LegacyGT.com

Sedan to Wagon exhaust system

flipxstar23

Hi, does anyone know if sedan type exhaust from STI or Legacy would fit on a Legacy Wagon? I've been searching this entire time but no one seem to mention about it and would highly appreciate if someone could educate me on this one =)

It's possible to modify a 02-07 WRX catback to fit, but it needs to be lengthened and hangers moved. If you can weld or have a good exhaust shop it's doable. Really I'd just have a shop fab up a 2.25-2.5" catback. If that's what you want. You can buy flange, muffler, and resonator off of summit if you want something specific and take it to them to fab it up.
All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

On 4th gens, Legacy sedan and Legacy wagon exhausts are interchangeable (same hanger locations), but the bumper on the wagon is longer, so sedan pipes look tucked in and vice versa. I've got a Borla sedan exhaust on my wagon. It's not quite right, but it's not totally wrong either. Not sure about 2004s though.

It's possible to modify a 02-07 WRX catback to fit, but it needs to be lengthened and hangers moved. If you can weld or have a good exhaust shop it's doable. Really I'd just have a shop fab up a 2.25-2.5" catback. If that's what you want. You can buy flange, muffler, and resonator off of summit if you want something specific and take it to them to fab it up.

Basically, any type of 02 - 07 wrx catback has to be modified no matter right? Will it be cheaper buying a whole catback or buying piece by piece seperate? I really don't mind what brand it is, as long as it could sound similar to a wrx/sti.

On 4th gens, Legacy sedan and Legacy wagon exhausts are interchangeable (same hanger locations), but the bumper on the wagon is longer, so sedan pipes look tucked in and vice versa. I've got a Borla sedan exhaust on my wagon. It's not quite right, but it's not totally wrong either. Not sure about 2004s though.

So third generation sedan and wagon are not interchangeable then? When I looked at my stock exhaust, the muffler is actually not sticking out, more like not reaching all the way out of the bumper, I'm not sure if that's how it is with subaru wagons. So what can i do at this point? should I just buy a WRX catback exhaust and just have it extended? So far I haven't been able to find an exhaust that is mainly for my wagon. Oh by the way, my car is a 2004 Subaru Legacy L 35th Anniversary Wagon 2.5L Manual.

So third generation sedan and wagon are not interchangeable then?

I'm sorry. I don't actually know the answer to this question. I was hoping to give you more information about the 4th gens to help you on your way, but I do not technically have the information you seek. I noticed that you had a third gen in your profile, but I just don't know enough about 3rd gens to say one way or the other for sure. Sorry I'm not more help. Good luck. I say if it just looks a little short and functions the way it's supposed to, live with it. That's what I'm doing.

I'm sorry. I don't actually know the answer to this question. I was hoping to give you more information about the 4th gens to help you on your way, but I do not technically have the information you seek. I noticed that you had a third gen in your profile, but I just don't know enough about 3rd gens to say one way or the other for sure. Sorry I'm not more help. Good luck. I say if it just looks a little short and functions the way it's supposed to, live with it. That's what I'm doing.

Oh no, you actually helped me out here, at least I have a clue on what I could do since I noticed you also have a 2005 wagon. What exhaust system do you have? I'm guessing yours is not sticking out of the bumper but tucked in right? That way I'll have ideas on what I could do with mine. Thank you for your help

Borla. Does not have a wagon version. So this is sedan fitment on a 4th gen wagon.

That's not bad then, problem is that my bumper doesn't have a cutout figure for the tip of the muffler, would that be okay without the cutout for my bumper?

• 4 years later...

If anyone has photos of the reverse I would be very interested in seeing that. That is, photos of a stock wagon catback on a sedan?

I may be picking up an OEM OBXT catback to put away for later so I'm prepared if I need to return my cat to stock.

Now that I think about it - are the OBXT and LGT-wagon stock catbacks the same? I assume so.

(2005-2009)

Hi, does anyone know if sedan type exhaust from STI or Legacy would fit on a Legacy Wagon? I've been searching this entire time but no one seem to mention about it and would highly appreciate if someone could educate me on this one =)

i have a 2005 usdm legacy gt wagonand have an exhaust for a 2005 usdm sedan on it. the exhaust fits but the pipes are just a inch or 2 short of the rear bumper

Archived