LegacyGT.com

Gas for road trip, 87 or 93??

I am driving from Illinois to Colorado and I am wondering if, since i'm not runinng it for performance if I could get away with the cheap stuff and then when I got to Colorado put 93 in it. I have 1200 miles on it, will it mess up any sort of break-in period?

The car is designed and calibrated to run on at least 91 octane. While you certainly won't blow up your car by running a tank or two of 87, you really should not cheap out and run 87. Think of it this way, assuming your trip is about 1500 miles, and you average 25 mpg, you will use 60 gallons of gas. There is about a $0.20/gal difference between 87 and 91-93 octane, which means you will save a whole whopping $12 in gas costs. Not my money, but I'm not about to put my car in any kind of jeopardy to save $12 in a $30,000 car.

I will never understand the reasoning behind saving a whopping two dollars on a fillup. Use the gas the car was designed for. If you wanted to use regular, you should have bought a car that didn't require premium fuel.

Blunt, yes. Necessary? Absolutely.

I totally agree with you John M. Two bucks isnt a big deal when you already spent the 30 grand on the car. Quick question that I am sure has already been answered, but I understand that there is a difference between some of the same octane gas at different stations. Is there ethenol or something? If so, is it cool to put it in my car or should I look for a station without it. What gas do you guys know that is definatly fine to put in the car?

bwd, did u ever try 93 and, if so, feel any diff?

Did one tank of 93, and didnt notice a difference. I bet if you had an AP plus stage 2, and ran 93+ all the time, there would definately be a difference.

I hope I don't come across as harsh but if you achieve 23 MPG (our average with LGT) you will require ~50 gallons of fuel. Premium is nearly always $0.20 more than 87 octane since I have been purchasing it back when it was $1.00 for regular.

You are looking at saving $10 over the 1200 miles. Not sure if you did that math but if that is a lot of money then skip a few expensive coffee's.

enjoy your trip

On a recent trip (towing a trailer with two motorcycles) I had to fill up with 89 because that was all that was available. There was a slight difference. The car seemed to get 1, maybe 2 mpg less then on 91. There are also a lot of other factors (wind, hills, temp, etc). Towing the trailer and with the car full of gear, we got 13-17mpg. The average was 15. I also found that the avg mpg of the trip computer is pretty accurate, .2 to .6 mpg high. It's kind of hard to gauge when every pump doesn't stop in the exact same spot.

Couldn't you use the vishu ECU reset to make it learn right away instead of waiting for 2 tanks worth to learn?

We have 94oct in Canada but gas prices are throught the roof @ $1.15/L for 94oct CAD. That is about $3.60/gal USD. I wouldn't be complaining about your gas prices. :)

He he he...today I was running a solid 31.3 (per onboard computer) after I filled my gas tank. Of course on the highway...with cruise control at 60 mph. Soon dropped as I ran into traffic but I routinely get at least 28 if I behave. On the last long road trip...with stints at 80-100 mph I still averaged 23.6 per pencil calculation - from full tank to full tank. Which ...given the speeds (avg. of 70-75), the load and the bursts of high speed makes the Legacy look like a Toyota Prius just twice more powerful, faster and roomier. Plus I find myself looking for higher gears every time I am hitting 2500 rpm. Driving with 5th in the city and taking shit from all these wanna-bes that wanna better my car. The gas prices are obscene...$ 2.90 at today's fill-up. Will start taking public transportation...

I would strongly consider the advice already given to you...buy premium gasoline. Why risk anything in order to be cheap and save 15 bucks in gasoline. Just stay off boost and lower the cruising speed. That should save you more money alone than going on lower spec gas. Get a Cobb AP tool and use economy map.

Archived