LegacyGT.com

Disappointment?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Every one asked why I sold my '96 Z-28. I looked nice and went like crazy. Even got good mileage (23-25 highway) but the rattles drove me crazy!! My sedan with 18k has no rattles or squeks but Im told that with Subaru's some do some dont. This is my first Subaru so maybe Im lucky.

I'm happy with mine, so far there haven't been any rattles.

Just picked up one of the last 05 model 5MT wagons from Galles and Davis. Good to see another New Mexican :)

You got the silver/black one?:D

This is (at most) an "average" car with an "above average" engine.......not surprising...we had rattles....Subaru stuffed foam rubber around the fuel lines in front of the firewall....its the official fix from Subaru....

I think it's well above average - I mean, come on, compare it to what Ford's asking $30k for - the ford 300? Yikes. and the CTS with the 2.8 engine? the interior of my car is much nicer than the cadillac.

Of course, I have the (seemingly unpopular here) Taupe interior, which I think is extremely well executed. Easily as nice as an A4 or 3 series (excepting the wood, but even so I think this plood is very well done).

IMO, the primary fault of this car is the stock rubber. Any car called "GT" (well, that isn't an american car) has no business with low performance all season tires. This car at MINIMUM should have the RE950, and really, I think the RE750 (assuming we must have bridgestones) is the appropriate tire for the car.

Anyway, ignoring the engine, I think the car (GT Limited) is extremely well executed. I personally don't like the cloth or black leather interiors. In those two settings, I agree, the car is not great, but still above average.

Really, look at $30 K american cars, and you can't call this car average.

If it makes you feel any better my mum's Lexus LS430 also has a rattle that cannot be pinned down after a few attempts after 10k miles so far. This car its much more noticable since the car is so quiet.

Personally I think its (bad)luck of the draw and has little to do with manufactuer origin. Note your Legacy is built in the US by the UAW if you did not know and is not Japanese "built".

Good luck in having them repair it they can be quite difficult to find.

If it makes you feel any better my mum's Lexus LS430 also has a rattle that cannot be pinned down after a few attempts after 10k miles so far. This car its much more noticable since the car is so quiet.

Personally I think its (bad)luck of the draw and has little to do with manufactuer origin. Note your Legacy is built in the US by the UAW if you did not know and is not Japanese "built".

Good luck in having them repair it they can be quite difficult to find.

I agree, my friend and his family have and have had several lexus, and some of them have rattles. As for the built in the USA thing, rattles are not just there because of how a car was built, they are often there to poor engineering.

Every one asked why I sold my '96 Z-28. I looked nice and went like crazy. Even got good mileage (23-25 highway) but the rattles drove me crazy!! My sedan with 18k has no rattles or squeks but Im told that with Subaru's some do some dont. This is my first Subaru so maybe Im lucky.

I hear you (no pun intended). I had a modified 95 Z-28 that was faster than poop through a goose, but the rattles in that car drowned out the Hooker long tubes. I finally got rid of it because gas was too expensive and I couldn't drive it in the winter.

Mine has some annoying rattles as well. One definately sounds like it's coming from the rear view mirror...other sounds like it comes from around the shifter/AC area? That's the only 2 i have but they're are very annoying.

Still under 5K miles but the Legacy seems to be put together pretty well. I'll take my chances with Subaru quality over Audi. And while Mercerdes may have a good reputation when it comes to quality, they've been suffering a bit lately.

Still under 5K miles but the Legacy seems to be put together pretty well. I'll take my chances with Subaru quality over Audi. And while Mercerdes may have a good reputation when it comes to quality, they've been suffering a bit lately.

Actually, Merc quality has been really horrible over the last 5 yr or so. I read "CAR" regularly, and they are to the point where they point out the poor build quality in their "quick take" notes in the back.

Several editorials have been written about the poor quality and even poorer service, and in England anyway, Merc is losing customers for the long term hand over fist.

Ever notice how many Merc ML's there are in the classifieds?

I have approx. 600 miles on my new 05 LGT Limited and already have two bad resonations coming from the both B-pillars and the sunroof.

It really bummed me out the first day they showed up.

Of course the dealer can't hear it.

