LegacyGT.com

Turbo whine, or exhaust leak??

MarcusDubya77

I went to Stage II recently..and ever since have been hearing a loud whistle noise while I am moving..the pitch, or wwhhiizzzzing sound raises and lowers as I accelerate and decelerate..Also, my Turbo heatshield IS removed..Anyone know if its whine or exhaust leak??

might be a leak. have you retorqued your bolts since you installed the pipe. proper gaskets, the right sealing compound and retorquing the gaskets will prevent leaks. unless you got a messed up dp flange. then its just pure bad luck.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

Guest *Jedimaster*
Sounds to me like the turbo, not a leak. If you hear it accelerating mostly between buildings, I know the sound well- just a turbo spooling up- I like it.

I have had this same problem, only happened after I removed and replaced the stock mid pipe (minus that cat material) The turbo whistle is fairly loud, but is very clear and very easy to tell its the turbo. However once the car is warm (after 20min of driving) at 2krpms only i can hear what sounds like a constant bird chirp from the mid pipe area. I have not figured out what it is yet, i have re torqued everything. driving me crazy

I have had this problem for a month or so and I have not changed any pipes. It did it before stage 1 and has continued. It almost sounds like the sound that breakes make when they are worn. I mostly hear it when I am passing a car or building but I hear it faintly all the time. I'm going to get all 4 wheels off the ground and go through the gears and see if I can see where the noise is coming from. The sound I hear stops when I stop. So I'm thinking driveline noise.

Finally discovered what my problem was...They installers didn't tighten down all nuts..2 actually shoke off of the DP..Found out at my oil change at Pep Boys..I made a mistake and bought low temp threadlock and new nuts..Now my car smells like its burning from the threadlock heating off...Still want a new heatshield..really feel that I might burn up something without it..:(

If it sounds like a jet engine, don't worry about it. From what you're describing it sounds like the turbo spooling up. This might help narrow it down - does the pitch of the whistle directly follow rpm, or does it go up in pitch much faster? If it's the latter, it's the turbo spooling up. If it's matching engine RPM's, you likely have a leak.

-Max

ive put a dp on the ride,no AP stages, with a gutted uppipe, and a pulley, nothing but turbo spool. which has to be the best sound u can make with this car. if u really worry about it have someone jam some rags in the tail pipes, stop exhaust flow as much as possible. if theres a leak u should find it (ears,eyes, or hands) & go over ur connections.

• 4 months later...
I installed a Crucial up/dp with new copper gaskets and also a Borla Catback Exhaust. Ifound out the other day that the bolts had lossened up and I had actuall dropped one from the top of the dp. I got them retorqued today and I still am hearing the whistle noise. It is about 3g Rpm. Not sure if it is a leak or the turbo spooling. Sounds foreign for know because i haven't heard the turbo spool before. Really have nothing to compare it to. Doyou think the dealer could tell me or will they give me a hard time about the pipes? Any suggestion???

dont go to the dealer.

i get the spool-up btw 2k and 3k RPMs and it winds down as soon as you release the accelerator.

other than that check boost levels if you have an AP or boost gauge and that will tell you if you are leaking

a check of boost levels and a log using a laptop(if possible) will show you anything that could possibly be going wrong...even though everything sounds like there is nothing wrong.

people, one dont take it to the dealer......they will laugh at u. Its a turbo!!! it will make some weird noises. really more when mods & what products are installed. full dp, shorty, intake, tuned, cat-back or not. blah,blah,blahblah

I would think most noises are universal but MT/AT probably makes slightly different noises.

I would say 4-5 different actual sounds

Just when u get extra time u or someone else go over ur connections, retighten, from time to time.

• 3 months later...

sorry to bump an old thread....

i'm also getting a whistling noise since installing my DP...

It increases in pitch as i accelerate and stops the instant i let off the throttle. I also dont hear anything while coasting or maintaining a constant speed. (basically i only get it while the engine is under load)

im' fairly certain that i'm just hearing the turbo spooling, but a little confirmation would probably help me sleep better at night :)

I didn't have an audible leak, but there are ways to describe what the turbo sounds like.

First, on a quiet street with the windows down you should hear the turbo spool from around 2K up to 3K or so. Starts lower pitched/air rushing sound and goes up quickly in pitch as you approach 3K. Also gets drowned out (from the I perspective) with wind/transmission/road noise as you get above 4K-5K.

Pay attention to other turbo cars, trucks and buses. Listen for a similar sound, it will be there. I've noticed my vehicle turbo detection has gone way up after owning the LGT, hehe.

Archived