LegacyGT.com

Don't Hold Your Breath for a 6-Speed Auto Transmission

Jon in CT

so basically Subaru is putting them on their AWD chassis. This has to be the first car company to do this unless Nissan is doing it with the Murano. (which I don't think they are.)

Either way, going to steer clear of them.

Also - Do we know if this is even going to be an option on the '09's '10's? Or is the 5EAT/6EAT forever moving to CVT?

would be odd.

I think its a smart move. As long as they can develop one that can sufficiently withstand the power from the turbo engines.

Think about it, you are at a dragstrip. . .you see the third yellow and you go WOT. Engine speed rises to peak power (say about 6000 rpm). . .and it just stays at 6000 until you reach the finish line. Wow. . .that was incredibly unexciting!

But getting 30+ mpg on the way home is what it was designed for.

I thought CVT's were for Front wheel drive ONLY cars? Am I wrong?

You are. Just about any hybrid you buy is a CVT. The Accord is not. GM is way far behind and still utilizes a 4 spd auto. The GS450h is RWD, LS600h is AWD and both use CVTs. Anyway, the article talks about increasing fuel economy to meet the standards. To me, the solution to do this and remain competitive in the U.S. is to go hybrid, hence the CVT development.

You are. Just about any hybrid you buy is a CVT. The Accord is not. GM is way far behind and still utilizes a 4 spd auto. The GS450h is RWD, LS600h is AWD and both use CVTs. Anyway, the article talks about increasing fuel economy to meet the standards. To me, the solution to do this and remain competitive in the U.S. is to go hybrid, hence the CVT development.

Well, glad to be more informed.

If Subaru starts using CVT I am never buying a Subaru again. Garbage can transmission - if you try to cut in traffic - a deathtrap.

Subaru already had a cvt in 1989 on the Justy GL. Does this make you never buy another Subaru?

CVT = bad .... if you are in a tight situation and need to punch it to get around a big semi or somthing.... it wont happen, no acceleration power.... i personaly wouldnt by any car with that type of transmission for that specific reason... ( if you remember the commercial about the new Nissan Maxima ( example ) its new cvt engine, ( no shift shock ), it wont downshift if you need to get more power

Archived