LegacyGT.com

Heads on EJ25 to EJ257?

So would I have to look and see what heads I have? Reason I ask is there is a new EJ257 for sale pistons, pushrods and all for $1,700.00. Want to make sure my heads will fit on it without trouble. From the places I been looking it seems to be the cheapest way to get it back on the road. Also was thinking maybe a few "Go GO parts". Nothing to extreme, Cobb tuner, under drive pulley. Any Ideas before I go purchase the engine?

Thanks again for the help!

Also is there a specific site I could check out that's not to crazy on prices for a new engine?

If you have a 2005 legacy GT you have a EJ255, all you need is a gasket set for your year car and ej257.

Do not get a under drive or light weight pulley or fly wheel if you have a clutch.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Suburban Subaru, my local dealer. CT08SpecB set me up with them so I get a good discount there.

I've saved a ton of money there on OEM parts. Just got a 5 gallon can of Extra-S for $133 with tax.

Don't want to tell you how much I've just spent on tranny parts again.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

04-07 sti,05-09 lgt, and 06+ wrx are single avcs

08+ sti is dual avcs.

Either an ej255 or ej257 block will work fine with your heads.

The difference between an ej255 and ej257 is the heads. Which make it have a slight difference in compression ratios. Depending on if you have d25 or b25 heads

04-07 sti,05-09 lgt, and 06+ wrx are single avcs

08+ sti is dual avcs.

Either an ej255 or ej257 block will work fine with your heads.

The difference between an ej255 and ej257 is the heads. Which make it have a slight difference in compression ratios. Depending on if you have d25 or b25 heads

i thought that the pistons were different as well, with the 255 having 2 cut outs and the 257 having 4

i thought that the pistons were different as well, with the 255 having 2 cut outs and the 257 having 4

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106.html

In my thread think it's after post 26 you'll find pictures of both the new ej257 and the old ej255.

I can't view the pictures at work.

From my years on here, I think the only real difference is the numbers in the ej255 and ej257. For 99% of us it really doesn't matter.

I was also told that when you order a ej25X your going to get the current series they are building. It's not like they keep a ej255 from 2005 on the shelf.

They do say the the ej257 has a better crank. Again for 99% of us it really doesn't matter.

They ej257 is cheaper by like $200.00 so it's a no brainer to go with it.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106.html

In my thread think it's after post 26 you'll find pictures of both the new ej257 and the old ej255.

I can't view the pictures at work.

From my years on here, I think the only real difference is the numbers in the ej255 and ej257. For 99% of us it really doesn't matter.

I was also told that when you order a ej25X your going to get the current series they are building. It's not like they keep a ej255 from 2005 on the shelf.

They do say the the ej257 has a better crank. Again for 99% of us it really doesn't matter.

They ej257 is cheaper by like $200.00 so it's a no brainer to go with it.

Thanks a million!!! Definitly made me feel a lot more comfortable with the purchase. now while it is out and the build is under way. would I benefit from an under drive pulley, I understand any lil bit will help but will the cost to gain equal out? I seen the Cobb tuner for like 400.00 so Im really interested In that! Does it have canned tunes on it already?

I tried adding a CAI to it and the car wouldn't run, It would start up and idle very rough then die out. dunno if with the tuner I could perhaps set parameters on it to bring the idle up or to ass why it surges like that with it on.

No No No

No CAI

No underdrive or light weight crank pulley.

I would not do a LW Flywheel again if I had to do it over again.

Why you ask ?

BECAUSE NOT RACE CAR !!!

;)

Both my cars do have panel filters, the wagon a Perrin since Aug 04 and the Spec a K&N from this April. Lightly oil them and clean them once/twice a year.

The big thing is you want to get the car off the factory MAP and on a stage 1 tune from either Cobb AP or open source tune.

Do you have a catless up pipe ? that is a good thing to do for 05 & 06's.

^this. And put money aside for buckets (~400$) if you are going to have your heads resurfaced you'll more than likely need them. I have a ej257 and 05'sti heads- so many combinations will work- just make sure you get single avcs heads (don't do more work than you have to.

No No No

No CAI

No underdrive or light weight crank pulley.

I would not do a LW Flywheel again if I had to do it over again.

Why you ask ?

BECAUSE NOT RACE CAR !!!

;)

Both my cars do have panel filters, the wagon a Perrin since Aug 04 and the Spec a K&N from this April. Lightly oil them and clean them once/twice a year.

The big thing is you want to get the car off the factory MAP and on a stage 1 tune from either Cobb AP or open source tune.

Do you have a catless up pipe ? that is a good thing to do for 05 & 06's.

Turbo back catless, Just a resonator. Im looking to create a little more power out of it. I understand the tuner will do this and all but does it hurt to add on any other bolt on's? I just thought that it couldn't hurt to do them, But if you say no that means it saves me money lol.

Also not looking for a all out race car just so that im not the "slow one" I went to the track and the car ran a 15.5 in the 1/4 I was just messing around to see what it would do and I was pretty disappointed with it lol. Hopefully the Cobb tuner will change and remap everything to make a lil more power

^this. And put money aside for buckets (~400$) if you are going to have your heads resurfaced you'll more than likely need them. I have a ej257 and 05'sti heads- so many combinations will work- just make sure you get single avcs heads (don't do more work than you have to.

Yea Im bringing them to the same guy that machined the heads on my 04 ram 1500, that's my power house :p

Also forgive me again what are AVCS heads?

The stock intake is hard to beat until your making big HP. It is a CAI.

LWFW and LWCP can cause issues.

Some of us with LWFW agree, worst MOD we did.

a stage 1 tune will be a noticeable difference, it's how the car should have came from the factory.

My son ran my wagon thru the 1/4 mile at 13.85 back about April 05.

Archived