LegacyGT.com

To minimize body roll which would you do first? Shocks or sways?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did sways first and then spring/shock.

Sways won IMO

Didn't feel much improvement aside from eliminating front end lifts on accel with the shock/springs.

It would depend on the spring, wouldn't it? Swifts (my spring) made a huge difference on roll all by themselves.

Coming from blown struts with s-techs i can say that My HD's with stock springs made a big difference in body roll. I autox'd the Stechs and they bottomed out so bad the mud flap things in front of the rear tires were scrapping the ground in corners.

My first aftermarket springs on a LGT were Swifts. Bars made a far bigger change than the Swifts/Tokicos did.

Tires do not reduce body roll. But the OEM tires (which many owners now never had or dont remember) are worthless. Crap Re wannabe 92's. Biggest change to overall handling is swapping to a good set of tires. Next is sways. Then springs/struts.

My opinion is not based on my experience with just my LGT's (4 of them now). It is based on my own personal cars and the hundreds of customers cars I have worked on.

But, it is still just an opinion, given freely. So, I suppose it is worthless.

G-load from increased grip effects body roll. Tires can effect body roll.
The first person to bring up tires said that getting better tires reduces body roll.

What you're saying is that increased traction from better tires allows you to corner faster, which causes more body roll. Which is absolutely true. But I personally wouldn't say that body roll actually increases, at least not relative to the cornering forces experienced.

Same way springs effect body roll, except that in a spring the spring is the spring, in a tire the sidewall is the spring.
Fair enough, but I honestly, that's the last place I would look to reducing body roll. Unless the sidewalls on the tires are made of jelly and underinflated, I'd argue that the impact is very miniscule.

I edited my previous post about the same time you quoted me, bc I meant to say good tires are one of the other best means of upgrading suspension.

Didn't mean to say they minimize body roll, I assume more grip would increase body roll.

I completely agree that its not the best/first or any place to go on a street car. It is important to understand when looking to shave time off though. The Hoosier chart shows you that PSI and tires will have a big effect on grip and balance.

Please explain to me how tires affect body roll.

You asked, I answered. Then you turn it around. If looking for fireworks please take it to the proper arena.

If you have something of value to add to the conversation by all means please do.

You asked, I answered. Then you turn it around. If looking for fireworks please take it to the proper arena.

If you have something of value to add to the conversation by all means please do.

I asked the other guy, not you. He was the immediate post before mine. YOU actually said: "Tires do not reduce body roll" so why would I ask YOU to explain how it affects it? :confused: I was asking the other guy who said it reduces body roll, and apparently he's right, it does, but to a very small degree.

Also, I'm one of the last people you should be telling to keep things on topic or leave the thread, even in this thread. I kept it to the topic: I asked a question (directed to someone else) that was quite relevant, although admittedly a bit antagonistic. farberio was kind enough to explain a bit more despite my having started off rude. Back off, I have no bone to pick with you. Just didn't 100% agree with what you said, and still don't, so I clarified it.

The right tires can help a little bit with body roll. Stiff sidewall/wider tire/larger diameter wheel versus soft sidewall/narrower tire/smaller diameter wheel can make a little difference although most of what you'll notice will be the tire not actually folding under on the wheel.

I completely agree that its not the best/first or any place to go on a street car. It is important to understand when looking to shave time off though. The Hoosier chart shows you that PSI and tires will have a big effect on grip and balance.

Something like what Renault did to compensate for the swing axles at the rear end of the car - low air pressure on the front tires, high at the rear to create more understeer. Driving with same pressure on all tires on those car caused oversteer.

453747.png

I can't say I am familiar with that particular example but that's basically correct. Though, I would have suspected they would run low in the rear and high in the front to create the understeer.

Anyone who has auto-xd or done track days and played around with the PSI would probably have felt a difference in the car.

Archived