LegacyGT.com

can't keep my EJ22 running

I just purchased my '98 Legacy w/ EJ22 engine two weeks ago. It has been running flawlessly. Last week, I had the timing belt done (along with new seals, water pump, hoses). The car ran great as I drove it home. I went to start it this morning and it started right up, ran OK for 5- 10 seconds, then the engine died. I restarted it (again no problem firing it up), but the only way I can keep it running is racing the engine- as soon as I let off the gas, it dies.

My first thought was something with the timing belt since the car hasn't been driven more than 20 miles since it was done, but if the belt or tensioner has failed it wouldn't start at all. To me it feels like it's not getting any fuel. I was about to change the fuel filter anyway (not sure when or if it was last changed), but I'm wondering if it's a clogged filter or is the fuel pump on its way out.

Has anybody else run into this type of issue suddenly coming on the way it did? If it is the fuel pump- where is it located and how bad is it to change out?

I just put a lot of $ into the Draggin' Wagon since I got it (the aforementioned timing belt work + a new set of Michelins)-would hate for something major and unexpected to be wrong now

Fuel pumps will go out that way, can be erratic or just all of a sudden. First thing I would do is just turn the key to on position (don't start it) the pump relay should click and the pump should prime. If it doesn't click or prime those would be indicators of a failure between the relay or pump. Relays rarely if you don't know where it is, look under the dash and remove the panel that's buy your knees there are three relays under neath, the pump relay is the brown one I believe. The fuel pump is located in the back under the mat, lift it out of the car and there will be an access panel with 4 screws. From there you will see the assembly...good luck.

Thank you. I did hear the fuel pump run when I turned the ignition on. I just started it again. Leaving my foot off the the accelerator, it fires right up like normal, runs smoothly for about 5 seconds and the engine just dies. It reminds of when I change the fuel filter in my Nissan truck (I first start it, then pull the fuel pump fuse to release the pressure in the fuel lines and the engine will run a few more seconds and die).

^^……Did you inspect your pcv, you can remove it and shake it to make sure the pin is free, inspect the iacv as well. They need a cleaning every once in a while, you will need a new gasket if you remove it though.

A lot of idle problems could be found through inspection of easily overlooked areas, a week after I installed a new motor I had to hunt for a whole day before I noticed a hair on my maf sensor..was driving me bat shit but it turned out fine.

Thanks. Can you tell me where the pcv valve and the iacv are located? Actually won't come close to idling at all once it starts cutting out- basiocally need to keep pumping the gas to keep it going at that point.

Thanks. Can you tell me where the pcv valve and the iacv are located? Actually won't come close to idling at all once it starts cutting out- basiocally need to keep pumping the gas to keep it going at that point.

Your idle air control valve is the white device on the left side of the center of the intake manifold. It has a large vacuum tube connected to it & a white connector.

Well, you guys led me in the right direction. I found the idle air control valve, then I noticed the other end of the large vacuum hose that connects to it wasn't connected to the air cleaner assembly. I hooked it back up and purrs like a kitten again. I had opened up the air cleaner hosing to check the filter yesterday. I figured it was something I did fiddling around under the hood. Thanks again!

Archived