LegacyGT.com

Help, the dealership cut my door! (bad door lock)

alaskajoel

Okay, so the other day the door lock on my rear passenger side door just decided to stop working. And, of course, it got suck in the 'locked' position.:lol:

Well, it was beyond my ability, and it's under warranty, so i took it to one of the local Subaru dealerships. They said 'that sucks we'll fix it'. 2 hours later they admit that their definition of 'we'll fix it' is: 'here, let us cut your door in half and reattach your linkage' I guess one of the technicians also got pissed off at my speaker, and jammed his knife through the grill (and now my speaker doesn't work...)

So...i'm waiting for a new door to come sometime in the next 2 weeks, and i'm excited to spend another 2 hours at Subaru to put it back together. Has anyone else ever had a problem like this with their door locks randomly getting stuck in the locked position?:spin:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/alaskajoel/DSC07228.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/alaskajoel/DSC07227.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/alaskajoel/DSC07226.jpg

wait, I thought the door was two panel anyways? looks like they did a shitty job putting it back together.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

i would def forward those pics or something to SOA. wow thats crazy though. Man i would have asked for the GM and asked him if this kind of service was acceptable.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

Hey, at least they didn't go through the outer skin with an air chisel. Although, if the door is locked because the likage fell apart, and the door is closed, there really isn't any other way to get the inner door panel off other than cutting it is there?
It is still ugly.

Damn! I guess he figured the door needed to be replaced after he tore it so he might as well wreck it completely. Still unacceptable and he should goosfaba instead of taking it out on the door.

I too had that same problem with my car. However I believe it was caused by the body shop when they repainted it. I don't believe they put it back together correctly.

it's just a headache - as long as they replace the interior of the door i guess i'm alright with driving around with that....it's just the sound of the blown out speaker in the back that's soooo annoying! I've moved the sound only to the front speakers.

...if it rattles when i get the new door piece put on.....:soap_box:

SOA will hear from me....

• 7 years later...
Just solved this same problem on my 06 lgt, rear door lock stuck and door shut. Rolled down the window, removed the 3 screws from behind inside handle and armrest, popped the top of the door skin off with a screwdriver carefully then removed pannel fairly easily from there. Then reached inside the door towards the lock mechinism and felt around for the locking arm for a couple mins and flipped it toward the outside of the door. Opened door then found the door handle cable was not moving freely and ended up replacing the whole handle due to a faulty spring, the cable was not fully repeating causing the lever by the locking mech to not line up properly. Hope this helps bc there is not much info on this topc and it is very easy to remove door pannel with door closed. I have a spec b so I wasn't going to destroy my brick red inserts or drill through the door like I saw as some suguest.

Archived