LegacyGT.com

David/Kenny's 1996 LGT

Might as well do rods & pistons while you're in there, if you can swing it.

I was just naming the basics. :D Ken's gonna do the math to figure out which head gasket to use with the motor. Looks like it's going to be an STi Crank, ACL Race Bearings, Detal grind on the cams (not sure which yet), Eagle H-Beam rods, and a thin head gasket, and new pistons. From what Ken's told me, we're shooting for about 11:1 compression on this motor.

Small side note. Ken and I ghetto-fabbed a plug to get rid of the old coil pack and wires as the pack was on it's way out and the wires were shorting out on the intake manifold. Best part...only one bolt fits on the manifold currently installed, we'll be fixing that this weekend. :D So...zip ties to the rescue. Runs so much smoother, 90% of the valve tick is gone and so is most of the audible knock we've heard. She's still misfiring, but we think that's just due to the plug we put together. Stay tuned for some pics of our amazing zip tie and tape work.

Update:

Last night we swapped the 96 intake manifold for the 99 intake manifold. We also swapped the fuel filter as it's brand new, and the coil pack. We swapped the intake as we were experiencing a lot of running issues that were causing miss-fires and generally running rough. I knew the 99 intake and all it's associated parts were in perfect condition as the 99's motor ran smooth with no issues.

The difference is monumental. She's running smoother than ever. There still is a miss-fire at cylinder number three. It only starts to occur as the motor warms up so I'm leaning towards a spark plug gap expanding. Tonight we will be installing a new set of plug all around. More so, the swap rid the motor of quite a few ticking and knocking noises. The only remaining noise is the lower end knock, but it's nowhere near as bad as before.

Overall the car is slowly heading in the direction we've wanted. We're going to be building the high compression motor sooner than we thought though. It will consist of:

- 99 Phase 2 EJ25D block

- STi crankshaft

- ACL Race main/rod bearings

- Eagle ESP H-beam rods

- EJ251 OEM pistons/rings

- Cometic MLS head gaskets

- Delta 1000 grind camshafts

Like David mentioned, I'm shooting for 11.0:1 compression with this motor.

The 4EAT is starting to get a little rough. She's binding up more and more lately. When the motor is built and ready to go in, we'll be pulling the current motor along with the trans and doing some work to it. We'll be replacing the duty-C, clutch pack, filter, pan, and fluid. Hopefully, with those repairs and the sport mode mod, we'll have a kick ass combo.

We'll also be doing some body work along with the motor install. We're going out to do some work now, and we'll get some pics and vids. I'll be back to update later.

Update:

This motor is really starting to annoy me. It makes all sorts of noises randomly, has an extreme dislike of the heat, and is starting to act up. We figured out that the miss-firing issue was being caused by garbage spark plugs.. The one in #3 was actually broken.. And now, just above idle and after the motor has been running for a while, for about 500 to 1000 RPM of acceleration (between 1,000 and 1,500 RPM's), the motor catches almost like it's being starved to fuel and accelerates in a stuttered manner. I'll get a video sometimes this week... It could be a a number of things.. Vacuum leak, crappy fuel pump, etc.. Ah, and the upper radiator hose has sprung a hole and leaks when the system hit a high enough pressure. So, now that has to be replaced.

Trans bind has started getting quite bad... I'm very glad we'll be doing some work on it in the coming months.

We have finally taken a video of the exhaust and it'll be posted here soon enough.

OH, and we took her to the track! I wasn't very impressed though. Minus my reaction time she actually ran 2/10th's of a second and 4 MPH slower than my original best time a few years ago. That could have been because of the weather and such, but it surprised me since the car should be making much more power. The original motor made 155 HP when new, and the current motor made 165 HP when new and now has a UEL header as well.

*shrug*.... The transmission bind could just be that bad.

On my best run:

60' - 2.432 seconds

1/4 - 16.8 at 80 MPH

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so since kenny feels like being a slacker and not posting anything in here, I shall do the video update. As per the last post, here is our first video of the exhaust:

We'll reshoot another video at another time to get a couple of driveby's, more rev's, a better angle, and maybe an internal clip as well.

EDIT: With the plan to rebuild the other Phase 2 we have for high compression, I'm going to drop the car back off at the exhaust shop at some point to have him run a larger pipe (3" most likely), install new gaskets, new bolts, high flow cats, etc. and put on a better muffler. Should be a lot louder and sound a LOT better.

Archived