LegacyGT.com

Accident caught on my dashcam

Scruit

I'm curious as to why you have a camera in the car? LEO?

This video is a perfect example of why. If I had hit the guy then he could easily claim I drifted into his lane, or I was speeding or not paying attention or didn't brake quickly enough. Wouldn't be the first time the other driver lied to the police.

This video is a perfect example of why. If I had hit the guy then he could easily claim I drifted into his lane, or I was speeding or not paying attention or didn't brake quickly enough. Wouldn't be the first time the other driver lied to the police.

Good job avoiding! Ya one day I want to film what I see driving... so much crazy shit! :spin:

what are you using for the dash cam, I would like to get one too.

I was wondering the same... What kind of camera, where is it mounted, where is the recording stored, is there more than one, etc, etc.

There are 3 cameras: Front, Rear and Driver-facing. The front camera is a Toshiba IK6410 that cost about $200.

The video is stored on an AverDigi EB1304MOB 4ch DVR ($400) that has a 250GB hard drive. I can store several weeks of driving and it automatically overwrites the oldest video.

The DVR is installed in the trunk, and the cameras are mounted using custom brackts that attach to the windshield.

I'm working on a GPS overlay that will put speed etc on the screen.

My uncle has something like that for his motorcycle. it's really a cool thing to have

Here's the first test:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/Scruit/GPSOverlay.jpg

Problem is the speed is read direct fromt eh GPS NMEA $GPRMC sentence, so it's in knots instead of MPH. I'm working on a Zilog Z8 based circuit with a serial in and a serial out that will convert the speed to MPH, the heading from degrees to cardinal direction (N, NW etc), and the time from UTC to local time.

Nice cam setup. I've always thought you could make some decent scratch selling a consumer car cam set up and wondered why there are no 'out-of-the-box' solutions available.

Well, for this setup the hardware alone runs close to $1k, and the installation requires some pretty major wiring front to back (if you're gonna do it right, ie run the wires through the factory conduit instead of just tucking them behind panels) Plus the wiring is RG59 or RG6 which is difficult to route.

I'm looing at how much it woudl cost to put together a single or dual camera version with cat5 for the wires instead of coax. It would require baluns at each end, but you can run power + 2 cams on ONE wire.

There are 3 cameras: Front, Rear and Driver-facing. The front camera is a Toshiba IK6410 that cost about $200.

The video is stored on an AverDigi EB1304MOB 4ch DVR ($400) that has a 250GB hard drive. I can store several weeks of driving and it automatically overwrites the oldest video.

The DVR is installed in the trunk, and the cameras are mounted using custom brackts that attach to the windshield.

I'm working on a GPS overlay that will put speed etc on the screen.

Man, I love that! I was thinking about such a setup, but it's been far down on my todo list.

I'd absolutely love to replicate your setup. Can you provide more details? Where to get the equipment, etc?

:wub::wub::wub::wub:

I'm pretty close to a 'final' configuration here. (This has been evolving for 5 years, and newer technology always comes out and makes me say; "That's cool!") Most of the evolution has been from using the wrong types of cameras/lenses etc.

I'm going to so a full writeup on the installation in a few weeks. For now, the main components are the AverDigi EB1304MOB 4ch Mobile DVR ($400) and the Toshiba IK-6410 front camera with auto-iris lens ($200).

The video overlay is from ICircuits.com (GPS OSD ID, $120) and the GPS is a Garmin GPS18PC ($70).

You could get everything via Pricegrabber except the icircuits device - but I would not recommend the GPS OSD ID because the speed overlay is taken direct fro the GPS and is in knots - other devices on the market convert to MPH.

That's great! In meantime I actually found your thread on mp3car.com. This rocks!

I will most definately set up something like this, likely following your info.

When you post the update please post it here or provide link!!!

Great job.

Here's the first test:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/Scruit/GPSOverlay.jpg

Problem is the speed is read direct fromt eh GPS NMEA $GPRMC sentence, so it's in knots instead of MPH. I'm working on a Zilog Z8 based circuit with a serial in and a serial out that will convert the speed to MPH, the heading from degrees to cardinal direction (N, NW etc), and the time from UTC to local time.

Nice! It does remind me of a cop camera.

The one my uncle has speed, distance, elapsed time, and top speed... which on his bike gets scary. Having the current time is good idea too.

WTH was that "HMMMMMMM" sound after you said "i gotta... i gotta..." when you came to a stop?

anyways, great idea in having a dash cam, i'm gonna get me one of that... too much ass drivers in Socal :p

I was thinking "I'm gonna have to (hit him)" otherwise I'd be blamed for any damange (ie if I went into the ditch).

The long OOOOOO! was because I missed him by only a couple of inches... :eek:

Archived