LegacyGT.com

Body work - What could I have done

Today I got the wheel on the completed body work, brought up a polished look and I was not 100% satisfied. I bet I blocked this job 4 different times and when it was primed, it looked well. I had a lot of rust to remove and metal to replace. The primer is first primer and before any blocking. I know my arch isn't perfect.

Geez adding a gloss sure bring out the imperfections and what could I have done to get a professional job. All I can say is that it is acceptable for a shade tree job.

The car was my son's first car and has some war wounds such as the hood. He rear ended a van and the hood took the brunt of it.

So I guess the job is acceptable for what can be called the beater car of the family. It is 1000% better than the big bubbling rust that was there before my body work.

829656059_Bodyworkafterinstallingmetal.jpg.116d9c76143c0281b3697ba9357558a6.jpg

1200543917_Bodyprime.jpg.ccace40e0d754afa8322d9d609816871.jpg

P7170013.thumb.JPG.a7b5ec8e148746cba1121d42a67ed62a.JPG

P7170014.thumb.JPG.46f0c69da993ec0d64ef954e603b0cec.JPG

P7170015.thumb.JPG.6c90ba78a08ae6315becf8cf205fcc7a.JPG

^^agreed, looks good. Imo bondo work is tougher to get right than pulling or shrinking. In an area like that with contour its a little harder unless you start the bondo 10-12 inches around the affected area (in the flats) meaning start the blend just under the window where the steel has the factory break and beyond the fuel door and do the feathering even farther back.

I did go several inches beyond but I agree, 10>12 would have allowed a smoother blend. I've been in body shops and those guys spread a lot of bondo to cover what I would consider a small dent. I guess it allows them room to use the tools for a smooth finish.

Bondo is a PITA because it dries to darn fast to mix a lot and then smooth a large area. I've read where people say bondo without hardener will dry but I am not sure about that one.

Too late now because I am not doing it again.

I give it a 10 foot rating, meaning from a 10 foot glance you won't see the imperfections. :)

^^agreed, looks good. Imo bondo work is tougher to get right than pulling or shrinking. In an area like that with contour its a little harder unless you start the bondo 10-12 inches around the affected area (in the flats) meaning start the blend just under the window where the steel has the factory break and beyond the fuel door and do the feathering even farther back.

I can't because I have another one on the other side to do but it is much smaller.

I've removed the rubber trim from around the wheel wells. They seem like nothing more than a moisture collector (eventually rust) and nobody will know.

looks good now come fix mine haha

I've posted about the rudder mouldings before and I'll say this again. Keep them on but they do need to be removed once and a while and cleaned. When you take them off your more prone for rusting as the factory wasn't meticulous when applying the seam sealer or primer/paint. On my old 96 my quarters were rust free and it never had body damage or work, I took them off and a 1 1/2 later I started getting rust on the lip. After inspecting I noticed where the quarter and wheel well met which would be the lip there were spots that didn't have seam sealer and or paint. If you do remove the rubber I would paint the seam at least.

Archived