seems to be specific to RPM and throttle. So make sure the MAF is good first.

Archived