LegacyGT.com

one bad tire, what to do ?

JohnEylesj

Recently purchased used 2006 2.5i Limited with 25K miles.

Guy's wife was driving it long time with one tire VERY low

and he was too busy to check it, thus the tire is badly worn

(cords starting to show) along the edges, whereas the other

three are in pretty good shape with only the 25Kmiles of wear.

They are Bridgestone Potenza RE92A in 225-55R17 size.

I am wondering what to do. Seller was ready to replace all

4, but we negotiated that out in final price. It seems silly to

me to scrap 3 good tires, yet I know these AWD cars want all

4 replaced at once and I sure don't want to damage the drive

train on a nearly new car.

I suppose next step is to get the wheels off the ground and see

what circumference of the three good tires is versus a new one

(since I don't HAVE the new one, I need some way to make sure

I'm measuring it the same way the tire spec quotes it, ideas ?)

What about "shaving" the new one down ? Is that a good idea,

and do most tire shops do this ?

Thanks.

Replace them all

The re92s are horrible, horrible tires anyhow. The car is transformed with some decent rubber.

What do you like ?

And get an alignment.

I hope the problem really WAS under-inflation. If not, it's

still got a year of bumper-to-bumper (and 3 of power-train)

warranty left, so I need to decide pretty quick if there's some

suspension issue and try to get it fixed. Thoughts on how to

proceed here ?

What do you like ?

What do you need?

I run some pretty sticky auto-x tires that won't last 10k mi. (Dunlop Durezza Z1 Star Specs). I don't think these are for you, but I do recommend them, I think, if you're that kind of driver.

General Exclam UHPs are a good all-around cheap summer tire (if you live somewhere warm or will do winters, which BTW, are worth it). Bridgestone RE050A Pole Positions if you're willing to spend the coin.

I'm not one for all-seasons, but I've been pretty impressed (for what they are) by the Pilot Exaltos on my dad's car. I think dedicated winters are a better way to go, but that's one option.

I hope the problem really WAS under-inflation. If not, it's

still got a year of bumper-to-bumper (and 3 of power-train)

warranty left, so I need to decide pretty quick if there's some

suspension issue and try to get it fixed. Thoughts on how to

proceed here ?

Get a alignment. Try to find a good shop. (Find your local auto-x forum and see who they use) If the alignment is good or it can be aligned, you're golden. If it can't be aligned, then you have issues. Note that alignment is generally not covered by warranty.

What do you need?

I definitely don't wanna do separate winter tires. I think

I want "grand touring" or "high perf A/S" or maybe "ultra high

perf A/S".

Get a alignment. Try to find a good shop. (Find your local auto-x forum and see who they use) If the alignment is good or it can be aligned, you're golden. If it can't be aligned, then you have issues. Note that alignment is generally not covered by warranty.

Ok, thanks. Getting the alignment itself ain't covered I'm sure, but of

course if something is awry a good alignment shop should let me know

I have a warranty issue ...

• 1 month later...

Had a nail in my rear passenger tire. OEM Bridgestone's. F'n hated them. Good riddens to bad rubbish. I put Toyo Proxes T1-Rs on, and that made a big difference. Bridgestone's SUCK!!

Only had these for one day so far, but these are great tires so far.

If I had something important to say, I wouldn't tell you anyway.

I've got a similar problem with one blown unrepairable tire. I've got about 5-6/32 left on the other three tires. Will I be ok just getting 2 new tires? What kind of problems will I run into if I only replace the front two?

Probably none. My friend has replaced just 1 tire a couple times and his WRX has 130k on it with no diff problems. He also doesn't rotate tires very often and ends up with the fronts much more worn than the rears.

If your tires are half worn, the difference in circumference is about 1%. Yes, I did the math.

I've yet to hear about anyone using 1 or 2 tires that are worn unevenly and experience a diff failure.

I definitely don't wanna do separate winter tires. I think

I want "grand touring" or "high perf A/S" or maybe "ultra high

perf A/S".

