LegacyGT.com

Accident caught on my dashcam

Scruit

It's a regular 25-GB WD jard drive that is in a hot-swap bay in the DVR. The DVR also has a USB connection so I can hook up my laptop and use thier software to backup the HD to my laptop - then I can play back the video/ff/rew inside the house.

I'm pretty close to a 'final' configuration here. (This has been evolving for 5 years, and newer technology always comes out and makes me say; "That's cool!") Most of the evolution has been from using the wrong types of cameras/lenses etc.

I'm going to so a full writeup on the installation in a few weeks. For now, the main components are the AverDigi EB1304MOB 4ch Mobile DVR ($400) and the Toshiba IK-6410 front camera with auto-iris lens ($200).

The video overlay is from ICircuits.com (GPS OSD ID, $120) and the GPS is a Garmin GPS18PC ($70).

You could get everything via Pricegrabber except the icircuits device - but I would not recommend the GPS OSD ID because the speed overlay is taken direct fro the GPS and is in knots - other devices on the market convert to MPH.

Yes please...that would be awesome. I've been wanting to do exactly this for some time now.

Can you please help us out with any additional links/vendors used besdies the ones mentioned above?

Also a "stripped-down" poor-mans version that basically would just you the one $200 dash cam only...no rear or driver-facing cameras. Although the rear camera is important...and driver-facing can catch criminals etc. THe front facing cam is the most critical.

I want to do something similar to this for my residence as well. Probably just to cover the front door...might have to use wireless or hidden camera for home surveillance.

Damn that is an awesome setup, we need pics of your equipment ASAP! :)

I removed the DVR from my car yesterday so that I could finalize the mount/installation. I've been taking pics so I can do an installation walktrough. I have a week off next week so I'll put together a how-to.

^ sweet setup

my head hurts from all the wires.

So does mine. 20% of those wires are responsible for 80% of the functionality, though. You don't *need* the GPS speed overlay or the rear/driver cameras or the vibration sensor etc. I just went through my parts bin and tried to make use of whatever I could find. :cool:

• 2 years later...

Archived