LegacyGT.com

Breaking in the brakes

CombatCQB

[url]http://www.bira.org/bedding.html[/url] Any of you spend the time to do this? It starts with light driving, then some medium braking, then hard braking to heat up the pads and establish a wear pattern between the rotors and pads.

That's really excessive. But yes, I always do that after I get new pads/rotors or a new car :) The pads are very soft and they "bed" without much fanfare, unless of course they were badly manufactured and not very flat. It's just that you want have a couple heat cycles on your rotors, clean off any junk, and leave a fine coat of brake pad on them.

Im sure when they develop and manufature pads that they have allowances built in for ppl that just rip straight into them. I personally believe everything has a bed in period and u should go softly softly until this period has passed. On my current MY01 Legacy/Liberty I have 100K on the clock and the pads are due to be changed next service. I do a lot of heavy breaking and especailly late braking and for them to last this long must have something to do with the bed in cycle period I followed.

I'm betting I could take care of the rotor bedding and pad betting for the most part in 3-4 hours time (because I have some freeway time between destinations which will allow them to cool sufficiently.) Granted I'm not sure that something that detailed is needed, but doing it to a lesser extent can only help. :)

Oh you know it adam. It's pimp riding time. :P Hard to think about break-in when you're in awe over all the new gizmos, gadgets, and just plain upgrades in some 8 years of time to the same model line.

Bedding should take no more than 30 mins overall. I use to do it a lot when I would switch pads from street, autocross, and track use on my WRX. I doubt you need to bed the stock pads. If anything, just dont use your e-brake when you park your car after a hard drive. The rotors warp when they cool.. so dont put any pressure on them and just park it in gear. Keefe
Keefe

LOL Seth, I think that is too true, good to see u are giving the GT a work out already, even giving it to Franz. His comments of not keeping up in the corners are funny, maybe he just needs to go deeper on brakes???????

Brakes, what are brakes, I've hardly used them so far, it's pretty funny, this baby just sticks so well, so well I'm not used to it and I still back off way early. I really never touched the brakes hard enough to do much break-in. Perhaps today.

[quote name='agctr']LOL Seth, I think that is too true, good to see u are giving the GT a work out already, even giving it to Franz. His comments of not keeping up in the corners are funny, maybe he just needs to go deeper on brakes???????[/quote] And Seth has more experience in autocrossing and the like, so I'm being a bit more conservative in my driving while I get more acquainted with the car's limits. :D

And that's perfectly alright Franz, would rather have it that way. BTW, remind me next time to bring 2-ways, cell phones are a PITA. And no, nobody has to mention Nextel. I'm not switching just for that. :lol:

[quote name='SUBE555']And that's perfectly alright Franz, would rather have it that way. BTW, remind me next time to bring 2-ways, cell phones are a PITA. And no, nobody has to mention Nextel. I'm not switching just for that. :lol:[/quote] Shopko had a good deal on a pair of Motorola's with like a 5 mile range I think it said.

[quote name='SUBE555']I have a nice pair, know where they were? Right here on my desk at home. *smacks self upside head* :lol:[/quote] lol well I just bought a pair from Shopko today for $45. So then I'll keep one in the car all the time. What's our dedicated Suby channel going to be? :D

[quote name='agctr']Would upgrading the brake fluid also assist in breaking better and more harder more often, I have been told this will also help to reduce fade.[/quote] That's what I've heard as well. Upgraded lines and better fluid can yield better results.

I was using I think SuperBlue in my old GT. It seemed to make a difference. Had the StopTech Stainless lines and the fluid changed at the same time. Noticed a good difference in braking pedal feel. It was much more responsive and less spongy.

I haven't pounded on them yet so hard to tell. I tend to coast as much as I can before stopping as to help the fuel mileage out a bit. Yes, I plan on Stoptech Stainless lines, and probably Carbotech pads, perhaps the same brake fluid too. It worked well on the previous, at least for drivers feedback, therefore I will probably do it again. I had previously used some Cobb-recommended pads, and [url=http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Akebono&model=ProACT+Ceramic+Pads]Akebono Pro-ACT[/url] and they felt alright, but I think the slightly more agressive Carbotechs might suit my needs better. :)

I must apologise Franz, yes those comments of mine may have been abit on the early side of things. Seth, sounds like you are running the green off the tyres pretty well, just be a bit careful in the wet as from experience, when you do go over the grip edge you are a total passenger. And let me say, I love those smalll little reflectors on the road as they have saved me from some big sideways action on occasions. Breaker Breaker, thats a big 10 4 ! Outtie....

[quote name='axis008'][url]http://www.speedoptions.com/articles/4540/index.php?pg=1[/url] This site has other alternatives to that bedding procedure.[/quote] The last one says you should see the rotor turn blue near the mounting bolts.. I sure hope they are referring to two-piece rotors, because otherwise say buh-bye to your bearings!

Alright, who thinks this is normal besides my local dealer? I'm not the absolute best tech by any means, but I know carbon steel rotors won't score like this (.050 to .100 or deeper) in less than 500 miles from new. They say it's just a rock or something (must have been a diamond to do that), they said all of the rotors should get that at one point or another. I've never seen this on any of our other Subaru's or cars we've ever owned for that matter! [img]http://homepage.mac.com/futureofx/.Pictures/NEWGT/ScoreZOut.JPG[/img] [img]http://homepage.mac.com/futureofx/.Pictures/NEWGT/ScoreZIn.JPG[/img]

Archived