LegacyGT.com

Subaru Reports Best Febraury Sales in Almost 20 Years

Didn't see this posted anywhere yet.

Subaru of America, Inc. today reported total sales for February of 14,524 units. This total represents a seven percent increase over the previous year, and is the best February sales since 1986. In addition, both Legacy and Forester model lines posted double digit growth.

“February was a great month for Subaru, one of the best in our history,” said Fred Adcock, executive vice president, Subaru of America, Inc. “We are pleased to see this positive momentum as customers continue to recognize the benefits of Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive. Sales of our core products showed double digit growth, and we expect this trend to continue.”

The Subaru Legacy model line recorded a 14 percent increase in February with 6,711 units. Legacy Sedan sales were up 39 percent from the same period last year and Subaru Outback also recorded strong sales of 4,592 units for the month. Subaru Forester posted 5,053 units in February, showing a 16 percent increase from the prior year. The Impreza line recorded 2,273 unit sales, while Subaru Baja recorded 487 units for the month.

I'm betting the rough winter in the northeast and midwest attributed to this a little, but it's good to see legacy sales jump forward. It's gonna be interesting to see how the Consumer Reports news ties into the figures for the upcoming months.

Count a Regal Blue manual GT in there for me. :) Man, you think with sales like that they would send us all a 'Thank You' gift or something.... Oh well. I guess having my Legacy is good enough for me.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I think part of it is that the big snowstorms out east wiped out a few weekends in january, hence the low jan sales. These people finally dug themselves out and bought new cars in feb. I'll admit, most of the reason is because the car is bad ass. I can't imagine having a different car right now.

I think there are way more vehicle options now than there were in 1986. They have a much smaller market share than they did 20 years ago. Back in the day if you wanted a Subaru-esque car then your only choice was a subaru. Now with so many AWD choices and SUVs (which were pretty limited in '86) people have a lot more to consider when they buy a car.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Were AMC/Eagle still in business in 86? I forget when they stopped making the lifted Eagle sedan and wagon with AWD, and went to rebadging chrysler/mitsubishi products. Now Plymouth and Oldsmobile have joined it on the junkheap of historic auto nameplates.

But yeah, it is amazing (and I am very thankfull) that SUV sales haven't obliterated AWD car sales altogether, plus all the sub-brands and badge engineering of both the Big 3 and Japanese companies like Honda and Toyota, and their growth in general. The pie slices are definitely getting thinner. Any market that will support 5+ different models of the exact same GM SUV is getting sliver thin.

Archived