Anybody know how to fix these specific problems??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Rob

I have 05 LGT LTD 5MT that I picked up just over 2 weeks ago. Right now I have about 1500km on it, and after a few days I noticed a rattling sound coming from behind a/c-stereo area. I can hear it sometims...it comes and goes, but when it comes it stays for a while. It's pissing me off really, but other then that, no other sqeeks or rattles - maybe some very very minor. When it comes to sqeeks and rattles, I'm very sensitive too. That's why I got a new car.

My old 2002 Nissan Frontier was a major rattletrap. After about 5,000 miles, the suspension squeaked like crazy over any little bump. Speedbumps sounded like nails on a chalkboard, and I couldn't even THINK about taking it off-road. That truck also had an A/C rattle, a creaking windshield, mystery buzzing that came from behind the glovebox somewhere, etc. Also, the belts started chirping after about 12,000 miles - it sounded like a 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass that had been parked in a barn for 10 years. Of course, the dealer response to everything was "that's a known issue, everything is fine, there's no way to fix it".

So, that soured me on Nissan, which is why I traded it in on my Subie. So far, the only thing that really qualifies as a rattle in my LGT 5MT wagon is the e-brake button. On rare occasions it will rattle very quietly, but if I give it a nudge, it stops. My clutch pedal softly squeaks sometimes too, but I don't think it's anything that a little lube can't fix.

Hello everyone, first time Subie owner and first post here. I must agree that I'm disappointed with the rattles. There's been a rattle in the passenger door/speaker since new. Certain notes or rough roads expose it. On the back roads through Amboy CA last week and it sounded like the damn doors were going to fall off the car.

Hello everyone, first time Subie owner and first post here. I must agree that I'm disappointed with the rattles. There's been a rattle in the passenger door/speaker since new. Certain notes or rough roads expose it. On the back roads through Amboy CA last week and it sounded like the damn doors were going to fall off the car.

Go out, buy the biggest subwoofer and amp you can find, play it full blast, and walla, you cant hear the rattles anymore...

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 03 wagon, and have approx 4 rattles/noises.

1: Seat belts. These are the No1 offenders. What I do is tuck the Passenger side belt clip into the pillar where the belt goes into the spooler, and wedge the rear seat belt clips between the seat and side of the car. No more seat belt rattles.

2: Steering column housing - Underneath. This like literally began yesterday during a drive down some dirt roads. I'll have to find a way to get some arresting materials on it to keep it from rattling.

3: Rear Hatch, easy fix, found out that latch mount was loose and giving the hatch to much play. Loosen the door latche bolts, reseat them and tighten, solved hatch 'thunk' while going over bumps.

4: Window Grommet Driver side door. This is the peice that the Window slides into at the front of the door, also holds the mirror. Doesn't rattle, but makes a pretty good wind noise at speed.

This is actually one of the best cars, build quality wise I've ever owned.. frankly, a few rattles are easily acceptable given the fact that other more major items are in perfect order, not usually something I can say about domestics, ESPECIALLY trucks.

So I'd say, a few rattles... least of your worries.. in the long run.

Ive had my LGT for several months and about 10K, I dont understand why your models are so squeaky. If anything, this car is wonderfully quiet. I had a Dodge Avenger (Long Time Ago...I realize its an eclipse) but that thing rattled like no tomorrow, so did my Volvo wagon. The tightness in this car is commendable. I shut the doors just to hear that nice noise.

I would like to post an update. Now that I am back in new mexico, there are less rattles(also less power :) ), which I imagine are due to the smoother pavement. The rattle that is still there is the one in the rearview mirror, but if I grab it and squeez it a bit, it will stop. It also seems like I can hear the injectors more here, but I am kind of weird when it comes to noises.

I'll keep the previous Z-28 owners with rattling cars going. I had a 93 Z-28 with SLP headers, no cats, and a Dynomax cat back. Combine that with 275-35-18's

What my exhaust didnt shake loose, the low profile tires took care of.

my legacy is a dream, no rattles in the first 18xxx miles.

I hear you (no pun intended). I had a modified 95 Z-28 that was faster than poop through a goose, but the rattles in that car drowned out the Hooker long tubes. I finally got rid of it because gas was too expensive and I couldn't drive it in the winter.

I would like to post an update. Now that I am back in new mexico, there are less rattles(also less power :) ), which I imagine are due to the smoother pavement. The rattle that is still there is the one in the rearview mirror, but if I grab it and squeez it a bit, it will stop. It also seems like I can hear the injectors more here, but I am kind of weird when it comes to noises.

Damn our high altitude! At least we get good weather here.

Archived