LegacyGT.com

What is this and why does it look loose?

I had the front driver side jacked up and noticed this sticking down. It looks like a stud and as far as the nut, it looks tight. Maybe it is backing out of where ever it goes? With the car back on the ground it looks like it goes back into place, but it is hard to tell since the car is on the ground. It certainly doesn't stick down as far.

I hear a sound, when I brake, like something rolling towards the front of the car and banging. I can feel it directly under my feet in the floor pan. So, I'm trying to figure that out.

The stud in the center of the picture with the rubber bushing. This is the small cross member under the transmission, basically under the shifter console.

1094041302_DSC005731.thumb.jpg.ae08ba3a4023c6dd397fd2ccb20aa96d.jpg

the pic is a littl hard to read since there isn't much for a reference, but it looks like that is part of the rear trans mount.

i'm not sure if the 5 speed and the auto are the same.

it can go bad.

it can clunk.

but that one does not look bad from that angle.

how does the top look?

That is the upstream cat on the right of the picture? Front subframe tranny mount it looks like, the autos and 5speed mounts are different I believe.

Where the dirt is missing right under the bolt indicates there used to be a bushing or spacer of some sort, I went and put my car on the ramps and couldn't see that bolt.

Where the dirt is missing right under the bolt indicates there used to be a bushing or spacer of some sort, I went and put my car on the ramps and couldn't see that bolt.

It doesn't look like anything is MISSING. Rather, it looks like that bolt has dropped down, whereas it used to be pressed up against that cross-member (the dust print matches the top of the rubber bushing on the bolt.) So it almost appears as though the problem is related to something on the other side that we can't see...

my guess is when the car is sitting on the ground, all is well.

but jacking it up causes the something to change and .....

if the car / trans does not ''clunk''' whne shifting into D or R from P then all is ok.

that bolt is designed to move as shown in the pic.

don't over think it.

as long as the car operates as intended .... not to worry.

I don't have a shifting clunk, but I'm trying to track down a rolling thud when I come to a stop. It sounds like something is rolling across the floor and then hitting the firewall when I stop. It doesn't make any sound when I take-off, only when I stop.

i had a similar noise, drove me crazy. found out after a week of it (and many times checking suspension, engine and everything i thought it could be) that one of my kids had put a 5 gallon water bottle in the trunk. the echo from that sucker was a weird noise, and it was so ambiguous that i couldnt tell where it was coming from.

Archived