LegacyGT.com

Hitch mounted bike racks?

I am very close to purchasing a 2006 Legacy GT sedan. However, I do a fair amount of mountain bike riding so I need a bike rack. I would prefer to get a hitch mounted carrier as opposed to a roof rack. Does anyone have any experience with this type of carrier?

And before you say it no I don't want a wagon. :)

YES.....I have been Mt. Biking for 20 years now and I can tell you a good ol' roof rack is the way to go.....I have tried them all; hitch mount, hanging type, you name it. The safest most secure mount is the roof type. I use Thule but a Yakima is just as good.....good luck! Oh ya, get the fork mount type over the type that allows you to stand the bike with its front wheel on....

sunroof + roof rack = alot of noise. had it on my outback, my saturn and my honda. LOVE the roof rack, but couldn't deal with the noise even with the wind fairing on . I've got the wagon with a hidden hitch on it and a performance X-port rack.

So far, I love it. I do miss features of the roof rack, but I love being able to use my sunroof.

It's a choice.

use the search function too, you'll find ALOT of stuff on this topic

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

roof rack

Pro: most secure

con: expensive,

if you park in the under ground you have to be caerful,

a lot of wind noise

hitch mount:

Pro: relatively cheaper

easier to put on assuming you dont have a weird geometry frame

con: less secure

if you load up the rack ie 3 bikes on a 3-bike rack chances are the bikes will rub against each other

hitch mount:

if you load up the rack ie 3 bikes on a 3-bike rack chances are the bikes will rub against each other

I'm only carrying 2 bikes. Would it be better for me to buy a 4 bike hitch rack to avoid rubbing?

Roof racks also decrease fuel mileage. My last car, a Camry would get 32 mph highway. With just the roof rack and fairings, 27 mpg. With 3 bikes on the roof, one in the trunk and a ton of spare wheels, plus 2 passengers, 23 mpg.

I still like Yakima more than Thule even though Yakima racks aren't made in the US anymore.

With receiver hitch racks, I would buy one that swings out of the way. It makes access to the trunk easier.

Roof racks do have it's advantages since the bikes are spaced apart. With receiver hitch racks, sometimes they bang into each other. You also need to get a good cable lock if you plan on being away from the car with the bikes on the rack.

I'm only carrying 2 bikes. Would it be better for me to buy a 4 bike hitch rack to avoid rubbing?

if you only have 2 bikes a 3 bike rack will do it.

Normally I only carry 2 bikes on my 3 bike rack and they dont rub against each other.

If you ever carry 3 bikes, just put some clothes between the bikes and it should be fine.

However if you do skiing it's not a bad idea to get the roof rack, cuz it'll make your life a lot easier in the winter.

Another vote for a roof rack. I have a couple of pretty expensive bikes and I feel better with them on the roof. If someone rear ends a car with bikes on the back, not only are the bikes toast but your car will be damaged worse.

For noise, Yakima (maybe Thule also) sells these 8" wide wing shaped doohickies that clip on the cross bars. They cut down on noise alot. Another technique is to make a bungie cord with a loop on either end. Loop one end around the cross bar and then spiral the bungie around the cross bar until you get to the other side and then loop that end on the other side of the cross bar. This helps the cross bar shed vortices and decreases noise.

I have Yakima racks but Thule is good also.

http://www.performancebike.com/product_images/75/40_1639.jpg

here's mine. No rubbing issues with this. It's also the least expensive of the ones like this. Saris makes a real nice one, but a little too $$$ for me. Also, I picked this one because the arm coming up from the hitch arches up. no clearance issues yet.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

YES.....I have been Mt. Biking for 20 years now and I can tell you a good ol' roof rack is the way to go.....I have tried them all; hitch mount, hanging type, you name it. The safest most secure mount is the roof type. I use Thule but a Yakima is just as good.....good luck! Oh ya, get the fork mount type over the type that allows you to stand the bike with its front wheel on....

I kinda disagree with you here. On my WRX, I bolted on a 1 1/4 hitch.I do a combination of triathlons and mountain biking. It is so much sweeter to park your bikes at the back. Based on the number of times you ride, it is a pain in the ass to keep taking of the front wheel and sticking it on. With a hich you don't have to worry. Plus the dude that bought my ride, totolly love the idea of having the hitch. That was a plus.

Drawtite the only way to go. Cost me around $170.

I rode last weekend with a guy who had an 05 OB 2.5i with a hitch rack. He was worried about having three DH bikes on the rack because of the tounge weight on the 1 1/4" Drawtight hitch he was using. I'm not sure if that was based on manufacturer recomendations or if he was just paranoid to hang $10,000+ worth of other people's bikes on his hitch. Regardless, that is something to look into if you (or your riding buddies) have big bikes.

I've got a roof rack now and plan on getting a hitch too eventually to save on roadtrip gas cost. Also, that will let me put my Thule box on the roof and still bring bikes. For short distances or carrying lots of bikes, you can't beat a roof rack, but for longer trips the hitch makes more sense.

So basically if you're carrying heavy bikes, get the 2 in receiver. You should be set.

if you only have 2 bikes a 3 bike rack will do it.

Normally I only carry 2 bikes on my 3 bike rack and they dont rub against each other.

If you ever carry 3 bikes, just put some clothes between the bikes and it should be fine.

Thanks jda. I'll look into a 3-4 bike hitch rack.

One of the cons of a roof rack is that you need to be able to lift your bike on to the roof. I went with a hitch rack for my Legacy because there is no way my wife is going comfortably lift her bike on to the roof our car. Since she doesn't drive my WRX, I have a roof rack on my WRX.

Thanks jda. I'll look into a 3-4 bike hitch rack.

One of the cons of a roof rack is that you need to be able to lift your bike on to the roof. I went with a hitch rack for my Legacy because there is no way my wife is going comfortably lift her bike on to the roof our car. Since she doesn't drive my WRX, I have a roof rack on my WRX.

No problem.

You might want to consider the rack that c-lo has suggested:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=17093&subcategory_ID=4411

it looks a lot secure than the ergular hitch rock, and its more suitable for frames with weird geometry

It just occurred to me that a roof rack on a Subaru sedan might be extra noisy due to the frameless doors. If you have an REI in your area, they have a great selection of racks and a good return policy.

FYI

I have a thule roof rack on my sedan, and the the frameless windows have no impact on noise. It actually fits better than other framed door cars I've had.... The rack itself does have some wind noise but not because of the feet attachment.

Mileage does take a hit, about 3-4 mpg on the higway by my calculations, worse when bikes are up there.

I rode last weekend with a guy who had an 05 OB 2.5i with a hitch rack. He was worried about having three DH bikes on the rack because of the tounge weight on the 1 1/4" Drawtight hitch he was using. I'm not sure if that was based on manufacturer recomendations or if he was just paranoid to hang $10,000+ worth of other people's bikes on his hitch. Regardless, that is something to look into if you (or your riding buddies) have big bikes.

I've got a roof rack now and plan on getting a hitch too eventually to save on roadtrip gas cost. Also, that will let me put my Thule box on the roof and still bring bikes. For short distances or carrying lots of bikes, you can't beat a roof rack, but for longer trips the hitch makes more sense.

You are right. The 1 1/4 drawtite has a tongue load of 200lbs. How many bikes do you really wan to stick on? Downhill rigs normallly go around 30-35lbs. Towing capacity is not relevant as everyone should know that performance vehicles should never be used for hauling no matter what.

Archived