LegacyGT.com

My Legacy GT vs New Maxima

Rear ended by a 17 Year old with no license in a "stolen" car.

Story:

Waiting in line at a stop light behind a ROW of 15 cars on 42nd street and Broadway in NYC. Around 1:30 AM

All of the sudden BOOM!!! No screeching or anything straight rear end collision that knocked me back into my seat. Pushed within INCHES of the car in front of me but no contact. No brakes had even been attempted on the part of the maxima driver. No skid marks nothing. Estimated speed was approx 30mph.

Cops come Nissan was basicly non drivable. I come to learn:

- The kid does not have a drivers license hes underage at 17.

- Hes driving his aunts 3 day old car with fresh temp registration stickers.

Cops take a police report and deem my car drivable, so they let me go and told them to contact them for a copy of the report.... Will do...

Monday I call state farm the car owners insurance company and lo and behold or just shockingly convenient the aunt reported the car STOLEN! This means a few things:

- The insurance policy holder will not be held liable

- I must go through my own insurance and make a claim

- Im down a 500 dollar deductable.

Today I call my insurance company claiming zero liability. They say I will have to sue the driver to collect my money.

On the plus side they did appraise my car at ~$3400 worth of damage and it is being repaired now.

Comments...

No pictures of the Maxima too dark and no real camera... but both airbags went off and the front end was all crumpled in and the hood was pushed in, the radiator was bashed up and the bumper beam bucked in half. Fluids leaking everywhere The max was in MUCH worse shape.

Pictures of the legacy as follows. Dosent look too bad, the NYPD had even asked me if I was a secondary collision. The tow truck driver commented "what is that thing made out of steel" On the plus side I found out the legacy is very rear end crashworthy.

Pix:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/RobY6298/rear%20ended/DSC01522.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/RobY6298/rear%20ended/DSC01523.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/RobY6298/rear%20ended/DSC01524.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/RobY6298/rear%20ended/DSC01525.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/RobY6298/rear%20ended/DSC01526.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/RobY6298/rear%20ended/DSC01527.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/RobY6298/rear%20ended/DSC01528.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/RobY6298/rear%20ended/DSC01531.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/RobY6298/rear%20ended/DSC01532.jpg

Yeah its a no fault state.

But in very obvious cases of negligence you can make a 3rd party claim from the other drivers insurance company. Which is what I did. This is as pretty much cut and dry as it gets. No drivers license, straight on rear end collision while my vehicle was not in motion.

Unfortunately they will deny the claim if the owner claims that it was "stolen" I hope somebody goes to jail for insurance fraud.

Unfortunately they will deny the claim if the owner claims that it was "stolen" I hope somebody goes to jail for insurance fraud.

Wait, if the owner reports the car as stolen shouldn't the kid be arrested for grand theft auto?

Wow, that's all the LGT suffered in a 30mph impact? I figured your rear-end would bear brunt of the blow as you were the still object. Impressive work on Subaru's part. Sorry to hear about your bad luck nonetheless.

So what happened to that kid? Arrested on the spot, to be bailed out by his mom/pop in the morning? Don't tell us he was released on the spot.

Also, are you able to find out if that kid and his aunt live under the same address? If so, car being "stolen" won't be as believable. Might be worth looking into. Lastly, did you go for tests on your neck, back, skull? You might not feel the effects until several days after. GL w/everything.

Also, are you able to find out if that kid and his aunt live under the same address? If so, car being "stolen" won't be as believable.

the same address shouldn't make a difference. i live with my parents and they leave their keys laying on the table in plain sight. i can easily take the keys and speed off. but without proper permission from them, the car can be considered stolen since it is not my car and i did not have permission to use it. probably hapens more often than anyone thinks.

Thats what the NYPD accident guy told me. The federal requirement for airbag deployment is a deceleration equivalent to: A straight on 14mph into a solid unmovable barrier or an impact at twice the speed (28mph) into a stationary object (ie. parked car) of the same mass.

This is pretty much as square on as you can get and both his airbags deployed. Thus the 30 mph estimate.

It's difficult to determine the exact speed but it was AT LEAST a speed difference of 30mph or MORE based on the conditions of airbag deployment.

The maxima actually bore the majority of the blow. The front end basicly disintegrated the bumper beam was buckled in the radiator was pushed in. I could see that the crumple zones began crumpling. I'm led to believe the front end of any car is typically softer and is made to be that way to soften the impact of a frontal crash.

His cousins actually came and told him he had to eat it to his face. They pretty much threw him under the bus. Im not sure if he got arrested. He most likely did. The NYPD officer told me that I was done here and I could leave. They were still handling the debacle on the other end.

I'm most likely medically fine.

Wow, that's all the LGT suffered in a 30mph impact? I figured your rear-end would bear brunt of the blow as you were the still object. Impressive work on Subaru's part. Sorry to hear about your bad luck nonetheless.

So what happened to that kid? Arrested on the spot, to be bailed out by his mom/pop in the morning? Don't tell us he was released on the spot.

Also, are you able to find out if that kid and his aunt live under the same address? If so, car being "stolen" won't be as believable. Might be worth looking into. Lastly, did you go for tests on your neck, back, skull? You might not feel the effects until several days after. GL w/everything.

So i guess we all can stop debating Legacy Gt vs. Maxima you proved who would win :lol:

glad to see you are ok and your car isnt that knocked up... i would definatly go after the punk who hit you.. he is 17 but will be held as an adult in the courts...

3400 isnt to bad for rear end damage but is that including the cost of a rental.. im assuming you wont have a vehicle for a number of days/weeks.. no fault ins. is very lame... you should not be held accountable for doing nothing wrong..

whats wrong with our justice system that you are held accountable for getting rear ended, while a woman can blame mcdonalds for getting burnt after spilling a cup of coffee on herself yet claim because the cup didn't say hot she was not accountable for her clumsyness.. :spin::spin:

and to the member who said time for an 08 rear end conversion.... PLEASE NO.... those fagtastic dimple reflectors have no purpose but to uglify the otherwise beautiful uniform rear end of your car... and chrome trim around the 08 brakelights is just plain stupid and tacky, its a subaru not a harley, chrome is the most over rated thing ever...

Well one good thing came from all this in my opinion...

I emailed this thread to my friend Nik last night, shes been searching for a new car for 2 months now (currently has a 97 legacy L wagon) and has been leaning towards the new altima, anyway, she went today and test drove an 08 legacy 2.5i, loved it, and will probably getting it very soon. month or so.

wow, when I was rear ended a few months ago the damage looked exactly the same. the wrap around of the bumper just popped out from the sides, but the front end of the lexus that hit me was destroyed. no skid marks from her car either.

another case of legacy = tank heh

• 1 month later...
Most likely the aunt reported it stolen to bail out of the responsibility. Had she claimed him as permissive driver, as I'm sure it happened, she would have been on hook for the accident, rates would have shot up, possibly could have lost insurance if she had other past incidents, etc.

Archived