Ok, thanks. Getting the alignment itself ain't covered I'm sure, but of

course if something is awry a good alignment shop should let me know

I have a warranty issue ...

Not sure what climate you drive in but I got the BFG G-force super sport for my all season tire. They are probably not great for true winter driving but none the less a great all season performance tire. Here's the thread....

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82079&highlight=specbee

Probably none. My friend has replaced just 1 tire a couple times and his WRX has 130k on it with no diff problems. He also doesn't rotate tires very often and ends up with the fronts much more worn than the rears.

If your tires are half worn, the difference in circumference is about 1%. Yes, I did the math.

I've yet to hear about anyone using 1 or 2 tires that are worn unevenly and experience a diff failure.

Just because one friend happened to not have issues for maintaining his car poorly does not mean you should recommend it to another person.

IMO, do the right thing. Get 4 new tires and piece of mind.

I have seen quite a few that replaced just 2 tires and ruined their transfer clutches. Just because your friend did not see this(5 speeds are more forgiving than autos) does not mean that is the case. I do not gamble like that when it comes down to a $1100+ repair when it comes to doing what I should.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Had a nail in my rear passenger tire. OEM Bridgestone's. F'n hated them. Good riddens to bad rubbish. I put Toyo Proxes T1-Rs on, and that made a big difference. Bridgestone's SUCK!!

Only had these for one day so far, but these are great tires so far.

I did the exact same thing, nail in tire that could not be fixed/patched, replaced all 4 with Toyo Proxies.

hmmm...when I purchased my car from a subaru dealer (2005 w/ 25k miles, now almost 30k, about 3 months ago) it had basically one brand new tire on it (on a rim with some serious curb rash, i believe the girl who owned it before me couldnt parallel park to save her life) .... the dealer wouldnt screw me by just replacing one when they should've replaced all of them....would they? this makes me feel like i need to check the circumference of all the tires. i read the manual when i first got the car and saw the thing about the tire change, but i figured the dealer would have set it up right...

I have seen quite a few that replaced just 2 tires and ruined their transfer clutches. Just because your friend did not see this(5 speeds are more forgiving than autos) does not mean that is the case. I do not gamble like that when it comes down to a $1100+ repair when it comes to doing what I should.

Just sharing my experience. You bring up a good point, that the auto and manual transmissions may have different sensitivities. I've searched through threads on this issue on nasioc where there is probably a higher percentage of manual transmission cars.

Everyone in this thread so far has just regurgitated what the manual says: "replace all four" because that is the safe bet. Is that advice based on any data? Nobody has offered any experience with replacing only 1 or 2 tires except for me.

Just sharing my experience. You bring up a good point, that the auto and manual transmissions may have different sensitivities. I've searched through threads on this issue on nasioc where there is probably a higher percentage of manual transmission cars.

Everyone in this thread so far has just regurgitated what the manual says: "replace all four" because that is the safe bet. Is that advice based on any data? Nobody has offered any experience with replacing only 1 or 2 tires except for me.

My advice is based on the Subaru's that come to us with transfer bind and a good portion of it is due to them not changing all 4 tires when they should have, they replaced just 2.

When you replace a tire, you should always measure the circumference of all the other tires. If there is more than a 1/4" difference among the new ones and the old one, REPLACE THE OLD ONES TOO.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I work for a Subaru dealership. Most of them that we have seen have been with the auto's.

Have you seen any problems on manuals? If so, what get's damaged?

I don't think I have seen any, but my techs have been here since 1995 so I am sure they have seen some.

blackfang, through your experience working at a dealer, would the dealership replace all four tires if the circumference was off? one tire was noticeably newer when I purchased the vehicle from the dealership.

We are talking two different things..A used car and what the used car manager will do or try and not do verse what I recommend to my customers.

If it was my customer and we found 1 tire beyond the spec, I would recommend that they replace all of them. If the customer wants to replace 2, then can do so. I just annotate it on the paperwork for documentation purposes.

Archived